Brake Squeal

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Is it normal for front brakes to start to squeal in dry/dusty weather? I know it's common in the wet, but my front has started over the last couple of days. The brakes are standard Guide RE's on my 2019 Comp Carbon. I had a look at pads and they don't look worn (400 miles)

The bike has not been washed or had anything sprayed near it to contaminate the pads either.

What do you guys think/recommend?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
No !
Just because the ashtray in your car is full, dosent mean you have to get a new car (unless it's a Jaguar)
:)

#1: Wash that bike !
#2: remove pads and give them a good nice surface with fine sandpaper.
#3: do the same on the discs.

Thanks, the bike is cleaned after every ride - wiped with a damp microfibre (waterless wash) and dried with a fresh one.

I thought about trying a spray brake cleaner before anything drastic, and I've no idea where I can get fine sandpaper in this lockdown.

Riprocken

Apr 9, 2020
USA
Its the garbage sram pads. Three rides on my levo and nothing but squealing. I cleaned them, I resurfaced them, I ground the corners off the pads. They would stop for 1\2 ride then start again. Replaced with EBC and now they are quite and stop much better. 6 or so rides later and still no noise.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Thanks Guys, I think it might be worth trying some different pads, they don't cost too much.

The next question then is which one to try, EBC and Uberbike seem to be recommended in a number of threads. EBS list 3 and Uberbike 6 for the RE's, confusing to say the least!

Also, should you change front and rear so they match or can you just change the front?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Thanks Guys, I think it might be worth trying some different pads, they don't cost too much.

The next question then is which one to try, EBC and Uberbike seem to be recommended in a number of threads. EBS list 3 and Uberbike 6 for the RE's, confusing to say the least!

Also, should you change front and rear so they match or can you just change the front?

ive tried both types of pad in different bikes and the uber's are the best value and I dont notice any difference, the EBC seem to last longer but they are not on an ebike and have way more material.. I just change front or rear when worn..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had squealing, went through the usual suspects (oil/grease contamination, dirt, misalignment....) Turned out it was a cracked piston that had jammed. That was the rear brake caliper replaced under warranty. Many hundreds of miles later, the front started squealing, went through the usual suspects...... Now I'm waiting to see if the front caliper needs replacing.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
ive tried both types of pad in different bikes and the uber's are the best value and I dont notice any difference, the EBC seem to last longer but they are not on an ebike and have way more material.. I just change front or rear when worn..

Thanks Dobby, I'm thinking of giving these a go, what do you guys think?:

Uberbike E-Matrix SRAM Code R - Code RSC - Guide RE E-Bike / Endurance Disc Brake Pads

I thought I'd read that the RE's need sintered pads, would these be okay?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Thanks Dobby, I'm thinking of giving these a go, what do you guys think?:

Uberbike E-Matrix SRAM Code R - Code RSC - Guide RE E-Bike / Endurance Disc Brake Pads

I thought I'd read that the RE's need sintered pads, would these be okay?

I met a guy on a 19 comp carbon in berkshire bikes who said the ebike pads were great, I use the sintered ones here: Uberbike SRAM Code R - Code RSC - Guide RE Sintered Disc Brake Pads
mainly because I get through loads (very muddy and gritty here) and they work great...

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I met a guy on a 19 comp carbon in berkshire bikes who said the ebike pads were great, I use the sintered ones here: Uberbike SRAM Code R - Code RSC - Guide RE Sintered Disc Brake Pads
mainly because I get through loads (very muddy and gritty here) and they work great...

Thanks Dobby, I called Uberbike earlier who suggested the e-bike ones might be my best bet, particularly in this weather. I asked about sintered and he said thats what I would need if it was winter/muddy.

I'll order a set and see how I get on, they might last until winter when I could try the sintered ones you use.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Thanks Dobby, I called Uberbike earlier who suggested the e-bike ones might be my best bet, particularly in this weather. I asked about sintered and he said thats what I would need if it was winter/muddy.

I'll order a set and see how I get on, they might last until winter when I could try the sintered ones you use.
good info, I been using the sintered ones all winter so I might give the ebike ones a go myself.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Installed the Uberbike e-bike pads today and when for a ride.

Spent some time bedding them in properly, and have to say the difference is like chalk and cheese.

I replaced the front only, but they feel completely different. I'd read a lot of comments about the difference pads can make, and to be honest were it not for the squeaking I would not have thought about changing the pads.

The new ones are not just quiet, but much more controllable. I didn't think spending £12 could make such a big difference, but it does, a cheap and worthwhile upgrade.

Old Pads
1589303331620.jpeg

1589303384883.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles