Can you get tired on a Rise properly?

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
Hi! I have a silly question to you Rise owners - I'm 33 and pretty fit, but usually mostly do trailrunning and road cycling. I've been doing mountainbiking only 1-2 (sometimes 3) times a week because I always liked riding trails and riding alone. Due to limited time (on my analogue Scott Genius), such rides essentially end up being about 2-2.5hrs with about 5-6 downhills totalling about 2500ft.

What I'm looking for in an e-bike is being able to ride for the same amount of time, being able to do (up to) twice as many downhills and elevation, while also getting as much tired as on the analogue.

I debated Levo SL vs the Rise and now I'm one click away from ordering the Rise M10, but wanted to ask you: could you get as tired on the Rise as you do on an analogue bike in 2-2.5hours while doing more elevation and riding?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But he won't do twice as much !!

If you do twice as many descents, then you'll be tired ??

You can adjust/tune the assistance modes to give as much or as little support as you like.

Assuming you were climbing at 10kph before and with the Rise you climb at 20kph, with the rise giving half the effort and you the other half then ultimately, you should be more tired as you've pedalled just as hard but done more descents.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It all depends how much you push yourself ? Even on a full fat ebike on full power you can get the same exercise if you want to. You may end up reaching or getting close to the assist limit so the assist power reduces when you are pushing hard.

The only problem might be on technical terrain where you are speed limited, but you can just lower the assist to suit what you want.

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
A good question and one I debated.

I'm going out this lunchtime, I'm going to ride for 1.5hrs and I'm going to push myself exertion-wise. I will use the same level of effort as on my analogue, but my av speed is likely to be 17kph rather than 12kph. The ride encompasses a couple of small downhill runs, that I will loop a few times, boosting back to the top, but will still be high exertion as I'll put effort in on those fireroad climbs, and the downhills still tire me.

There are other days where I go out to improve my technical skills. I boost to the top of the hill to the jump track, keep boost on all around it, so I'm just focussed on jumps and drops (still quite tiring), and then I'll boost home - Completely different objective and works equally well.

The fact I have pretty much as much assistance as I want means I can get a little lazy sometimes and keep it on too high an assistance, but that's only when I'm not that bothered that time about fitness.

So in summary, if you want a workout from the Rise, you can certainly get it. The eTube app lets you hone the modes to match your preferences too. I kept my analogue bike for 4 months in case I felt fitness was slipping - I sold it last week.

I have an M10 too, Happy with the components specc'd bar the front brake rotor size and the suitability of the tyres for British winters. All simple to sort.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
This question has a very short answer lol. You can push the pedal as hard as you want on an ebike, no matter the amount of the assistance, no matter the output of the motor (SL vs full power), no matter whether it's on boost or switched off. Your power output just adds to the motor power and you go faster.

On full power ebike, I still get a full on cardio workout while using a lot of assist, because I just default to pedalling hard and trying to go fast. The difference vs a regular mtb I find is the anaerobic component is a lot less at the end of the day. So it's closer to a road bike type of effort I think, and easier to recover from. Different from a road bike effort because there's descending with all the pumping and throwing the bike around, but like a road bike effort for the pedally bits.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I'd wondered about this as well to an extent and I'm just back from 9 days of long daily rides on the Rise.

On the rise you can definitely set to 'assist' rather than to just power you up the hills - put some effort in on a climb in Profile 2/Trail and you definitely get to the top out of breath and with a raised heart rate. What you *don't* get is the 'blowing out of your arse', can't do anything until my heart rate has dropped that you get at the end of a long tough fast climb on an unassisted bike.

We were riding at least a full battery drain each day (I'm getting over 1200m climbing out of the internal and looking like 1800-2000 possible out of both internal and range extender) on tough trails - effectively we were riding for about the same amount of time as we would have done on unassisted but with more climb and distance. Your legs don't end up as tired, but your upper body more so as you've done more descending (and more climbing if it's techy).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles