Canyon - Aftercare and aftersales

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I'm almost convinced a Canyon Strive:ON is going to be the next bike I add to my bike shed alongside my Orbea Rise M20. I've always bought my bikes (analogue and electric) from bricks and mortar bike shops. My question and concern is what has your experience of buying from a 'Direct to customer' brand?

The good, the bad and the ugly...

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I owned Canyon and YT non ebikes before both brands had UK hubs and the customer service was good but had to send the bike back to Germany which was a bit of a pain. Now both companies have a UK HQ and Canyon has authorised partners around the UK (and Europe) so it's likely as close as bricks and mortar shops now.

www.canyon.com/en-gb/customer-service/repair-spares-warranty/bike-service-finder.html
That’s very good to know. Apart from deciding between the Strive and the Orbea Wild it’s the one barrier that has stopped me from ordering

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
That’s very good to know. Apart from deciding between the Strive and the Orbea Wild it’s the one barrier that has stopped me from ordering
I too had this decision to make and originally ordered the Orbea Wild but had to cancel due to issues that you can see in this thread - Orbea Wild issues

I then ordered the Strive, much better experience and have absolutely no regrets!

CrispyDesigns

May 25, 2023
UK
I too had this decision to make and originally ordered the Orbea Wild but had to cancel due to issues that you can see in this thread - Orbea Wild issues

I then ordered the Strive, much better experience and have absolutely no regrets!
Wow! That thread certainly highlights some problems in production and QC at Orbea and LL. LL are my local bike shop (the Long Eaton store). I bought my Rise through them. To give credit where it’s due the quality of service and PDI of the bike was very good. I’ve since done all my own work and servicing myself.
Sounds like the Canyon Strive:ON is firmly in top spot for my next ride

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Canyon make some really nice looking bikes. There's been a few stories of them being poor with warranty and rejecting what looks like manufacturing issues, usually saying that the bikes have been ridden on bigger stuff than what they are designed for.

The Strive:ON mentions that it should only be used on moderate jumps and shouldn't be ridden in bike parks. I find this a bit strange when they say it's ready for E-Enduro racing.
You might want to look at the Torque:ON if you were planning on riding it hard or on DH tracks regularly.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Canyon make some really nice looking bikes. There's been a few stories of them being poor with warranty and rejecting what looks like manufacturing issues, usually saying that the bikes have been ridden on bigger stuff than what they are designed for.

The Strive:ON mentions that it should only be used on moderate jumps and shouldn't be ridden in bike parks. I find this a bit strange when they say it's ready for E-Enduro racing.
You might want to look at the Torque:ON if you were planning on riding it hard or on DH tracks regularly.
From Canyon:

WHAT DOES CATEGORY 4E APPROVED MEAN IN TERMS OF HOW THIS E-MTB CAN BE RIDDEN?

Anything short of downhill world cup courses, big bike park hits, and freeride cliffs are within Strive:ON’s capabilities. It’s dialed in for brutally tough enduro stages.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
From Canyon:

WHAT DOES CATEGORY 4E APPROVED MEAN IN TERMS OF HOW THIS E-MTB CAN BE RIDDEN?

Anything short of downhill world cup courses, big bike park hits, and freeride cliffs are within Strive:ON’s capabilities. It’s dialed in for brutally tough enduro stages.

Enduro races do often include DH/bike park tracks, so you would expect it should handle that.
The Spectral:ON is in the same 4E category

I've had friends break chainstays on the Strive normal bikes (Category 4). Canyon refused to warranty it and would only offer crash replacement despite failing. Hopefully their warranty process has improved since then but it's something I'd consider.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Enduro races do often include DH/bike park tracks, so you would expect it should handle that.
The Spectral:ON is in the same 4E category

I've had friends break chainstays on the Strive normal bikes (Category 4). Canyon refused to warranty it and would only offer crash replacement despite failing. Hopefully their warranty process has improved since then but it's something I'd consider.
I remember this coming up before on other bikes too. If I remember even the Specialized Kenevo isn’t rated for bike parks

And the Trek Rail is only rated Category 3

01A06D26-1C0C-443D-8F32-514DECCD9A05.png

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Are Canyon the only manufacturer to specify this? I don’t recall the Trek or Specialized bikes I’ve owned having category’s for riding.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the manufacturer dictating what I ride.

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I remember this coming up before on other bikes too. If I remember even the Specialized Kenevo isn’t rated for bike parks

And the Trek Rail is only rated Category 3
Well that answers that then 😂

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I think the main difference is you don't see many posts of Trek/Specialized bikes breaking and them saying it's been ridden beyond it's capabilities and it's not their problem

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
No problems with my Canyon Spectral ON and over 1500 miles. Had one small issue at the start with battery pack lock but that was my fault, Canyon didn’t really know what to do (thread on here regarding shimano battery lock breaking). Shimano however sent me free of charge a replacement lock and with above thread fixed it myself. Regarding service my local bike shop loves to see me, a bikes a bike to them and money is money.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
So is any bike with or without a motor actually warranted for use in a big big park with the kind of jumps I see videos of? There is even a big bike park build in conjunction with the city of Elk Grove , ca that I’ve been to with a friend who could ride it that seems to be pretty big. I’m too old to learn
New tricks because my body is already worn out. You guys still have years full of spills to reach my level of wear.

drocho

Nov 11, 2022
poland
From what I see on FB groups, how Canyon make decisions about warranty claims is not consistent.. And for sure the biggest disadvantage is that they do not offer frame rear/front triangle as a separate part to buy. So If you have a crash and crack your rear triangle the only way to fix it is to buy entire frame set.. which is veryyyy expensive..

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
I have an experience update.

My friend has a 2 month old Spectral On and today he's noticed the battery case crack that's been mentioned on the forum here. He contacted Canyon and sent pictures, they're sending out a new battery.

Personal experience, my Strive On Bosch charger didn't come with a UK plug adapter, I contacted Canyon they said order one online and they'll refund me.

2/2 (y) so far.

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
From what I see on FB groups, how Canyon make decisions about warranty claims is not consistent.. And for sure the biggest disadvantage is that they do not offer frame rear/front triangle as a separate part to buy. So If you have a crash and crack your rear triangle the only way to fix it is to buy entire frame set.. which is veryyyy expensive..
That's pretty weak of them then. You would expect at least the triangle to get sold / ordered for replacement cases. Even if they would ask the broken one back to control the use.
It's not like it would be logistically unmanageable. Build to order could work, even restricting to the current models.
Sad.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles