Camelbak

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I drink a mix of orange squash and an energy tablet or two, so there is plenty there for the bugs to feed on! After an experience with black mould, I adopted a cleaning regime that keeps it at bay.

After every ride, I rinse the bladder out twice, including the tube and mouthpiece. I use a tea towel to dry inside the bladder.
Then I scrunch up a couple of paper towels and wedge them in there to stop the faces of the bladder touching, to allow the air to circulate and the inside to dry.
Every so often, but about monthly depending upon usage, I fill the bladder with water, add some Milton, squeeze the air out, than let some out via the hose to ensure the hose and mouthpiece are in contact with the Milton.

I have had no further problems.

Milton is a sterilising fluid used in babies bottles, and Milton recommend that the bottle is not rinsed out before use. So it is completely safe! The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite.

My mate only ever puts water in his bladder and he finds that storing it in the freezer stops any problems developing.

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
I drink a mix of orange squash and an energy tablet or two, so there is plenty there for the bugs to feed on! After an experience with black mould, I adopted a cleaning regime that keeps it at bay.

After every ride, I rinse the bladder out twice, including the tube and mouthpiece. I use a tea towel to dry inside the bladder.
Then I scrunch up a couple of paper towels and wedge them in there to stop the faces of the bladder touching, to allow the air to circulate and the inside to dry.
Every so often, but about monthly depending upon usage, I fill the bladder with water, add some Milton, squeeze the air out, than let some out via the hose to ensure the hose and mouthpiece are in contact with the Milton.

I have had no further problems.

Milton is a sterilising fluid used in babies bottles, and Milton recommend that the bottle is not rinsed out before use. So it is completely safe! The active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite.

My mate only ever puts water in his bladder and he finds that storing it in the freezer stops any problems developing.
Just ordered some Milton tabs. See how I go cheers

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I only ever put water in mine (after the initial vodka rinse of course) and it gets emptied and put in the freezer between uses.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

It tastes pretty horrible if you don't rinse it thou.

I just use water in mine, store it in a cool room, no issues with it going mouldy. I try and remember to empty and dry it after use, but generally forget and just empty it, rinse it out and refill before I go ride. If it's sat for more than a month or so, or it starts to smell, I beech it with Milton or equivalent.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As with Dax. I always stick to water* in all my bottles/bladdres and they don't need much cleaning other than an occasional wash along with the dishes.

*except that one new year when i killed one by filling it with booze (not vodka)

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
I only ever put water in mine (after the initial vodka rinse of course) and it gets emptied and put in the freezer between uses.

Yep same here. Had one of my bladders for about 14 years and it is still ok. I have 4 different ones i use for the Motorbikes and MTB's, they all get the same KISS method. Water only, emptied when i get home and tossed in the freezer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles