Chainreactions sale

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
But CRC are using EVRI as the courier, who are totally crap. If I could give EVRI negative stars I would do so. Read the EVRI reviews and the press (truck loads dumped by the road side, parcels still addressed on sale at car boots etc). They lost two separate orders of mine; one large one small. After three investigations by CRC, they were eventually declared lost and I was refunded by CRC. The small order was replaced and it arrived in time for Xmas. The items in the large order had collectively a £138 discount and I lost all of that because the items were then out of stock. I appealed to CRC and they gave me £15 in CRC vouchers (gosh!) The main item in there was a full-face helmet for my grandson and I had to find something else pretty damn quick. But definitely NOT FROM CRC UNTIL THEY GET RID OF EVRI. The item I bought came all the way from Germany and arrived exactly as promised.

The large order, was ordered mid Nov'21 and despite being declared lost eventually turned up on 30th Dec'22. The contents were OK, but the shipping box was badly damaged and held together with parcel tape. I still have that to repair and return to CRC. I had to contact CRC to get a special return process that will avoid the EVRI delivery triggering a card payment and to get a free return postage label. What a hassle!

CRC used to be excellent at on-time delivery and I have bought a lot from them over the years. I do realise Xmas is a busy time, but the EVRI management seem to be unable to deal with higher volumes than usual, even when expected. In addition, EVRI 's systems appear to be unable to cope. Delivery drivers can only get away with dumping and/or stealing parcels when their basic systems are flawed. The CRC reputation and sales must be being damaged by the poor performance of their chosen courier and its time they took some action.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Ahhhh.. nerve struck

So long story short, I work in tech and for 8 years worked at a courier integration partner. There IT systems are absolutely horrendous (other than DPD) but... that aside, I've seen every type of shit show from a courier, we had tens of millions of parcels tracked in our system and our own customer service team.

Evri (yeah re-branding will make everyone forget how shit hermes are) are absolute grade A garbage, with Yodel being a very close second :ROFLMAO:

Our customer service team had a giant TV on the wall showing quantity of calls per courier, Yodel and Hermes were so high you couldn't even see the rest...!

The problem is, e-commerce (which I've also worked in for about 10 years now) always has to offer free shipping. The masses demand free shipping. Which in my experience has led to underpaid, overworked, underqualified... basically shit staff. Evri is the classic example of this - they were always the courier to go to if you wanted cheap and didn't give a shit if it arrived or not. Left in wheelie bin, thrown over fence, thrown onto your roof - I kid you not we once had a complaint that someone's house had been broken into whilst they were out and the courier had put their parcel through the smashed window! Still laugh about that one.

There are truly fantastic courier networks out there like UPS and DPD but not many people like to swallow the fact that to get a parcel from A to B including last mile delivery to your house costs money.
A few years back they all started trying to push "collect from local shop" because delivering 50 parcels to one place is massively cheaper than delivering 50 to individual addresses and then having repeat delivery attempts when people are out - but alas the Great British population was too lazy to collect it from the local shop on their way home so that fell flat on it's face.

It's annoyed me for a decade now, it annoys me that RM are on strike all the time. But frankly unless people start accepting that paying for delivery is acceptable it won't change. One of the e-commerce companies I worked at sold computer hardware sometimes with less than a 3% markup and people wanted free delivery. By the time the company had paid for delivery, free returns, and failed delivery attempts... it would have gone under in a year.

Luckily my local Evri driver is actually an ok guy, and when I'm not home (which is rare as I work from home) he neatly tucks things behind my wheelie bin.. so I'm not too bothered by them currently. But yeah... they have been known to leave £300's worth of IT equipment on my doorstep in plain view of the street while I was in Newcastle for the day so I had 10 hours wondering if it would still be there when I got back :D

*sorry for epic post - triggered ptsd from a near decade of working closely with couriers lol*

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
^^ that being said, I don't think a lot of e-commerce companies help themselves by only offering free delivery, at least CRC offer a priority next day service which is £5 but comes with DPD and I've had next day deliveries for urgent parts from them even ordering pretty late in the day :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
But CRC are using EVRI as the courier, who are totally crap. If I could give EVRI negative stars I would do so. Read the EVRI reviews and the press (truck loads dumped by the road side, parcels still addressed on sale at car boots etc). They lost two separate orders of mine; one large one small. After three investigations by CRC, they were eventually declared lost and I was refunded by CRC. The small order was replaced and it arrived in time for Xmas. The items in the large order had collectively a £138 discount and I lost all of that because the items were then out of stock. I appealed to CRC and they gave me £15 in CRC vouchers (gosh!) The main item in there was a full-face helmet for my grandson and I had to find something else pretty damn quick. But definitely NOT FROM CRC UNTIL THEY GET RID OF EVRI. The item I bought came all the way from Germany and arrived exactly as promised.

The large order, was ordered mid Nov'21 and despite being declared lost eventually turned up on 30th Dec'22. The contents were OK, but the shipping box was badly damaged and held together with parcel tape. I still have that to repair and return to CRC. I had to contact CRC to get a special return process that will avoid the EVRI delivery triggering a card payment and to get a free return postage label. What a hassle!

CRC used to be excellent at on-time delivery and I have bought a lot from them over the years. I do realise Xmas is a busy time, but the EVRI management seem to be unable to deal with higher volumes than usual, even when expected. In addition, EVRI 's systems appear to be unable to cope. Delivery drivers can only get away with dumping and/or stealing parcels when their basic systems are flawed. The CRC reputation and sales must be being damaged by the poor performance of their chosen courier and its time they took some action.
For the avoidance of doubt, I do not blame the EVRI couriers (apart from the thieving and lazy ones that take advantage of the poor systems). The ones I have seen over the top of the hedge climbing into their vehicles, all appear to be at least human, even if deaf.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Of all the delivery services that I have experienced, the top value for money and performance appears to be Amazon. :)

If only they didn't keep trying to ambush me into signing up to Prime on every purchase I make! I spend more time scrutinising their webpage to avoid the traps than I do actually buying their stuff. :(

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Amazon are ok. At least their tracking works and they always seem to hit the delivery estimate. Again though at peak times at least where I am they use temporary staff.

Once had my Amazon delivery come with a random lady and her 3 kids in a Ford focus 😂 and I do pay for prime!!

Amazon also seem to use Evri for returns. They’ve lost two items I’ve returned so I got charged for them and had to appeal it 🙄

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Same horrible experience with Evri.
I order from CRC for years now.
Last order in November, first package lost by Evri, CRC sent a second one, also lost ! They offered me to send it a third time but I took the money back and I will now avoid CRC as long as they keep using Evri. I have asked them if it’s possible to use another company and they said no (for France)…

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Hah - as it's relevant

My order was placed on a bank holiday at lunch time - I chose 5 day free shipping as I was out today with work.
It turned up at lunch - left on the doorstep by Evri in the rain, just got home to a very VERY soggy box which luckily hadn't been stolen :rolleyes:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
CRC asked me yesterday for customer service feedback. After years of giving 10/10 I gave them a six. They asked me why and I gave them both barrels. Nothing wrong with CRC, but my experience at the hands of EVRI ........ I told them that I would no longer have CRC as my first choice for bike stuff as long as they use EVR. I asked them to pass on my feedback to general management, not the courier purchasing team.

Gkf9

Dec 28, 2022
Chorley
I sold some bike parts on ebay just before Xmas to get some income, used Evri....never ever again! Took them 4 weeks to deliver them, I had to join a FB group to find out how to actually get through to a human to speak too.
After week 2 of non delivery, I had to refund the buyer, then 1 was almost £100 out of pocket, rang Evri about 4 times after waiting in a queue for a total of about 2 hours to chase it up.
They told me they would put a note on the delivery that if it was found they would return to sender.
And yes after another 2 weeks...4 in total they delivered it to the ebay buyer, chucked behind his bin. Luckily the buyer posted it back to me ( I had to reimburse him p&p ).
He could of kept it, and ebay wouldn't have been interested.
Was very stressful to say the least
I've still got the parts, and will try sell again this week, I won't be using that shower Evri tho!

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Yeah I did actually sell a pc on eBay. Posted at one of those locker drops for evri.

It never arrived.
The buyer then got a Facebook message from a woman two villages away from me saying she went to drop something off and 2 lockers opened up and the pc was just sat there. She took it home and phoned evri who said there was nothing they could do because the label had been “used”

I had to put a claim in and took 6 weeks to get a refund. I then had to drive to this nice woman’s house to pick it up and re post it.

I only used evri because it was 5cm too tall for any other courier 🤦‍♂️

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
It depends who your local Evri delivery driver is. Ours is a hot chick that as far as I know, doesn't throw the parcels around, steal them and other dumb chit. They also arrive.

There is no way I'd send something using Evri for anything worth more than £20, which is the amount of cover they offer for free. You have no idea what the delivery driver is going to be like for the person on the receiving end.

Selling anything expensive or bulky, I've always used Parcel Force. Just pay more and use them! Let's face it, it's not like it's double the cost or whatever, although it is quite a lot more. Still, I'll pay more for the item if I know it's being sent with Parcel Force as opposed to Evri or Yodel.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Whoever i purchase from I phone or email them to ask which post company they use for delivering
Normally given a choice and take either DPD or UPS pay abit more least i can track with these and have a bit more confidence of it arriving on a give date
As for Amazon i can order bits and bobs tonight and i'll get it tomorrow again tracked,

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
And must admit if you keep an eye on certain things your after with CR you can get a good deal with these guys
With clothing snd shoes, thats if they have them in your size

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Six of us ride together, we all order through one lads Wiggle account & settle up between us, which is handy for the platinum discount.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hold ups we get is it reaches hub then stays there for days and with Parcel force it reaches Aberdeen then grinds to a halt . Everyone in every walk of life nowadays is overworked and underpaid and sadly underskilled. Rant over .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Never had any problems with Hermes I wonder if it depends on where you live .
Hermes went broke because of abysmal reviews, among other things. Then a "company" bought them from the receiver and relaunched it as "EVRI". UK law prohibits the staff off Hermes being replaced by others just because they have been taken over so most, if not all, remain. In my opinion, all the systems would remain because they are much too difficult to replace quickly and cheaply. Most if not all the facilities would remain also. It is difficult to see how EVRI can possibly be any different to Hermes except that they are free of Hermes' debt. The magic of motivational management is a wild card of course, but we are not seeing it yet!

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Hermes went broke because of abysmal reviews, among other things. Then a "company" bought them from the receiver and relaunched it as "EVRI".

I ordered from CRC on Sunday. Monday was a holiday. CRC handed over my packaged my order and gave it to Evri on Tuesday. Sometime during the week the package made it to SoCal, and by Friday it had cleared customs. The next step is to hand it off to the US Postal Service. I'll have it in a couple days, and am satisfied thus far.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Hermes went broke because of abysmal reviews, among other things. Then a "company" bought them from the receiver and relaunched it as "EVRI". UK law prohibits the staff off Hermes being replaced by others just because they have been taken over so most, if not all, remain. In my opinion, all the systems would remain because they are much too difficult to replace quickly and cheaply. Most if not all the facilities would remain also. It is difficult to see how EVRI can possibly be any different to Hermes except that they are free of Hermes' debt. The magic of motivational management is a wild card of course, but we are not seeing it yet!
Every word of this is made up nonsense. Get a grip Steve.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
With 'Evri' its only good if you are actually in to receive it and happen to be sitting behind the door to hear the bump of your parcel landing and the footsteps of the driver legging it.
Their system appears to not announce their visit, but drop the parcel on your doorstep, take a picture of the door then scarper.
With many delivery companies they take a picture of the door open, as prof you have received it, but not with evri, where just a pic of the door is proof of delivery. They have yet to ring the bell or chap the letterbox, and seem content just to place it there then leave.

It is annoying to get an email from them saying my new lyrik fork had been delivered and a pic of the door but when i went to the door and opened it, there was nothing there. I was actually in at the time and heard nothing, no knock or ring, andit was just refreshing the email inbox alerted me to the fact it had been delivered.
Thankfully the opposite neighbour had spotted it sitting there and taken it in for safekeeping..

Had some crook seen it and taken it i would have a job claiming that i hadn't actually received it.

At least with others they have the open door policy, or if its royal mail, they have a depot to return it to and send out a note via the postman the very next day alerting you to the missed delivery, and enabling you to go to the local depot to pick it up.

Evri, like the company that preceded them, are an utter failure, and should in no circuimstanses be your courier of choice, not unless you want a nightmare to follow.

Gkf9

Dec 28, 2022
Chorley
Evri still charge you for a signature in the app, but don't get signatures.

They need shuting down imo.
It's a toss of coin if you're parcel will show up or get delivered.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Among problems with Evri such as late delivery had an instance where a delivery was confirmed as having been made when in fact I had been in all day and nothing had arrived. So I called and said that my house front camera showed no activity that day. But I lied, I did not have a camera! But guess what, the parcel magically appeared the next day. So I then installed a motion detector camera in a clearly visible position and unsurprisingly get no more problems.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Yeah, if you know for a fact they never knocked on, just saying you have a camera (whether you do or don't) is a good one to use. I think that's happened with Royal Mail more than it has with Evri/Hermes to be fair, they automatically post a card saying you're not in, without knocking on. It's lucky we have an Evri courier that's not one of the bad ones, that has never done that.

I concur with post #26 above - if you pay for a signature, it's often the case with Hermes that there won't be anyone signing anything at the receiving end.

Let's look at the prices:
Evri "signed for" economy with signature: £3.59
Royal Mail signed for: £3.95 (online pricing)

So you're paying another 36p to use Royal Mail. Just use Royal Mail! It gets there 1 day sooner on Royal Mail anyway, in fact I have waited 2 weeks for stuff from Hermes, that was supposed to be here in 3 days. I have no idea what happens to the package in that time. Also, I have certainly had more packages never turn up at all on Hermes (sending and receiving) than with Royal Mail, where I can't even remember that happening.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles