Carbon Bars, Worth it, and Which One?

TrailShack

Nov 25, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I know there might be plenty of threads on this but im specifically looking for some insight into what everyone is doing on their Levos.

I have a 2020 levo and looking to put a better handle bar and have been told that carbon will make a big different, esp with fatigue.

Struggling to find something with a 31.8 clamp and rise around the 27-30mm mark. Nukeproof has one but at 38mm rise, might be too much maybe?

Thoughts?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Short answer is it won’t make that much of a difference. A lot of carbon bars are actually stiffer.
I combated hand fatigue with RevGrips, changing glove brands and changing my riding position. I do run a carbon bar with 25mm rise and 820mm width.
A friend of mine uses the Spank Vibrocore bar with decent results.
I have another that uses the Fassbar Flexxbar but it makes everything feel too vague for my taste

The rise, upsweep and backsweep also contribute to overall comfort.
The most popular bar I sell is the Renthal Carbon Fatbar. It’s not the stiffest bar out there, but I just hate the shape of this bar and I broke two them.
As for the rise you’ll have to experiment.

Also ease up on how tight you grip the bar. Too many riders use a death grip and they wonder why their hands hurt. Stretching also helps.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I've had the opposite experience with carbon bars, old wrist injury that is for sure better treated by carbon bars...renthal carbon fatbar 30mm rise here, not riding a Levo but doesn't matter, rise is a personal preference, think about what you have now and what a different rise will do for you, put you more upright, maybe decrease reach a tad depending on how you angle the bar in the stem...sweep shape also a personal thing, for me have been riding renthal bars for a few years and really like them.

Renthal aluminum bars on the other hand are considerably more harsh on my hands than carbon ones.

Murch

Aug 9, 2019
United States
I have been running Renthal on all my bikes for about 6 years now. Started with the Aluminum fatbars then switched to carbon 35's. When I bought my levo I put on a set of the carbon 35's but within a week or so my forearm and wrist were really bothering me. I decided to give the OneUp carbon bar a shot and my wrist and forearm are much better now. It's a little more forgiving than the Renthal bars but still feels solid.

TrailShack

Nov 25, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do the changes in small increments, The grips on my Levo are terrible and so is the dropper remote for the TranzX Dropper. Might start with those two before i change over the bars.

Not sure if there is an adjustment for this, I've tried the cable tension but doesnt seem to help. Needs a lot force to raise the dropper.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I do like the Geometry of the renthal fatbars but unfortunately they play havoc on my wrists,I’ve found nukeproofs carbon horizon bars at 38mm rise spot on for me and reduce quite a lot of trail chatter,my biggest problem at the moment is I’m getting painful swollen finger joints,I’m sure it’s to do with me pulling up too much jumping etc..just got adapt too emtb weight!?

Last edited:

TrailShack

Nov 25, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I do like the Geometry of the renthal fatbars but unfortunately they play havoc on my wrists,I’ve found nukeproofs carbon horizon bars at 38mm rise spot on for me and reduce quite a lot of trail chatter,my biggest problem at the moment is I’m getting painful swollen finger joints,I’m sure it’s to do with me pulling up too much jumping etc..just got adapt too emtb weight!?

I think this is my issue too, with the pulling up, I've going done 1 ride on the new bike thus far, this weekend will head out multiple times weather permitting and see if I can get a better feel for the adjustments needed. I really like the Nukeproofs just wasnt sure of the 38mm rise, however can offset it with the stem stack height so shouldn't be an issue. Just have to keep an eye on sales. Missed out on buying it for $80 AUD few months back.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I have had Renthal carbon bar on many bikes, but it has always been 31,8.
However, my last purchase was 35mm and it was just too stiff. I sold it and bought a Spank Vibrocoren, which I am very happy.

Maybe Oneup carbon bar is worth to try

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Personally I have found carbon bars generally to be uncomfortable except for Enve, but better than that are the Spank Vibrocore bars.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
TrailShack, if you go higher rise you can drop spacers under stem and roll the bar forward to give yourself more reach.

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
I bought an S-works carbon bar from Specialized. 31.8mm, 3.8 rise, 6 upsweep, 8 backsweep. Feels much better than stock, stealthier looks and costs the same as Renthals or similar aftermarket carbon bars.

E05BC380-C5B0-4C88-B0DC-340911478F8E.jpeg

Last edited:

KGNZ

Oct 7, 2019
New Zealand
Changed to a SQlab carbon bar with 45mm rise with 12deg backsweep and SQlabs grips.
This helped a lot with hand fatigue and correct hand placement.

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
I bought the Nukeproof 25mm carbon when CRC had them for £50, swapped the stem too. Liking how it feels, plus looks better too. Just need to swap out the grips as the stock aren't great.

Cmr

Nov 17, 2019
Apriliayp68
I always use carbon bars mainly renthals and enve but on my 2020 expert i wanted less rise than the std 27mm so thought I’d try hope carbon bars 20mm rise very impressed

D1E14EF1-B126-49C2-9CD1-2B3A821B9E40.jpeg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO

Frankenbetty

Jun 6, 2020
Llandegla
I’ve just got some Brand X carbons bars from CRC and they seem good. I got the 25mm rise versions and they have a nice sweep and plenty wide enough and most importantly they dampen down the buzz nicely and didn’t cost a huge amount
After having my thumb reattached with wires and pins after a bad accident the buzz from alloy bars is almost unbearable after a few minutes of riding but these seem really nice

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
From MTBR: "Generally, carbon does a better job of damping or absorbing vibrations from trail irregularities, while aluminum transmits more of those vibrations into your hands." I went from stock alloy on my Comp Carbon to Enve M6 carbon bars and stem, and agree with this statement.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I’ve just got some Brand X carbons bars from CRC and they seem good. I got the 25mm rise versions and they have a nice sweep and plenty wide enough and most importantly they dampen down the buzz nicely and didn’t cost a huge amount
After having my thumb reattached with wires and pins after a bad accident the buzz from alloy bars is almost unbearable after a few minutes of riding but these seem really nice
Yep, I had my first ride today on my new CRC Brand X bar (25mm rise, 780mm wide), and it definitely made for a less painful ride than the standard alloy bars on my Levo SL.

I've been getting a lot of pain in my right wrist and thumb after longish rides (a residual problem stemming from otherwise healed tendon damage), but today - after 32 rough, joggly miles - my hand is much less sore and tired than usual.

I'm completely persuaded that carbon fibre does make a difference - £70 very well spent.

Last edited:

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I am running the renthal fatbar carbon with like 30mm rise, I tip them back a bit to cut back on the reach a bit and they have helped hand cramping

Falk930

Jul 9, 2020
europe
I bought an S-works carbon bar from Specialized. 31.8mm, 3.8 rise, 6 upsweep, 8 backsweep. Feels much better than stock, stealthier looks and costs the same as Renthals or similar aftermarket carbon bars.

View attachment 24062
Galion, is that really much different then stock?
Maybe I am wrong, but isnˋt the Levo stock handelbar only 10mm lower?
Really like the Sworks, but like to get a little more backsweep.

Falk

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles