Levo Gen 3 Brake Upgrade? 2022 Turbo Levo Pro

Granite

Oct 26, 2021
Colorado
I am not real happy with the Sram RS Guide rear brakes and I am thinking about upgrading to Shimano XT 4 pot rear brakes. Has anyone done this? Is it a pretty straight forward swap?

Thanks,

Steve in Colorado

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
flush them through with brake cleaner would be OK I think?

recently changed gear cable outer and it was a right pain to get it through the motor section. Not sure I'd want to face that again with the rear brake hose.

Granite

Oct 26, 2021
Colorado
Went to my LBS and talked to some of the guys I know who are good riders and in the know. They talked me into using what they feel provides good feedback vs the on off feel I have with my regular pedal bike and the Shimano XT brakes. I picked up a set of the SRAM Code RSC brakes and new rotors. I had a chance to try them out this morning and they felt like what I was after. Game on!

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I like my Code RS on the TL.
However they are a bit noisy (squealing). So I am already thinking about upgrading to Galfer pads and rotors :D

Other than the noise I like the modulation of brakes and I also don't feel like they are under-powered as I often read.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I like my Code RS on the TL.
However they are a bit noisy (squealing). So I am already thinking about upgrading to Galfer pads and rotors :D

Other than the noise I like the modulation of brakes and I also don't feel like they are under-powered as I often read.
It's a good and big upgrade. I have done it and the brakes are much better. Remember to make sure you get 2mm thick rotors.

Launchrider

Jan 7, 2022
calgary
I have the bike and did this switch to XT four pistons. Very straight forward to do as the frame has internal guides for the lines. Took maybe an hour to do both brakes including bleeding.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Granite

Oct 26, 2021
Colorado
Ok, got a chance to ride the bike on my regular 18 mile ride with plenty of steep descents and fun drops. The new brakes are night and day better, no squealing brakes as of yet. Pretty happy with the update.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Changed my Levo Pro brakes to XTR 4pots. So much better! Hoses are fully channeled So a simple job. New hose just slides through without dropping motor or any faffing around. I threaded the new rear hose from the rear of the bike using a hose plug and then did a bleed at the lever end.

Using the same rotors and mounts (200mm). No problems but will probably change over to 203mm when I need to replace the rotors.

Gordon

Levo Olli

Mar 9, 2021
Deutschland
Before you make an expensive swap, try these brake pads. It will blow your minds!
You think you have new brakes.

20221209_111056.jpg

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
I am not real happy with the Sram RS Guide rear brakes and I am thinking about upgrading to Shimano XT 4 pot rear brakes. Has anyone done this? Is it a pretty straight forward swap?

Thanks,

Steve in Colorado
Yes and they blow away the Sram. Do it you will be happier With far less arm fatigue and way better stopping power just make sure you get the metal pads not organic.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Shimano :love: even 2 piston Shimanos are stronger than any 4 piston Sram ...
and it counts on longer descents.

currently on my Levo I have Sram G2, nice brakes, but on long descents or after full day, Shimano would be better.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
The Levo Pro come standard with code RSC ? Why did you need to change them.
That’s what I was thinking. I’m not normally a SRAM guy but I’ve been pretty happy with the Code RSCs, I just changed the rotors to the Hope HD rotors and they’ve been GTG.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
If you try Magura MT7's, I'm quite confident you'll keep them. Best performance/feel of any brake I've used, and I've used most all of them. SRAM, Shimano, Hayes, Magura.

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
Used the MT7s / 220s on my 2019 TL. Really liked them. Put a new set on my 2022 S-Works build as well. No real complaints but have never been a fan of the carbotech material and reservoir full caps that strip so easily. On a whim I grabbed a set of the Hope Tech 4 V4s with 220s and put them on this weekend. So happy with the feel and quality of the levers (and no tool adjustments). Stopping power and modulation feels very similar to the Magura setup. All in all it’s the full package for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles