Broken spoke, I need help with searching for the replacement

MickS

Sep 10, 2020
Poland
Hey guys, I need help with finding a replacement for the spoke that broke on my rear wheel today. The wheel is SunRingle Duroc SD42 27.5 rim with SRC Boost 148 hub (j-bend spokes version, 32 H). I've tried to search for the spokes that would fit as a replacement. However, the spoke has broken at the very beginning of the thread. And as far as I know, the spokes are measured from the bend (knee) to the END of the thread.

That's the tricky part for me, because I don't know the nipple length, as the nipple is still in the rim and I can only measure the part of it sticking out. I know that there are some nipple standards, but I don't understand them yet. What I can tell about the nipple is the size of the spoke key which is 3.2 mm and the length of that square part is 6 mm. The broken spoke is 270 mm from the j-bend to the beginning of the thread (where it broke). If I would know the full nipple length, then I could subtract these 6 mm sticking out from the nipple length and use the result to add to these 270mm.

So, the question is if it's enough to "guess" the full nipple length when I know that the nipple needs 3.2 mm key and its square part is 6mm? Can you help? I'm happy to answer your questions if any additional information is needed.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yes, do that, assuming you've asked Sun Ringle & they haven't replied? Your spoke needs to be within a mm or so of the original. Shorter & it will be weak, longer & it will pierce the rim tape.

MickS

Sep 10, 2020
Poland
Thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't figure it out myself, this sounds so obvious now, doh!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles