Broken plastic RAM mount. Don't buy it for rocky terrain.

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Broken GoPro Knob.jpg

Broken Knob X-grip.jpg

I bought RAM products two weeks ago and found out the ball knob is made of cheap plastic, not metal, which isn't durable at all under rocky/downhill terrain.

The knob broke on the GoPro mount and it has broken twice on my previous X-grip mount. On the contrary, the other part of the ball knob is made of metal that doesn't break.

Built and labeled as a product made in USA, it is a shame RAM has cut too many corners. And it results in a great risk of damaging/losing mounted equipment worth more than $1000 (an $800 phone and a $300 GoPro)

The product is authentically purchased from RAM associated retailer but they refused to repair/replace the product labeled as quality issue and insisted the product has good quality control.

The retailer simply said I shouldn't have tightened the knob "too much". They never actively mentioned the knob is made of plastic until I point it out. They only indistinctly admitted since it is made of plastic and it cannot be fully tightened or plastic breaks easily, which wasn't mentioned in the product manual. And the mounted camera will head downward overtime if I don't tighten it up.

If the knob is made of metal, like the one from the improved Quick Grip, it won't have a problem like this.

From my point of view, this is a straight-up quality issue due to cost reduction and it has given me several hazardous rides.

So don't buy it for the mountain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles