Canyon K.I.S. (Keep It Stable) - In frame Steering Damper

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The next evolution ...... ?!?

Basically looks to be an adjustable in frame steering damper - though for a lot of newer EMTB's it may cause compatibility issues as the adjuster looks like it lives where the screen/display is on several bikes.

For poor people, you can use a bungie cord double wrapped around the top tube and either end connected to your brake mounting brackets.

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
And old technic

0131572-0_550x550.jpg

in a modern way.

Makes definitive sense. Hope more bike will come with the KIS.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Until a spring breaks and then it becomes very difficult. Can't you just tighten the steering bearing a little extra tight or pack very tough grease in the balls to get a tougher steering?

I don't think the springs can withstand that much stress when the crash comes and how much will break in the bike?

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I never realised how much a front wheel deflects before riding a heavy ebike. The weight really helps dampen the front and it's really noticeable going back to a normal bike.

Not sure if this will actually help solve the issue but if it does what it says it could be useful.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The loamwolf article which has a bit more information in text/picture format :

This paragraph also explains how you'd reset it/adjust it/release it to presumably remove your fork.

"Should you happen to crash hard, the system may need to be reset. Simply pop off the headtube cover to reach the cam ring clamp bolt. Loosen, re-align, re-tighten, and you are good to go. For maintenance or bike assembly this is also the access point to the cam / steerer connection for fitting or removing the fork."

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Pinkbike reviewer didn't rate it! Someone on here was recently complaining about wheel flop or oversteer riding at low speeds which is really a symptom of not having adjusted to how much more prevalent that is with a longer slacker geo. That said, the right geo design compromise in terms of head angle and trail minimises that effect.
The Pinkbike reviewer made a really good point about the subtle and subconscious steering movement required to turn a bike....ie a very slight right turn of the bars to induce bike lean for a left hand turn. He said the KIS made it more difficult and he constantly understeer as a result until he learned to further emphasise the slight right turn of the bars for left hand corners...and vice versa. In short he saw no benefits.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Alternatively, If you want slower steering dhr front and faster steering dhf. It’s actually quite noticeable. Climbing rocky rutted stuff in boost, I imagine is where some kind of damper could be a plus.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
The more stuff like this that comes out (also insert flight attendant and ABS) the more I feel like going back to basics and riding a hardtail mountain bike, sorry to sound like a miserable git. The bike industry always seems to be looking for the next bit of tech to sell at an inflated price. I'm not a motorbiker but they seem to have been pretty much the same tech for the last 15-20 years, they aren't looking to bring out a new piece of tech every 12 months like the bike/mountain bike industry.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
The more stuff like this that comes out (also insert flight attendant and ABS) the more I feel like going back to basics and riding a hardtail mountain bike, sorry to sound like a miserable git. The bike industry always seems to be looking for the next bit of tech to sell at an inflated price. I'm not a motorbiker but they seem to have been pretty much the same tech for the last 15-20 years, they aren't looking to bring out a new piece of tech every 12 months like the bike/mountain bike industry.
I’m into motorbikes and they do bring out new technology as often as they can. They’re definitely not what they were like 15-20 years ago.
They have ABS, traction control, cornering ABS, wheelie control, power modes, electric suspension etc etc, even launch control!
I’m all for the advances in the safety side of things, anything to make it a bit less dangerous is ok by me.
This KIS malarkey on a push bike looks like a waste of time tho!

Moshe

Feb 12, 2020
North Ridgeville, ohio,usa
I think YT has a great idea here. Yes, steering stabilizers have been around for a long time, but not a refined, inframe, from the factory unit like this.
I say yes to K.I.S. (Keep It Stable). I only wish someone would come up with a K.I.S. for my wife.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles