Chain ring size?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Just asking for any experience from Levo owners.
I'm finding the standard 32 tooth front chainring does tend to spin out quite quickly. Especially if the bike in question has, (cough, cough) been deresticted.
Anyone gone up to a 34 or even a 36 tooth , and if so how does it translate on the trail, especially climbing.
Also what effect does it have in battery usage? ?‍♂️?

Smiffy277

Oct 16, 2018
Blackwater, Surrey
I'm finding the standard 32 tooth front chainring does tend to spin out quite quickly. Especially if the bike in question has, (cough, cough) been deresticted.
Anyone gone up to a 34 or even a 36 tooth , and if so how does it translate on the trail, especially climbing.
I've got a 38 on mine and it's fine. Gives a bit more top end speed as well.

Reactions: d4n

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Fitting a 34t on Monday. Hopefully manflu would've gone by then and I can give it a test. I decided against 36t for now because I don't want to give up on those impossible climbs.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
You could do it another way but it would cost you a lot more to do.
It didn't cost me anything as I already had 'in stock' items that I stole off my acoustic bikes.
I changed the wheeleset to a wheelset with an XD driver and a 10-42 cassette. Having the 10 on the cassette gives an equivalent to roughly a 35 tooth up front but you still retain the 32 front 42 rear to get you up the steep hills.

For me, it's the best of both worlds but expensive if you don't have 'in stock' items (y)

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
I’m running a 30T front and a 46T rear. Climbing in ECO is spot on.
A 30 tooth...? AND a 46tooth Rear...Wow, are you climbing Everest ?

I changed my Kenevo to a 36t as I wanted the better gearing for the road bits between trails...I used it yesterday in Dunkeld.

Some of the climbs were totally brutal ? all of the guys on normal bikes were pushing but I managed them all on the Kenevo! I didn’t notice any disadvantage in the climbing gears at all I was able to spin up most things in Eco (20%/20%) then trail for the gnarly climbs (50%/50%) I didn’t use turbo at all as I was wanting to make sure I had enough battery for the day! I returned to the car with 38% after about 5 hours riding.

So, for me, the 36t chainring has been a perfect change! However, it depends on what you want from the bike and what terrain/effort/cadence you like to ride ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles