Changed my chainring now everything is outa wack

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
I've been having the same issue, since going to a 36t chainring - the chain slipping on the smallest cog.

So, the answer would be to replace the chain and cassette? My Levo has done 500 miles, according to the app. does that sound normal, to have a worn cassette after that mileage?

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
It's flat.

I do remember noticing that the chain did look pretty worn when I changed the chain ring and since reading other threads, I'm putting it down to that.

My LBS sells Sram PC X1 11 speed, which I have read is suitable. Would this be an upgrade on the stock chain?

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It's flat.

I do remember noticing that the chain did look pretty worn when I changed the chain ring and since reading other threads, I'm putting it down to that.

My LBS sells Sram PC X1 11 speed, which I have read is suitable. Would this be an upgrade on the stock chain?
I am using SRAM 10 and 11S on my bikes, no issue

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I've been having the same issue, since going to a 36t chainring - the chain slipping on the smallest cog.

So, the answer would be to replace the chain and cassette? My Levo has done 500 miles, according to the app. does that sound normal, to have a worn cassette after that mileage?
I would say ur cassette is fuxked bro . Get a new one and change the chain whilst ur at it . Then ride the lightning ?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
84 mm from the pivot centre to the centre of the clutch .In the highest gear [ smallest sprocket ] .
For those that don`t have SRAM B screw gauge .

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
the 36T will hopefully help with lower sprocket wear as you are more likely to use 9th/10th more often. at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself :)

At present I'm running 2 chains and swapping every 6 weeks or so. The theory is if one breaks I can carry on with the next one. They are also hopefully less likely to react badly to the cassette being in a different state of wear. Previous cassette wouldn't take a new chain (skipped), and the old chain "only" measured 0.5mm stretch.

TBH I'm a bit depressed at the drive train wearing out so quick all the time. I try to be kind to it, and also keep it clean. At my usage I'm looking at about 3 complete drive trains a year.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
the 36T will hopefully help with lower sprocket wear as you are more likely to use 9th/10th more often. at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself :)

At present I'm running 2 chains and swapping every 6 weeks or so. The theory is if one breaks I can carry on with the next one. They are also hopefully less likely to react badly to the cassette being in a different state of wear. Previous cassette wouldn't take a new chain (skipped), and the old chain "only" measured 0.5mm stretch.

TBH I'm a bit depressed at the drive train wearing out so quick all the time. I try to be kind to it, and also keep it clean. At my usage I'm looking at about 3 complete drive trains a year.
My Giant has 10 S 11-42 with 36 front. I never use the 11 so for my use 9S 13-42 does the job.
Up north i use it about 7 months and 1.5 chain is plenty for a season.
I have no clue why some buy 11 or 12 S for an Ebike, it just does not make sense
at least in my area. I love to climb and 36/42 does the job.
36/13 is plenty so i need less shifting using 9 speeds.
That is with 27.5x2.6 or 2.8

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles