Chainguide upgrade, whats good?

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Hello, I have had two chainguides break, has anyone fitted a better guide or is there a good quality alternative to the e13 that comes stock? It's the trek rail 9.8xt
Thanks

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Hello, I have had two chainguides break, has anyone fitted a better guide or is there a good quality alternative to the e13 that comes stock? It's the trek rail 9.8xt
Thanks
I've found one, it's by Reverse, steel not plastic, needs the original spacers as it comes with none. Easy enough to fit and set up.

20210610_145155.jpg

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
Yup, any little twig that gets pulled into the chain will crack that cheap plastic plate. Thanks for the info on the Reverse Geedog!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
My chain guide broke off very easily when chain got thrown But im still replacing with ethirteen unit for simplicity
I wouldn't waste your money, the Reverse is much better quality, and in stock. Tho to fit it to a trek you need the original spacers and screws. I'm keeping my 3rd e13 as a spare, just in case.

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Agreed, I had to wait 3 months from trek, luckily I have a mate who had taken his off, so i had his, that one broke the day the trek one arrived, which was good timing. I can't see the Reverse breaking its arm.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Agreed, I had to wait 3 months from trek, luckily I have a mate who had taken his off, so i had his, that one broke the day the trek one arrived, which was good timing. I can't see the Reverse breaking its arm.
it wasnt organic, I gave it a slight tug trying to get chain back on causing the snap

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
So... just to be clear, the Trek Rail takes an ISCG 05 mount chain guide riiiiight? There is a different one for a Bosch Gen 4 motor and I'm not sure which is which for a 2021 Trek Rail 5.

Thanks,

G

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Reverse Components B-4G is good replacement.

Pros:
- metallic
- adjustable in horizontal from the black allenbolt (you get enough clearance for the chain on left and right
- adjustable in vertical (allenbolt behind)
- cheaper than e*thirteen

Trekrailchainguide.jpg

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Yeah its ISCG5. I broke two ethirteen guides. Crap plastic. The one I settled on is the OneUp V2. The mount is also metal and it has lots of adjustment (up to 38T). Very happy with it.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Did you need to remove the chainring to fit?
No.

You can see the access to the fixing bolts. Also fitted one to my wife's alloy Rail.

Edit: but you need to use the original bolts and spacers.

Last edited:

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Did you need to remove the chainring to fit?
I did, but you can access the holes through the chainring if you want, I take my chainring off, clean up around the bb/axle area, then there is a clean area where the chainguide goes and easier job, I dab a bit of grease on the washers, which helps keep them in place on the arm when lining it all up. Then loctite the threads on the chainring lockring and tighten up as much as needed.

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Suppose I were to buy a Reverse Components chain guide - then which mount should I pick? From this thread I gathered that actually both ISCG 05 and Bosch Gen4 work fine (using stock bolts and spacers)? I have a 2022 9.7 model

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I've been running my Bosch bike without a guard fitted for the last 2 years or so without any issues at all!
If the derailleur is working correctly and keeping tension on the chain with the clutch then you don't need to have a chainguard fitted.
Be brave and try it without.
What could possibly go wrong 🤣

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles