Broken spoke

Woodyboy

Dec 10, 2020
Uk
Hi, I’m after some advice after finding I have a broken spike on my rear wheel today. I have 2 days of riding coming up (fri/sat) and wondered if it’s still ok to ride?
I’ve never repaired one before and will struggle to buy the tools and spoke in time.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I would ride very carefully, there is a risk that several spokes will come off and that the rim will become crooked if you continue to ride.

speaking from my own experience when I ride with a rim that was missing 2 spokes and after a while the rim was very crooked. I tried
to align the rim and tighten the spokes but it only lasted a while so had to buy a new rim

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Hi, I’m after some advice after finding I have a broken spike on my rear wheel today. I have 2 days of riding coming up (fri/sat) and wondered if it’s still ok to ride?
I’ve never repaired one before and will struggle to buy the tools and spoke in time.
Can you not just take the wheel to a local shop and have them fix it? Last time I had a broken spoke, I dropped it off at my local shop in the morning, and collected it after lunch. Cost about £10.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
That's the thing with forum's, everyone has had different experiences with problems.
So long as the rest of the spokes are tight I'm sticking with, it will be fine.
If they are loose then the other advice is what could happen. Seeing as you have no tools, ie spoke key or something that can turn the nipple a bit then try a bike shop asap seeing as time is short before your ride.

Woodyboy

Dec 10, 2020
Uk
Thanks all, LBS useless (took in today). I’ll check for any lose spokes and take a risk. In contact with DT Swiss so I can order the correct size spoke and will have a go myself next week 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles