Quieter brake pads

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Hey folks, I live in Kona Hawaii and we experience nightly rain showers which leaves the trails wet for early-morning rides. The guide RE stock brake pads on my 2018 levo carbon comp squeal like a pig when wet, which can be most of the ride. What aftermarket brake pads have you found to be be quieter in the wet but still work well? I'm hoping all of you Brits in the forum can help with this. Thankfully the Big Island is newly formed and there is very little of the incredible mud that I routinely see on the Brits bikes haha, but just lava grit on our trails mostly. Thanks, Jeff.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Thanks Donnie, I have seen similar videos and got that stuff down pretty good. You're right it's just the sram brakes. Still holding out hope someone will know of an aftermarket brake pad that does better when wet. Brakes work well so I have no complaints otherwise and can't afford to replace them.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Yeah, using similar pads now. Non-organic. Problem is the bike is constantly rushing against green shrubbery all along the trail which leads to a constant howl during the entire ride practically. Not sure you would enjoy that either, Al, haha. My buddy has Shimano and they rarely make a noise.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It’s actually strange, I now have more than 200 km on my new comp carbon Levo and my Sram brakes are deadly silent wet or dry. Not that I care if it makes a sound as long as it stops me.

Karsten

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
It’s actually strange, I now have more than 200 km on my new comp carbon Levo and my Sram brakes are deadly silent wet or dry. Not that I care if it makes a sound as long as it stops me.

Karsten
What, really, mine squealed like a pig when wet from the very first ride. I even sanded down the brake pads and clean the rotors with alcohol but still does it. That's just not fair, ha ha!

Adasb

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2018
New Zealand
It's a well known SRAM problem, so other pads might not help.
If you don't want to replace your brake (yet - the sooner or later you probably will ^^), maybe this can help:

OK, so what brake system would everyone recommend as an upgrade from the stock setup?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles