Changed my chainring now everything is outa wack

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Went from 32 to 36 .now shifting is outa wack Wont go to lowest gear and shifting is poor. I played around with cable tension and put chain on lowest gear . Chain was slipping also. I wonder if my chain was worn . And now I need a new chain . I do have a spare chain in the shed .I don't own a chain checker .. hmm . Man my shifting was spot on before this . And I find derailer adjusting very frustrating.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Agreed, you've added 4 teeth but not added 4 links to your chain, so if there's no slack in the system it's too short by 2 inches.

Why change the derailleur set up when nothing has changed apart from your chainring?

4 extra teeth means 2 chain links (as the chain only goes round half the chainring)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Most bikes are fitted with a slightly longer chain than required anyway so even if its now half a link too short the chances of actually bottoming out your rear suspension (reaching max chain growth) while in the lowest cassette sprocket will be miniscule .

Changing chainring size doesn't affect indexing at all. But yeah. As said the added extension of your rear mechs cage from running a larger chainring means your top jockey wheel is no longer in the same position as previously. So your B-tension can be fine tuned again.

TBH it sounds like you should just take it to a mechanic/LBS. There's a good chance you've created more problems by fiddling with adjustments without actually understanding what you're doing.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Check the chain line .
The 32 tooth that comes on a Levo is flat . A SRAM 12 speed 36 may be off set .

Found that out after I fitted one to my bike . Chain ring needs to be flat . Works but will bite my ass later I am pretty certain . Not happy I wasted my money .

Short chain should only be a problem in low gears where the derailleur is stretched out and the suspension is activated .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
chainline doesn't affect rear indexing.
poor chainline just means your chainring will not be aligned with the centreline of your cassette.
which if it is off by a few mm (offset rings are generally either 3mm or 6mm) will only affect the furthest offset cassette sprocket. and TBH the main issues you notice is dropped chains when backpedalled .Which Eebs don't even do.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
It can make the alignment so out of whack that on the smallest sprocket of the cassette the chain will jump under very heavy load .

@Gary
I am living it ATM . Not a happy chappy . Bought the chain ring from an online MTB shop . Didn`t know any better .

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Agreed. Still doesn't affect indexing though. and the OP stated the issue is his lowest gear. not his highest.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Agreed. Still doesn't affect indexing though. and the OPs issue is his lowest gear. not his highest.

Hmmm a lot of people say lowest when they should say highest .
His troubles do sound a lot like what I have going on . Chain didn`t want to stay on the smallest sprocket of the cassette .Was changing 1 gear back up the cassette by itself.

Indexing is fine now . Just doesn`t like extreme loads . I don`t drop down to the highest gear when accelerating if avoidable . PIA .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Apparently there are different chain rings for different width hub spacings ...
As I found out when I showed it to a MTB mechanic . I bought my chain ring from an online MTB store thinking it would be what I needed .
Live and learn .

To check if chain length is going to be a problem . Put the bike in the easiest / lowest gear . Deflate the shock [after taking note of the current pressure ] . Cycle the suspension and see if there is any slack / room to move at the derailleur . That`s where it gets critical . No slack and the derailleur will be under a lot of stress and might get damaged .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
yeah. boost and non boost
non boost rear ends are 142mm boost is 148mm so the chainring needs to be offset by 3mm as the BB is the same width

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
yeah. boost and non boost
non boost rear ends are 142mm boost is 148mm so the chainring needs to be offset by 3mm as the BB is the same width

Where were you when I was shopping for my SRAM Eagle X-Sync 2 12s 104BCD Chainring Black . lol .

I got a set of ROVAL wheels off a Levo SL a bloke was upgrading . Slapped the 12 speed on the back . Found the ratios a bit low . Read the forum re bigger chain rings . Went online bought one . And ,,, wasn`t until I tried it I found it wasn`t quite right . Had my bike at the shop and asked the man about the chain line . Got the news re boost non boost alignment etc . I would have thought buying a 12 speed chain ring from an online MTB shop it would be fcking boost ? Or at least have an option so the customer might consider what model they need .

SRAM Eagle X-Sync 2 12s 104BCD Chainring Black

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Yes ,,, the pit falls of buying online .
I sent an email to their customer support this morning explaining the boost - non boost fck up . Fingers crossed they want to make me happy with a replacement / refund .

Super boost hubs , oversized axle caps for some forks , non boost chain rings ,thicker brake rotors. I`m learning fast . Its costing money for the lessons but . :rolleyes:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Small sprockets wear out fast and 12 speed really is a pointless number of gears on an Ebike.
do yourself and your bank balance a favour and switch to an 11 or 10 speed drivetrain next time your cassette is worn out.
a full 10 speed drivetrain (Cassette, chain and chainring) costs me £38 for mine. it's also more durable and weighs less than 12 speed SRAM costing 10x. leaving a good £100 free even after the price of the 10 speed mech and shifter even if you had gone for the cheapest, lightest Eagle XD cassette. Shifting is better too.

maynard

Small sprockets wear out fast and 12 speed really is a pointless number of gears on an Ebike.
do yourself and your bank balance a favour and switch to an 11 or 10 speed drivetrain next time your cassette is worn out.
a full 10 speed drivetrain (Cassette, chain and chainring) costs me £38 for mine. it's also more durable and weighs less than 12 speed SRAM costing 10x. leaving a good £100 free even after the price of the 10 speed mech and shifter even if you had gone for the cheapest, lightest Eagle XD cassette. Shifting is better too.
I already got an 11spd MR Gaz . I just wanted to get my bike working so was happy to pay the price and coz the boss was the one who suggested to change the cassette I decidedto buy more stuff coz he gave me good advice . But last time I replaced the cassette I spent ages trying to find a cheaper cassette and gave up and purchased a sram . What do I search for for these 100 $ cassettes. Thanks Luke .

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I don't know which brand Gary uses but I've used Sunrace in the past and they're OE on some Specialize bikes.
They've got a good range of cassettes;

maynard

Found this on ebay

Screenshot_20201025-222636_eBay.jpg

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I agree a 10 S is ideal on an Ebike. I like the 11-42 cassette but you also can get a 11-46.
Let us know what solves your situation.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I already got an 11spd MR Gaz . I just wanted to get my bike working so was happy to pay the price and coz the boss was the one who suggested to change the cassette I decidedto buy more stuff coz he gave me good advice . But last time I replaced the cassette I spent ages trying to find a cheaper cassette and gave up and purchased a sram . What do I search for for these 100 $ cassettes. Thanks Luke .
Sorry. From what you're describing I reckon you must have an XD freehub and if so you are limited to SRAM XD cassettes.
I run an HG freehub sohave the choice running of anything from 7-11 speed HG cassettes.
I run shimano Deore 10 speed cassettes on my Eeb. (11-36 with a 36t chainring)
For 11 speed shimano's Deore/SLX offer the best VFM/durability but are not as light as 10 speed.

Even figuring in a newHG freehub body for your hub you'd save money and reduce your drivetrain running costs to a fraction of what you are spending now.

I'd avoid Sunrace cassettes. They are shit.

and IMO 9 and 10t sprockets have no place on an Ebike due to increased wear rate and reduced chain wrap

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles