Broken E7000 with video

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
There's no assistance at all in any mode, its under warranty so I'm not to fussed but any idea whats up ?

Whats it sound like if you wind the pedals around with the chain removed? Does it make any noise if you pedal backwards?

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Whats it sound like if you wind the pedals around with the chain removed? Does it make any noise if you pedal backwards?

Forward without the chain is just what I presume the normal noise...a dry unlubed bearing like a old skateboard wheel a bit grindy but nothing bad, backwards is silent.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
No, its not touching the guide, when the assist is off it doesn't make the noise, I presume with the chain been off the motors not trying to engage ?
I have seen these where the small transfer gear bearing has collapsed, but yours almost sounds like a gear tooth is missing? Had any pedal strikes recently? This is all a moot point really as the E6000 and E7000 are mostly un repairable without de soldering the circuit board and good luck with that!

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
I have seen these where the small transfer gear bearing has collapsed, but yours almost sounds like a gear tooth is missing? Had any pedal strikes recently? This is all a moot point really as the E6000 and E7000 are mostly un repairable without de soldering the circuit board and good luck with that!

No significant pedal strikes but yeah I do have them, so its unreliable and unrepairable I hope they recycle the parts and these arnt just going in a landfill somewhere.

How many Kms have you done on that motor?

681 Miles, probably around half on the road just pootling along.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You hooligan ! :LOL:

Maybe they'll swap it for an e8000. If they're sensible they'll have dropped production on the 7000. The 8000 with become the base motor and the new motor will be the main motor.

But the e7000 probably costs less to make ?? @Bearing Man ??

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK

Maybe they'll swap it for an e8000. If they're sensible they'll have dropped production on the 7000. The 8000 with become the base motor and the new motor will be the main motor.

?‍♂️ They’re very similar internally, so I guess they would be similar cost to produce but one has a bigger number than the other one so more can be charged ?

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.

Well I got the bike back with the e8000 :D shop said Shimano don't have any e7000 in stock and sent the e8000 so maybe they have dropped production of it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Vitus seem to have been shipping quite a few e7000 bikes with e8000 motors.

Not sure if they've stopped producing it. Would make sense if they're introducing new one(s)

sputnik378

Jun 10, 2023
USA
Mine did the same thing under load, climbing a steep trail. I had over 2000 miles on it before failure with 0 issues.

I was sent an e8000 replacement and it's installed now, but it will not activate when pedaling even though it's recognized and updated in the e-tube app (no error codes either). Has anyone else experienced this?

My next step is to take it to the shop and use their Shimano diagnostics tool to see if something is amiss.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles