Can you replace the Bosch Purion display with a button only type controller

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
Morning, I'm wondering the above, is it possible to have a cleaner handlebar by removing the Purion display and having a simple rocker button type selector instead. If ao what are the options, thanks.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
  1. Get Kiox retrofit, put the screen on toptube or somewhere else and the button controller to place where you had Purion.
  2. Buy a Levo that has cleaner handlebar straight from factory.
  3. Ask if someone would like to reverse engineer the commands and use the kiox controller: sonstige(s) - Bosch Active CAN-Daten Sammlung

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

Good timing :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Purion does a little more than just enable mode switching. It display all the software versions in use on the bike and has the USB port access for software upgrades etc. So just replacing it with a Levo style simple mode selector is not enough.

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
I dissasembled a cheap used (around 50euro) purion,soldered wires directly to the switches on the pcb,and used a shimano E7000 switch for mode selecting,and installed a small switch under the toptube, to power the bike on. I placed the purion inside the frame.

I have a bluetooth capable "tuning" module installed so i can check the necessary data on my phone,like battery percentage,etc..

Its been several months i did that,never had any problem with it. Its not for everyone,but if you are capable,it can be done fairly easy. I kept my kiox also,so if i ever need to go to get diagnostic,i can use that.
20200523_110129.jpg

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I was thinking of doing exactly what aitrui has done.

What Bluetooth tuning box are you using to get the battery etc on your phone?

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
My bike has a gen2 engine, I'm using the old Redped module.

You also have to disassemble the E7000 switch, and solder wires directly to the switches, because it's using the 3 wire resistant switching method originally.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
My bike has a gen2 engine, I'm using the old Redped module.

You also have to disassemble the E7000 switch, and solder wires directly to the switches, because it's using the 3 wire resistant switching method originally.
Wow, just seen this. Looks perfect!

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest
Could you sell this in kit form pre soldered?

I don't think so i will. This solution gonna need some development to be able to sell to peoples. Like sourcing good guality cables (i used some i found in my shop), connectors. I butchered my purion, cut out half of the housing, drilled holes into it, so its slim, easy to fit, i wouldn't sell it like that to peoples. New e7000 switch cost more than the Purion itself. I'm not sure people will be interested to spend that amount of money for a solution like that. Also you will need some way to check battery percentage, etc., which also cost money.

If someone really interested, I think we can work out something. The specialized remote would be the best solution, because it has 4 buttons, so you can use walk mode, and power on/off the bike from the same switch. When i did mine, someone had an E7000 switch for sale for 30 euro, so I bought it. Used purions are still cheap 25-50euro in my local market.

specialized-levo-fsr-mk2-handlebar-remote-2019_220303.jpg

Last edited:

Samw_mtb

Jul 16, 2020
Horsham
I dissasembled a cheap used (around 50euro) purion,soldered wires directly to the switches on the pcb,and used a shimano E7000 switch for mode selecting,and installed a small switch under the toptube, to power the bike on. I placed the purion inside the frame.

I have a bluetooth capable "tuning" module installed so i can check the necessary data on my phone,like battery percentage,etc..

Its been several months i did that,never had any problem with it. Its not for everyone,but if you are capable,it can be done fairly easy. I kept my kiox also,so if i ever need to go to get diagnostic,i can use that. View attachment 49486
Hi,
I was thinking of doing the same thing but I'm useless with circuits. Do you have a picture of what you did wiring wise? Or a dummies explanation please?

Aug 17, 2020
scottish borders
Good Morning all from Bonnie Scotland 😁 just wanted to ask of anyone has successfully fitted the spesh controller switch to there Bosch equipped bike ?
Ideally a simple toggle switch through the modes with small screen frame mounted .would be better than purion ,kiox or the new gen 4 control which looks clunky to be polite !
IMHO a simple Toggle switch with audible bleeps ( 1 for eco ,2 for tour ,3 for emtb ,4 for turbo ) would be a polular upgrade .also if this could be used with display off or dimmed for night riding it would be a winner

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I ended up getting a top tube mount for the kiox, and getting the kiox controller with the longer cable - its a pretty effective solution.
IMG_20211209_100801.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There wa a commuter bike at Eurobike where they had built the Kiox display into the top tube, which looked super clean. Can’t seem to find a pic but made me think what more brands don’t do something similar

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Found it now - Evari 856

866DE162-FB7B-47A5-8BE6-693F952042FD.jpeg

Damirkos1

Nov 20, 2022
Slovenia
Hi there,

I am getting Orbea Wild in a few days and I’m busting my head over the purion display. It is the 2022 non smart Bosch CX motor.

So, I was wondering if the Brose remote would work as discribed above.

This is the remote:

In addition to on/off button it also has some LED for the battery status. I am willing to invest and post the process here,

Just need the confirmation that this would work.

Cheers.

Damir

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi there,

I am getting Orbea Wild in a few days and I’m busting my head over the purion display. It is the 2022 non smart Bosch CX motor.

So, I was wondering if the Brose remote would work as discribed above.

This is the remote:

In addition to on/off button it also has some LED for the battery status. I am willing to invest and post the process here,

Just need the confirmation that this would work.

Cheers.

Damir

No. Sadly it won't. The none smart system with a purion has zero wireless connectivity.

The Purion is horrible, eventually you don't really notice it, though the buttons are still unpleasant if you're used to anything else.

Damirkos1

Nov 20, 2022
Slovenia
No. Sadly it won't. The none smart system with a purion has zero wireless connectivity.

The Purion is horrible, eventually you don't really notice it, though the buttons are still unpleasant if you're used to anything else.
I meant to wire it to the Purion like described above.

Damirkos1

Nov 20, 2022
Slovenia
Ah, got ya.

I'd imagine it's a far more complicated switch than you need ? It's designed to work with the brose controller rather than the bosch. The e7000 switch, hard wired, as described above sounds far simpler ?
Thanks mate. I am trying to avoid another on/of button so maybe a standard spcialized turbo Levo button eould be the best option. I just need to have a “that would work with gen 4 Bosch” green light :)

Also not sure how to use purion and Kiox at the same time as above mentioned. Would try without it thought, with missing remaining battery info :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks mate. I am trying to avoid another on/of button so maybe a standard spcialized turbo Levo button eould be the best option. I just need to have a “that would work with gen 4 Bosch” green light :)

Also not sure how to use purion and Kiox at the same time as above mentioned. Would try without it thought, with missing remaining battery info :(
Yup, a standard Spesh one could work, depending on the wiring. Having zero battery info would be concerning, the option above with a speed dongle with bluetooth is an option.

Unless you just hide the purion somewhere else on the bike where you can still see the screen/access buttons if you need to ? Also depends how you ride, if you just leave it in EMTB most of the time then you don't need regular button access (walk mode maybe).

Damirkos1

Nov 20, 2022
Slovenia
Yeah this one will be a bit difficult. I was hoping the Brose controller would be able to show battery level on those LEDs, but I guess they are meant for riding mode.

I did change modes often as the steeper terrain was a ahead but I could solve this with eMTB mode.

Let’s wait for the bike to arrive and get some mileage on :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah this one will be a bit difficult. I was hoping the Brose controller would be able to show battery level on those LEDs, but I guess they are meant for riding mode.

I did change modes often as the steeper terrain was a ahead but I could solve this with eMTB mode.

Let’s wait for the bike to arrive and get some mileage on :)
You might just find you enjoy the bike so much, you don't notice the horrors of the Purion ! :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you position the purion nearly vertical on the bars it is far less noticeable and mode selection whilst riding is also much better. It may not be the prettiest display but it has at least proved itself a darned sight more reliable than many of the controllers mounted in the top tube. I dislike the top tube controllers simply because the inside of a hollow tube whether ally or carbon is a fairly hostile environment in terms of condensation etc.
In trying to replace the Purion you need to differentiate between mode switches and controllers. The Purion combines both functions. On the Specialized set up the controller is the TCU and the mode switch on the bars is merely a hard wired switch.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I gave up on the same idea. Instead upgraded from the Bosch Purion to Bosch Kiox Retrofit and also bought a Cube Acid Bosch Kiox Bracket to mount the Kiox display behind the bars and lower down. I also have a central phone mount (Amazon: Arkham phone holder) butchered to fit onto the stem because we use (UK) OS 1:25,000 maps when we ride in new (to us) terrain.

20221121_125203~2.jpg

Coatezy

Nov 8, 2022
South West, UK
I ended up getting a top tube mount for the kiox, and getting the kiox controller with the longer cable - its a pretty effective solution.
View attachment 78249
Is there a part number for the Kiox controller with the longer cable? I’m going to grab a Trek top tube mount for mine when my retrofit kit arrives but from what I understand the controller cable is not long enough.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles