Bosch Purion to Kiox Display, e160RS Anyone done the swap?

Kezzo80

Feb 16, 2021
Cheshire
Afternoon all,

I've only had my e160RS for a bit less than a week, but already the Purion display does irk me a bit with its location, bulkiness and basic nature.

It's the only let-down on the bike TBH, especially being a premium model, I'd have hoped for a better interface.

Has anyone attempted the swap to Kiox and if so how easy was it? I'm not very technically proficient (can just about manage discs and pads!).....just wondering if its worth the effort or do I learn to live with the display!?

Cheers :)

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Afternoon all,

I've only had my e160RS for a bit less than a week, but already the Purion display does irk me a bit with its location, bulkiness and basic nature.

It's the only let-down on the bike TBH, especially being a premium model, I'd have hoped for a better interface.

Has anyone attempted the swap to Kiox and if so how easy was it? I'm not very technically proficient (can just about manage discs and pads!).....just wondering if its worth the effort or do I learn to live with the display!?

Cheers :)
Search on here and you will find numerous posts about it but check this one out, it includes a "How To" that I wrote. Kiox fitment. - EMTB Forums

Kezzo80

Feb 16, 2021
Cheshire
I've got the Kiox on my 160, but my dealer changed it before I got the bike, as the Purion is Pure crap, in comparison! :D

Oversight on my part, although the bike was already built at the LBS and it was a speculative enquiry about what they had in stock.

It really is crap! The only thing that lets the bike down.

Put another 20k on it this afternoon, it’s just such a dream to ride :cool:

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I really don't see what the problem is ..it does what it's supposed to .
I may consider changing if it becomes faulty ..but so far I havent had cause for complaint ..

Once you get used to the Kiox, you wouldn’t have anything else! And having it centrally mounted is a much more natural place to have it.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
If you like all your settings and multi customizable displays showing everything you'd want to know, then Kiox is a big step up.

If you just want simplicity then Purion is great (although annoyingly bright when riding at night!)...

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I have an e160RS and got my lbs to change it soon after I got the bike.
My previous Cube had a Purion which completely failed after about 4 months. . Initially Bosch said it wasn’t a warranty issue as it had had water ingress.
Yes it had.....I live in the UK and ride in the rain!
My lbs spoke to Bosch and they agreed to replace it as it was obvious it had not been damaged.
So the Purion is only splashproof.
The Kiox is IPX7, waterproof and dustproof
The Kiox can be removed as an extra security
measure, or registered with Bosch to disable the motor without the specific registered unit.
Besides maps and routes an a clock etc.

I think it’s worth the upgrade.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I have an e160RS and got my lbs to change it soon after I got the bike.
My previous Cube had a Purion which completely failed after about 4 months. . Initially Bosch said it wasn’t a warranty issue as it had had water ingress.
Yes it had.....I live in the UK and ride in the rain!
My lbs spoke to Bosch and they agreed to replace it as it was obvious it had not been damaged.
So the Purion is only splashproof.
The Kiox is IPX7, waterproof and dustproof
The Kiox can be removed as an extra security
measure, or registered with Bosch to disable the motor without the specific registered unit.
Besides maps and routes an a clock etc.

I think it’s worth the upgrade.

Don't be so certain about the waterproofness of the kiox. I have the kiox on my bike and it let water in through the USB port cover and failed. I think if the USB cover is securely closed then it meets its ip rating for water resistance, however it is very easy to not close that cover fully, or the cover falls open slightly, and knacker the kiox.

I have used insulation tape on my new kiox to ensure the USB cover stays securely closed.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Good point....it does have a disclaimer “ with usb plug installed”...in the spec.
I have also put a small lanyard on mine as I lost it the other week in mud and leaves and it is very well camouflaged

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve got my Kiox linked to my phone, so had a go with the nav the other day. Was very impressed at how it knew where all the paths in the woods were.

Matthew87

Aug 8, 2019
Sweden
I, as you, didnt like the position of the Purion display. So I did a 3D printed mount to have the Purion above the stem.
I sell it for 30 euro including shipping within Europe.

1.jpg

Here's a thread about it:

Cheers!

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I like the look of it, good job.

I do change mode quite a bit when riding, and flick through the distance/range displays, so it's not for me.

gogsie

Dec 21, 2020
Sauchen
I fitted the Kiox myself. Easy 1hr job with no reprogramming involved. The mount i use is from ebike prints and works very well. I have had a big crash where i broke the trigger switch but it was an easy fix, had i been using the purion it would have been destroyed i'm sure.
I love the extra displays and the connectivity with your phone to record rides and then upload to strava etc.

176726630_10159431219858069_6885511738738760726_n.jpg
178397634_10159434060423069_7073005654337018408_n.jpg

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
Gogsie, I take it you feed the Kiox cable down through the frame to the motor. Does it go through the frame grommet OK?
Open this link and in the posts you will find a "How to.." that I wrote for the upgrade. Kiox fitment. - EMTB Forums
The grommet is probably the hardest part and I ended up replacing mine (they are sometimes cut in the middle by the bike assembler and split when trying to get the Purion connector out).

gogsie

Dec 21, 2020
Sauchen
Gogsie, I take it you feed the Kiox cable down through the frame to the motor. Does it go through the frame grommet OK?
Yes it does, just follows the purion cable route, It does go through the grommet, lots of lube and patience and its no problem.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I fitted the Kiox myself. Easy 1hr job with no reprogramming involved. The mount i use is from ebike prints and works very well. I have had a big crash where i broke the trigger switch but it was an easy fix, had i been using the purion it would have been destroyed i'm sure.
I love the extra displays and the connectivity with your phone to record rides and then upload to strava etc.

View attachment 59783 View attachment 59784

Looks good, but why not mount the display where the centre cap is, and move the controller up out of harms way?

gogsie

Dec 21, 2020
Sauchen
Looks good, but why not mount the display where the centre cap is, and move the controller up out of harms way?
Because then the display would then be in the firing line when i crash and i don't fancy it pounding into my chest if i go over the bars, the display is £??? to replace the controller is £50.

Wilko58

Nov 24, 2020
Chorley
@Tribey I'm not in as much danger as @gogsie so currently have mine mounted on the stem but going to fit the Cube handlebar mount soon. Unless you have the display screwed to the mount it shouldn't get damaged as it is designed to breakaway in a crash and technically the only part that would break if would be the mount itself. To prevent accidental loss of the display use the tethering hole on the display to tether it to your bike with a lanyard.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles