Can you replace a 35mm bar with a 31.8?

force11111

Sep 6, 2023
Ocala, FL
As the title says. I have a turbo levo and the specs say it’s a 35mm diameter bar. I want to get a bar with slightly more rise but All the bars I’m looking at are 31.8mm. I don’t suppose that would be a direct replacement or do I have to replace the stem as well?

If that’s not doable does anyone have a link to a good 35mm riser bar/brand?

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
There are adapters, or you could get a new stem. If you haven't gotten bars yet, OneUp makes nice compliant bars that are a good value. I'd just get a new stem, though if you really need a 31.8, particularly if you need to get more rise than available in a bar.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
As the title says. I have a turbo levo and the specs say it’s a 35mm diameter bar. I want to get a bar with slightly more rise but All the bars I’m looking at are 31.8mm. I don’t suppose that would be a direct replacement or do I have to replace the stem as well?

If that’s not doable does anyone have a link to a good 35mm riser bar/brand?
Burgtec ride high 50mm

IMG_1538.jpeg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Sorry. I’m the noobiest noob in noobville. What do you mean Maxed on spacers? On the stem?
Why did you want change the rise of your bars in the first place? Spacers (shown in RED) adjust the placement/height of the stem which holds the bars on the steer tube. You may have extra spacers above the stem (you always need at least one spacer above the stem) which could be placed under the stem to get a little more height if that is what you are looking for.

spacers.jpg

If you are feeling too much pressure on your wrists maybe a bike fitting is a good idea as putting bars with TOO much rise can be difficult to ride.
hi riser.jpg

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Sorry. I’m the noobiest noob in noobville. What do you mean Maxed on spacers? On the stem?
Under the stem, on the part of the fork that comes up through the bike, there are circular spacers that can be used to raise or lower the level of the stem. That way you can adjust the height of the stem/bars just by adding or removing those spacers without changing anything else out.

force11111

Sep 6, 2023
Ocala, FL
Under the stem, on the part of the fork that comes up through the bike, there are circular spacers that can be used to raise or lower the level of the stem. That way you can adjust the height of the stem/bars just by adding or removing those spacers without changing anything else out.
It looks like there’s a spacer above the stem on my bike. So I guess I can still move it up

IMG_0074.jpeg

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

@force11111, I've replaced stems and bars on my ebikes a few times. While you can adjust stem height by using different spacers above and below (the stem) to your personal preference, always make sure to leave a ~3mm gap between top of steering tube and top cap.

It is also recommended to have a 5mm spacer above the stem and not to exceed ~50mm of spacers below the stem.

Take a look at the photo below. It should look like this.

stemspacer.png

Last edited:

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
@force11111, I've replaced stems and bars on my ebikes a few times. While you can adjust stem height by using different spacers above and below (the stem) to your personal preference, always make sure to leave a ~3mm gap between top of steering tube and top cap.

It is also recommended to have a 5mm spacer above the stem and not to exceed ~50mm of spacers below the stem.

Take a look at the photo below. It should look like this.

View attachment 125122
Yep!

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
I used these last year to install a set of Renthal 31.8 bars I already had on my 35mm stem to get more rise. It was only going to be temporary but really like the way the bars ride so have left them on. I haven’t had any issues. YMMV
54029392_7_image.jpg

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
FUNN make a stem that will give you 10mm rise and it's available in various lengths as well. Look for FUNN Equalizer.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Or you can fit some triple clamp forks which enable you to lower and raise the front end at will.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles