Bosch software update at nearest Bosch bike shop

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Hi all,

Only had the Cube (gen 4 Bosch) since feb this year, so it came with the 1.0.2.0 software but now there is the 1.0.3.0 update and also the up and coming 85nm update, etc, etc July time

Being new to Ebikes and software updates, could someone shed some light on the below Just for my own FYI...

1) I won’t be taking the bike to where I bought it from (Infinity cycles are too far away for a software update), so I will be taking it to the nearest Bosch dealer / bike shop I have found through the Bosch website (happens to be only ten miles from me) and I hope to book it in with them - in your experience, do they usually welcome this or do some LBS‘s get a little ‘ansey’ as you didn’t buy the bike through them and put you at the bottom of the queue?

2) Fully prepared to pay for this update service, as obviously I’m taking up their labour time but as a general rule of thumb, how much would you expect to pay for such a service? Which I assume takes a few minutes of upload time only? Just so I know I’m not getting royaly ‘ripped off’

I know this will differ from bike shop to bike shop but just a general £££ amount?

many thanks for any reply / help

?

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Hi all,

Only had the Cube (gen 4 Bosch) since feb this year, so it came with the 1.0.2.0 software but now there is the 1.0.3.0 update and also the up and coming 85nm update, etc, etc July time

Being new to Ebikes and software updates, could someone shed some light on the below Just for my own FYI...

1) I won’t be taking the bike to where I bought it from (Infinity cycles are too far away for a software update), so I will be taking it to the nearest Bosch dealer / bike shop I have found through the Bosch website (happens to be only ten miles from me) and I hope to book it in with them - in your experience, do they usually welcome this or do some LBS‘s get a little ‘ansey’ as you didn’t buy the bike through them and put you at the bottom of the queue?

2) Fully prepared to pay for this update service, as obviously I’m taking up their labour time but as a general rule of thumb, how much would you expect to pay for such a service? Which I assume takes a few minutes of upload time only? Just so I know I’m not getting royaly ‘ripped off’

I know this will differ from bike shop to bike shop but just a general £££ amount?

many thanks for any reply / help

?
Still waiting to pick up my emtb but have been preparing and looking into getting the upgrade as soon as I get it.
I can only tell you that I looked at a local BOSCH registered centre/bikes shop close to me and not the one I am buying the bike from, and it states in the servicing section on their website, that they will charge 25 quid (hours labour) for the upgrade as long as you can produce a receipt/bil of sale.
As for them being arsey, I too wondered that. Tbh, I feel that 25 for probably 15 mins "plug and play" laptop fettling is easy money for any shop and not to be sniffed at as they may have gotten a new customer (we will probably buy some shiny bits there while we wait for the bike to be done, knowing us lot!) . I myself am looking to maybe pop in before hand and personally "build up" a face to face rapore, as I like to do this as I will be using them for anymore updates/issues that may occur along the ownership route.
Hope this helps in some way. Good luck and enjoy the extra 10nm ?.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's a 5 minute jod, tops. £25 is fucking outrageous! Mind you, £25/hr is actually quite cheap.
Tbh, I feel that 25 for probably 15 mins "plug and play" laptop fettling is easy money for any shop and not to be sniffed at as they may have gotten a new customer
To earn a new customer they ought to do the update for free.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
It's a 5 minute jod, tops. £25 is fucking outrageous! Mind you, £25/hr is actually quite cheap.

To earn a new customer they ought to do the update for free.
Yeah, fair point. But as with anything like this, our "short and curlies" are tightly held by the suppliers of such things, and where void warranty threats are bandied about on every manual/sticker.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Still waiting to pick up my emtb but have been preparing and looking into getting the upgrade as soon as I get it.
I can only tell you that I looked at a local BOSCH registered centre/bikes shop close to me and not the one I am buying the bike from, and it states in the servicing section on their website, that they will charge 25 quid (hours labour) for the upgrade as long as you can produce a receipt/bil of sale.
As for them being arsey, I too wondered that. Tbh, I feel that 25 for probably 15 mins "plug and play" laptop fettling is easy money for any shop and not to be sniffed at as they may have gotten a new customer (we will probably buy some shiny bits there while we wait for the bike to be done, knowing us lot!) . I myself am looking to maybe pop in before hand and personally "build up" a face to face rapore, as I like to do this as I will be using them for anymore updates/issues that may occur along the ownership route.
Hope this helps in some way. Good luck and enjoy the extra 10nm ?.
was thinking the same - as only ten miles way, may pop in tomorrow and speak to them face to face other than over the phone or email ? - build up a ‘repport’ and all that

Steve940 - if £40 is what is being asked for by Infinity (if not free) - that’s outrageous IMO for a five minute job ?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Had a quote from Cycles UK , they they would only do it as part of a £100 service.
Bloody profiteering

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
was thinking the same - as only ten miles way, may pop in tomorrow and speak to them face to face other than over the phone or email ? - build up a ‘repport’ and all that

Steve940 - if £40 is what is being asked for by Infinity (if not free) - that’s outrageous IMO for a five minute job ?
I agree but what can you do

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
£15 is more like it ?
Regarding which update (older versions/motor versions) you already have, check out this link-some will already know it, others will not if new to this area.
It's a good source to ensure you are at least armed with the right questions/requests when going to the dealer.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Regarding which update (older versions/motor versions) you already have, check out this link-some will already know it, others will not if new to this area.
It's a good source to ensure you are at least armed with the right questions/requests when going to the dealer.
???

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Local bike / Bosch dealer to me charges £25 - I can live with that ?
Seems like the going rate from my searching. I've had car and motorcycles charge a flat hourly rate for these things even when it takes less-updating satnav/ecu software). What can you do eh?
Safe riding and enjoy.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Just had my 2 bikes done at edge Cycleworks in Lancaster, £20 each didn't need to book very friendly not pushy on sales or moaning about not buying there.... Would I use again.. Definitely nice bunch of lads and took about 40 minutes to do both bikes..... Happy camper here???

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Today I finally found a shop which update my motor to 1.1.0.0. I must say I notice couple of things: Motor has more power that's for sure, it pulls harder, faster and you can pedal in last gear with no problem (1*12 sram drive train) . Before I didn't know what gear to choose and was constantly changing between 11 and 12 at around 25 kmh limit. I did notice something weird, I think motor never completely turn off after you pass the 25 limit mark. Before update I could hear engine turning off and on at about 27 kmh on purion display. It was actually annoying sound, constantly turning on and off..but now I have a feeling that I can still hear it even when I pedal over 28.. And it's a little easier to pedal 4 sure. I tried today many times on flat surface and didn't have any problems reaching and maintaining, even passing 30kmh on 2.6 tires on my cube stereo hybrid 140 .. I was fast like on XC hardtail. I drove to service 40 km to update and then back and I had great opportunity to test it..It feels like eco eco eco mode is still running even past 25 kmh limit. It's like a little help to reduce weight of the bike, just a little but my time on the route doesn't lie, I set fastest 40km time ever..maybe it is only my imagination but I think it's not. I didn't manage to test turbo boost mode and didn't test much of emtb mode but 4 sure you don't need to switch gears so often .. so kudos for that Bosch. Another surprise is battery management, I am giving at least 10 percent boost. I drove 50 km and one bar and something down. Purion can't display exact percentage but I'll test that further... For now, I am extremely happy with update, I think now Bosch gen4 motor is one of, if not the best motor in the market at the moment.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Infinity said today if bosch say free it's free,otherwise £40 with them

Team Cycles wanted £40 as well but I've managed to get it booked in with the shop I bought it from so hopefully it will be free.
Both shops told me there was a three week waiting list mind.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Team Cycles wanted £40 as well but I've managed to get it booked in with the shop I bought it from so hopefully it will be free.
Both shops told me there was a three week waiting list mind.
Ask em for a written price and tell em it's for the forum so we all know the most expensive dealers with service work.
After a price like that I would never use them again on principle,,,,,vote with your wallets and they will learn, at the moment the dealers are cashing in big time with the new resurgence or cyclists but judging by how many are now starting to pop up second hand this isn't going to last.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have an appointment at my LBS for Monday. I booked in for a general service as I need to get my front wheel bearings changed as they went rusty. so a complete checkover before my Transalp seems like a good idea.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles