Carbon fiber wheels: Waste of money or totally worth it?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I would not trust CF wheel rims on an mtb. Road bikes yes, no problem.

The weight difference of a CF rim vs a good quality alloy rim cannot be that great. I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing that choice of tyre will swamp that difference.
A friend has been using carbon rims for years on other MTBs. Not sure if he has run them on his Levo but he has never had a problem with them and he is largish and rides reasonably aggressive.

As an aside, I had an amazing opportunity to test a prototype 250 MX bike in the early 2000's. Was a carbon frame with a cast alloy section molded in around the suspension mounting tower and the rear engine mount, Ti half tube molded in along the bottom frame rails and another alloy insert for the steering tube and the front engine mounts. Had full carbon sub-frame and carbon rims with stainless spokes laced to magnesium alloy hubs with Ti strengthening inserts. Being a lot older and slower I was just playing and trying to get a feel for the very special 250 2-stroke direct injected power-plant but the official test riders were hammering it pretty hard through the rough and launching it pretty big. Even with a few crashes there were no issues with any of the carbon bits as far as I was told - and I was told about many various issues that occurred. The production bike it was based on was 96kg dry weight - this protorype was 84kg semi wet (oil in motor but no fuel).

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I run carbon rims on my bikes. I must say that I'm now fully converted. On top of a 'tighter' feel on the track I love that I no longer need to re-true my wheels every couple of rides. The fact that my wheels have over 3000km of hard riding on them from me at 120kg, says they're up to the challenge!

The cost is a bit of a killer so if your looking to get max performance for your dollar, I would say your money is better spent elsewhere on the bike. Luckily there are companies like Light Bicycle offering high-quality rims/wheels for a sharp price.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Just read this on the Merida thread and he talks about the carbon wheels COMPLETELY changing the bike, not sure if this is of any help but thought you might be interested

Hello from Germany,

riding my eONE-SIXTY for a year now I made some improvements:
-FSA cockpit with carbon bar
-sintered metal brake pads
-Ergon saddle with carbon rails

-Giant TRX 0 carbon wheelset (tubeless)

-Vittoria Morsa 2,35 and Martello 2,6
-Garbaruk lightweight cassette
-Renthal 34T chainring
-Miranda carbon cranks 160mm

Changing the complete setup of the wheels was a metamorphosis! No more feeling of riding a school bus!
Increased agility and speed enormously and reduced rolling resistance. A complete different bike!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Carbon wheels are plenty tough enough, and their are some amazing carbon wheels out there. For me, on a full fat EMTB, there just isn't a tangible benefit over a high quality alloy wheel given the price difference.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Mother Fudger

I haven’t ridden the Merida as i was 5kg over and just realised that i was looking at the not hybrid wheels weight limit.

Guess the Merida gets a run this week.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
Actually this came from a review

Our test bike, the size L MERIDA eONE-SIXTY 10K, weighs 22.3 kg. The gross weight limit (i.e. bike + rider) is only 120 kg due to the carbon rims on the flagship model. The more affordable models are cleared for 140 kg.

But it has the hybrid wheels so should be ok for 150kg?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Actually this came from a review

Our test bike, the size L MERIDA eONE-SIXTY 10K, weighs 22.3 kg. The gross weight limit (i.e. bike + rider) is only 120 kg due to the carbon rims on the flagship model. The more affordable models are cleared for 140 kg.

But it has the hybrid wheels so should be ok for 150kg?
This is in the package for the wheels and clearly states 150KG for the HX series of wheels BUT 120 for carbon!

So I’d say it’s a definite 120KG for HXC and 150KG for HX. Sorry for confusion!

7D72603A-78B1-47DA-B26F-7FDA020E526E.jpeg

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Would the HXC be suitable for the full fat levo too?
I need a new rear wheel for my 2020 expert and was thinking about purchasing:
(If it's the correct one?)

But then I spotted the HXC wheelset for £949

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Would the HXC be suitable for the full fat levo too?
I need a new rear wheel for my 2020 expert and was thinking about purchasing:
(If it's the correct one?)

But then I spotted the HXC wheelset for £949
Yes, they would fit.

I used the HX1501's on the Levo. But it seems the HXC carbon wheel set is on a crazy half price deal from JE James. I wonder if its a mistake?!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Thanks @Rob Hancill :)
It says they're not a retail package, just OEM. *Shrugs*
I just figured if I'm thinking about spending that much on the aluminium one, the carbon set is almost a bargain at a similar sort of price.
I'm just not sure I want to lay out that much cash all at once right now.
I'm such a tight arse at times lol
Decisions decisions....

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
It says they're not a retail package, just OEM. *Shrugs*
I just figured if I'm thinking about spending that much on the aluminium one, the carbon set is almost a bargain at a similar sort of price.
Ahh OK, doesn't really matter, you'll miss out on a couple of wheel bags and not a lot else. You might not get the XD Freehub body that you'll need if you run currently run SRAM freehub (although IIRC Levo is Shimano) or the tubeless valves. But they might supply it all, just not in the DT Swiss box.

Either way, its a new 1750g Carbon wheel from one of the worlds best for £949.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I have SRAM XG-1175 according to the specs, it's a 2020 expert.
I've never swapped wheels before :)
I'll need to buy a new lockring remover and chainwhip too

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Confusingly, the SRAM 1175 could be mounted to a Shimano style freehub body on the Levo. Which Levo? The DT wheels come with this already mounted.

Lock ring remover and chain whip are good toolbox tools that no doubt at some point you'll need again (if you're into tinkering!).

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Confusingly, the SRAM 1175 could be mounted to a Shimano style freehub body on the Levo. Which Levo? The DT wheels come with this already mounted.

Lock ring remover and chain whip are good toolbox tools that no doubt at some point you'll need again (if you're into tinkering!).
I do like to try to do things myself and I've been buying some tools along the way, but truing the wheel has me scratching my head, so until I can get it to a shop (they're closed or too busy right now) I need to get a new rear wheel.
This is my levo:
I'm a bit of a noob with bikes, but eager to learn lol

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I do like to try to do things myself and I've been buying some tools along the way, but truing the wheel has me scratching my head, so until I can get it to a shop (they're closed or too busy right now) I need to get a new rear wheel.
This is my levo:
I'm a bit of a noob with bikes, but eager to learn lol
I'm 95% sure it has a Shimano type freehub. Removing a cassette is very easy :)

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL

And a torque wrench to properly tighten the lock ring. :)

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
That's a good point. How much torque does a lock ring require?

I've emailed the shops to see if I can find out what comes with the wheels.
Fingers crossed they still have stock by the time I order.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am always bemused by manufacturers that use "Carbon" as a description. It tells you very little. Is it 100% carbon or is it carbon/glass/kevlar etc? What quality of carbon is it? What type of carbon mat...UD/ matrix etc....what epoxy? What layup..pre preg/ wet? For windsurfing we use carbon masts. It can cost £150 or £800 ....The cheaper versions ae heavier, use mixed fibres, cheaper epoxy. Can you tell the difference? Yes if you are a competent windsurfer and use performance sails. No if your are using recreational sails and are less than expert.
So what is the benefit of carbon (assuming high quality 100% pre preg) over high quality ally. Well it can be made lighter whilst having greater torsion resistance and faster reflex than ally. I say CAN because that totally depends on the layup. The type of carbon used and differences in layup can result in 2 sets of carbon wheels from different brands having completely different characteristics. So just comparing carbon to ally tells you nothing really. On the downside carbon is brittle and damage is difficult to detect. I personally would not opt for carbon on any component liable to impact.

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
I just bought a set of Enve 730 with i9 hydra today for my Levo SL. Will give some feedback after I have had a chance to ride on them over the next few weeks.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Mostly worth it. I built my wheelset on my Pivot Shuttle from Whisky carbon rims and I9 Hydra hubs, and I find them much better than the DT Wheels that came stock. Specifically, I dented/flat spotted many an aluminum rim, and have had zero issues with high quality carbon rims. I also have a Whisky/I9 wheelset on my fatbike and an Enve M40 plus wheelset for my Santa Cruz. I've had no issues whatsoever with the rims on any of them, and they all take a LOT of abuse.

The only minor issue (besides price) is that some carbon rims require the use of washers (for the spoke nipples) when building, which can be a pain in the ass.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Well colour me disappointed :(
Managed to speak to J E James cycles regarding the wheels they have listed and I'm told they are Shimano 12 speed microspline only :(

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hmm not sure - maybe something else on the Merida is reducing it.

My understanding was that all DT Swiss Hybrid wheels were 150KG rated. It refers to 150KG a few times here:DT Swiss - Mission Hybrid

Hey dear leader, read on the emtb magazine those are fragile.

It’s a waste of money because they are too expensive, only make sense on XC bikes, on XC races where time count. Out there, on a ebike, for free enduro?

Stiffness? Men put a 35mm iw with 32 straight pull steel spokes

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I'm not sure, this motorcycle is 100% road driven, and I can tell you the difference is absolutely night and say. I mean out of this world just how much of a difference it makes. Of course these motorcycle wheels are much heavier by default, so maybe that has something to do with it.

From all the research I am doing, it seems that carbon rims may offer some small improvements, but I'm not sure that those "improvements" justify the high price, particularly on an EMTB.
Unsprung mass + a hell of a lot lighter than original wheels will make a massive difference in any circumstance.
I don't think there's enough difference in the e-mtb wheel sets to notice this tho.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Well colour me disappointed :(
Managed to speak to J E James cycles regarding the wheels they have listed and I'm told they are Shimano 12 speed microspline only :(

Given how rediculously easy it is to swap a DT freehub and how sought after Microspline would be on ebay, id still say they are a 'bargain' if you think thats a good price. Way out of my price bracket like.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey dear leader, read on the emtb magazine those are fragile.

It’s a waste of money because they are too expensive, only make sense on XC bikes, on XC races where time count. Out there, on a ebike, for free enduro?

Stiffness? Men put a 35mm iw with 32 straight pull steel spokes
Can you link me the article?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles