Bosch Riders are LAZY !!!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l've got a E8000 with the 504Wh battery, my range is 30 miles if l mainly use "trail" and do a lot of climbing off road.
lf l ride in "eco" and go slower/more on road l can easily get well over 40 miles.
The battery health (according to Stunlocker) is 87% after 16 charge cycles and around 800 miles.
lt mustn't have included partial charge cycles as 16 wouldn't be enough for 800 miles.

However despite the app claiming that battery health is at 87%, l've not noticed any drop off in actual range.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Range depends on so many factors. l have the Shimano 504Wh battery and l can get over 60 miles on a road ride, that's riding in "eco" (but with eco set at max) at just below the assistance cutoff speed. Or above it when possible.
Riding extreme off road with technical climbing and singletrack will rinse the battery in 30 miles.
lt depends also on how fast l ride, whether l use mainly "eco" or "trail" on the hills, whether l am keeping up with my mates or riding alone, how fast l accelerate from low speed or stationary, how fast l spin the pedals etc

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Continuing the Gen4 testing .. rather than EMTB mode, I varied through support modes (even turbo on the last climb as I was dead).

80km's and 2116m (50 Miles / 6942ft) - Magic Mary's Trail and Gravity in soft. Lazy Lazy Lazy !

Screenshot 2021-07-12 08.51.09.png

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Continuing the Gen4 testing .. rather than EMTB mode, I varied through support modes (even turbo on the last climb as I was dead).

80km's and 2116m (50 Miles / 6942ft) - Magic Mary's Trail and Gravity in soft. Lazy Lazy Lazy !

View attachment 66379
Phfft ..hardly worth getting out of bed for ...??...( joking)
Seriously impressive ...well done !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

View attachment 66379
Those are impressive figures. for comparison I did 33 miles and 5500 feet (53km and 1676m) on Saturday on a bosch cx gen 4 with 625wh battery, that was also mixed modes, mostly tour, the occasional turbo ,emtb & eco.

Interestingly strava also estimated the average power of my ride at 234w, , which is about the same as yours. So why was my range/height so much less?

I have a maxxis shorty on the front ,and dhr ii on the back, both max terra compound. I weigh about 83kg.

edit : you must have spent a higher proportion of your ride above the speed limiter than me I guess.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Phfft ..hardly worth getting out of bed for ...??...( joking)
Seriously impressive ...well done !
I can't deny that it completely killed me though :) A couple of beers and much to the dog's joy - not even the energy left to eat all my curry ... and then very early to bed and slept like a baby.

Good day out Zimmer!! Well done. Thats with one 625?
Yup. One 625. Though instead of leaving it in EMTB and getting 80k and 1500m I used all the modes which gained me more altitude but considerably more fatigue - stopped to talk to anyone given the opportunity and even trail clearing was a nice leg rest. Both rides I rode over the 25kph limit wherever possible - which obviously helps on battery range, but kills on human range. Trails were wet and mainly overgrown, so neither of those really help.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Interestingly strava also estimated the average power of my ride at 234w, , which is about the same as yours. So why was my range/height so much less?

I have a maxxis shorty on the front ,and dhr ii on the back, both max terra compound. I weigh about 83kg.
Because you're a lazy lazy Bosch rider ! :)

I'm not sure Strava always calculates that correctly .. it had this for me the other day which is no way correct even if I did almost die in the process :

Screenshot 2021-07-12 17.19.45.png

Range and altitude are all very variable and depend on so many things. I'm more like 70kg's so that will make a difference. My climbs were probably about 70% on tarmac as there's a couple of roads which loop round and get you a good way back up where I rode - that will make a massive difference. I found DHR/DHF to be really draggy too, but again, for whatever reasons we all find these things different.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Kind of defeats the whole point of a range test...
There's so many other factors though that a range test will be different for everyone anyway. For me it's more a range test compared to a Brose or a Shimano with the same rider and riding them in the same way. Like all the Yamaha riders who say "I got 200km's, but I had it turned off for 150 of them" ..

Steepness of climb, speed for instance all make a difference. There must be an optimum speed to ride in eco for example where the energy it provides is the most efficient for what you have to provide to get the best wh per meter travelled. For example, if you were using 120wh per hour in eco at 10 kph, but you then went at 20kph instead and the bike was still putting out 120wh per hour (I know, wh per hour is stupid, but it's to explain the concept) then you'd go twice as far for the same amount of battery used.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles