Bosch Purion display upgrade

th3c0d3r

Sep 13, 2021
Romania
Hello,

I've been a big fan of Shimano until I had to replace 3 motors for 2 ebikes and, even then, I have preordered the new Merida e-one sixty but when the importer said (after 3 months) there is no clear delivery date and there was a very good offer on the Scott Ransom eRide 920 I switched to the Bosch family :).
One thing I never liked about Bosch were the displays, now I'm thinking of changing the Purion display on my bike with either the Kiox or the Nyon but I can't stop wondering if it's really worth the 200/400euros price tag.
The only thing I'm missing from the Purion display is the cadence which helped me keep a high enough rpm before, can someone that uses the Kios/Nyon displays tell me if they're really worth it?

Thanks

carlton

Sep 6, 2021
Wokingham
I'm pleased with my Nyon upgrade. The navigation isn't as good as I hoped (it's actually pretty poor but is as good as Komoot) and it adds to what is already a busy cockpit. But I like the connectivity, battery percentage/range estimate etc.. Is it worth the money? Certainly not but then nothing's cheap in this game and I'd probably do the same upgrade again

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I upgraded my Purion to the Kiox. I simply wasn't interested in the gps feature of the Nyon. Plus, the Nyon seemed really large. The Kiox does everything I needed and gave me a better way to change the motor and scroll. Something the Purion doesn't do easily while riding..or at all really. Basically, the Purion is a pile of shit.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
I hated the Knox initially, because of small size, difficulty to read, magnetic mount.
Then I read the menus properly and found the single information screen format.
Then I linked it to Komoot and really liked the simple heads-up direction and turns arrow.
Then I bought a clipped in tether.
Then I bought a Levo SL second bike and now I am missing my Knox!

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
I upgraded my Purion to a Kiox and really like it. I like the ability to customize the display. I have mine set up to look at four different things. Speed, total distance, battery life distance left, and ride time. I think it was worth the money to upgrade.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I've often wondered what benefits are afforded by having one of the 'upgraded' displays.
To me, its only function is changing mode, and my speed, and tbh i never look at it, possibly because im completely technically incompetent (I only got a smart phone 6 months ago, and still hardly use it beyond whatsapp or the odd call) or maybe its just concentrating on staying the right side up.

So what are the benefits as users see them ?. I can understand that if you disappear off into the wild blue yonder, having maps is a good idea, and i believe you can fiddle about with power ratios, though there again i wonder do we fiddle, because we've been given the ability to fiddle ?, but in truth it isnt really something that makes a huge deal of difference.

So sell me on it. I am open to suggestions, this isnt a Bah Humbug type of post. I am genuinely interested on what it can bring.

Last edited:

Lecollazo

May 7, 2021
USA
I have read all posts but I have a question for the Kiox users. Can you change the motor power on the different functions (eco,tour,embt, turbo) or this function is only for the new smart system? Also upgrades are supported for the Power unit, battery and diaplay?

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
I upgraded from Purion to Nyon primarily for the rider power/HR/cadence data and the ability to create custom riding modes. I LOVE having custom settings for my Adventure (road, gravel) rides, but I don’t feel the need for custom settings with trail riding as I think the emtb lite and emtb modes are Perfect for trails. Not thrilled with the Bluetooth connectivity which doesn’t always connect with my phone. Haven’t used navigation yet. If I didn’t want the custom settings I would have been happy with the Kiox.

Last edited:

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
I have read all posts but I have a question for the Kiox users. Can you change the motor power on the different functions (eco,tour,embt, turbo) or this function is only for the new smart system? Also upgrades are supported for the Power unit, battery and diaplay?
If you are asking if custom riding modes can be created? No, the Kiox cannot do this.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Simply more information and easier to change the motor settings on the fly. Either you want it or you don't...pretty simple dude.
Whats the one that allows maps, or 'satnav' type of thing. I reckon thats a good idea, especially for getting about in unfamiliar routes.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I went from the Purion to the Kiox - love it to bits
The navigation works well from my phone in my bag, the different screens and options to customise them is awesome
I love being able to see my power output and RPM

The nyon I believe has navigation built in whereas the Kiox navigation needs a phone connected to it with bluetooth

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Hello,

I've been a big fan of Shimano until I had to replace 3 motors for 2 ebikes and, even then, I have preordered the new Merida e-one sixty but when the importer said (after 3 months) there is no clear delivery date and there was a very good offer on the Scott Ransom eRide 920 I switched to the Bosch family :).
One thing I never liked about Bosch were the displays, now I'm thinking of changing the Purion display on my bike with either the Kiox or the Nyon but I can't stop wondering if it's really worth the 200/400euros price tag.
The only thing I'm missing from the Purion display is the cadence which helped me keep a high enough rpm before, can someone that uses the Kios/Nyon displays tell me if they're really worth it?

Thanks
High Rock Ruti

Replaced at my LBS the purion to a Kiox($250), Nyon was not available at the time. 2020 Trek 9.8 Rail great upgrade.

Warm Regards

Ruti

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
I went from the Purion to the Kiox - love it to bits
The navigation works well from my phone in my bag, the different screens and options to customise them is awesome
I love being able to see my power output and RPM

The nyon I believe has navigation built in whereas the Kiox navigation needs a phone connected to it with bluetooth
The Knox does NOT need a phone connected to it for navigation. Routes on the phone are sent to the Knox by the phone using Bosch e-connect app at start of your ride, but then it navigates as you ride showing (very adequately) a single line route with turn arrows as they arise. Kiox has navigation but not mapping, If you stop riding long enough for the Bosch system to switch off, then you will need to re-connect your phone to the Knox and send the route to it again. Otherwise, you don't need your phone, which will soon run down its battery if using map navigation. The single line route on the Knox can be selected to 'close' (large turns arrows) or 'distant' (single line). That selection is made on the phone app which must be connected.
Ref. my earlier post and missing Knox on my Levo SL second bike, following Rob and Paulo's advice I got a bar mounted tough phone to use BLevo. But I could not bring myself to fit it after feeling the weight of this phone, to be hanging off the front of my bar. So, its for sale unused, and I've got a Garmin Fenix watch instead.
The small format of Knox is its best feature and other manufacturers should copy it.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have a Kiox on my Scott 900 Tuned. Buying a cheaper second bike and it comes with a Purion - not going to even bother picking it up until the display and controller switch is changed. Someone has a bike in at my dealer that is having a Nylon installed next week so I will have a look.
My gut feeling is that I will just go with a Kiox as on my Scott. Don't needSatNav etc as I always ride with my phone.

The only thing about the Bosch system is the controllers are SHITE. Bosch needs to rethink things and come up with a controller like the one on a Levo
No stupid menu bottons - just Power Mode Up and PM Down - doesn't even need a walk mode button.
1647746690335.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
All of them.
Far too easy to got to change your power mode on a climb and nothing happens - you look down and you are getting asked if you want to reset your system ..................... WTF................... No I don't, but but that stage you have failed on that pinch climb you hit.
A well designed controller should have nothing but mode up and mode down. Could possibly have the ability to switch screens if you have just a real small, basic screen that shows say mode & power output -switch to speed or battery life, but thats enough.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
A well designed controller should have nothing but mode up and mode down. Could possibly have the ability to switch screens if you have just a real small, basic screen that shows say mode & power output -switch to speed or battery life, but thats enough.

Isn’t that the Purion?

Never had a problem with mine. Up and down modes, and just showing speed and range. Simple.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales

Isn’t that the Purion?

Never had a problem with mine. Up and down modes, and just showing speed and range. Simple.

But it does look "shite" :)

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
The Knox does NOT need a phone connected to it for navigation. Routes on the phone are sent to the Knox by the phone using Bosch e-connect app at start of your ride, but then it navigates as you ride showing (very adequately) a single line route with turn arrows as they arise. Kiox has navigation but not mapping, If you stop riding long enough for the Bosch system to switch off, then you will need to re-connect your phone to the Knox and send the route to it again. Otherwise, you don't need your phone, which will soon run down its battery if using map navigation. The single line route on the Knox can be selected to 'close' (large turns arrows) or 'distant' (single line). That selection is made on the phone app which must be connected.
Ref. my earlier post and missing Knox on my Levo SL second bike, following Rob and Paulo's advice I got a bar mounted tough phone to use BLevo. But I could not bring myself to fit it after feeling the weight of this phone, to be hanging off the front of my bar. So, its for sale unused, and I've got a Garmin Fenix watch instead.
The small format of Knox is its best feature and other manufacturers should copy it.

This is not 100% true. You can upload a ride to it when you start and it will work if you leave your phone behind, but it will not reroute you if you get lost as it has no internal maps. It's a lot more functional with a phone tethered. I have it on mine and use the nav every time I go out with my phone tethered in my bag.

I don't know what you're referring to with Knox but I'm assuming you mean Kiox

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand

Isn’t that the Purion?

Not really - has a bloody great screen hanging off it.
Of all the requests I see on many forums is ..... 'Does anyone have a Purion controller I can buy - I broke mine.'
Fortunately many swap their Purion for a Kiox so there are a lot of spares around.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Shortly after I received my Rail 2020 I upgraded from the Purion to the Kiox. I didn’t like the size, location, page information or the look of the Purion. I ordered and had the LBS install the Kiox. It was their first Kiox install and based on their reaction they had no idea how much was involved. Lesson for them. Even though they were a Trek dealer this new Bosch gen4 motor and Kiox was probably their first.

Everything worked great after the install with the Kiox mounted on the stem. I played around with the pages for a few weeks and soon settled for the speed, mode and battery page. I got tired of that and switched to the digital clock, distance remaining and battery %. The mode colour usually shows also.

After busting through some bushes, at the end of a trail once, I never noticed that the Kiox was knocked off. I descended for 100+m via gravity until I saw,(and needed) my Kiox was missing. Found it, and added a short tether to the Kiox when I got home.

My needs, area and ride style are different then others. A digital clock and distance remaining is all I need when I’m on a ride. The other info waits till I get home or when I’m curious. I never use mapping since I only ride on this mountain (70+ trails). There’s only 4 options if you’re lost; water, community, water …and never to be seen again. So it’s fairly easy to navigate. 😉
After several OTB and crashes I decided to move the Kiox to the top tube location. I don’t mind the controller on the old Kiox but I find the “walk-mode” is essential at higher elevations where there are more rock-faces or small cliffs. I also spun the controller to a lower position for better cockpit positioning. I’m in eMTB-mode most of the time anyways.
If I rode in the UK or elsewhere across the pond I would probably use my Kiox much differently.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I upgraded my Purion to a Kiox and really like it. I like the ability to customize the display. I have mine set up to look at four different things. Speed, total distance, battery life distance left, and ride time. I think it was worth the money to upgrade.

Kbass, are you saying that you switch between four screens with a different readout on each, or do you have four readouts on one screen.
I replaced the Purion with a Kiox on my Rail 7 and with the screen on the top tube, I find it difficult to read and could do with simplifying the layout. ?
I'm struggling to find anything about this in the manual but have not had time to play with it.

kbass24emtp

Dec 27, 2019
St. Louis
Kbass, are you saying that you switch between four screens with a different readout on each, or do you have four readouts on one screen.
I replaced the Purion with a Kiox on my Rail 7 and with the screen on the top tube, I find it difficult to read and could do with simplifying the layout. ?
I'm struggling to find anything about this in the manual but have not had time to play with it.
I have four readouts on one screen. There are screens that have only one readout. If you go to the setting options you can change things for different screens. There are some videos in YouTube on the Kiox about what it can do. I changed the background color the see the display better in the daytime. I have mine mounted on top of the stem.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have four readouts on one screen. There are screens that have only one readout. If you go to the setting options you can change things for different screens. There are some videos in YouTube on the Kiox about what it can do. I changed the background color the see the display better in the daytime. I have mine mounted on top of the stem.

Thanks Kbass. I have now had time to play with the settings and fiddle with the different 'tiles'. I also meant to change the background colour but forgot.
I have mounted my Kiox on the top tube and I think that is the real problem but as I now have speed, trip and time on their own displays, things are okay. I'm not fussed about the other readouts whilst on the move.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have ordered a Kiox kit for my bike arriving next week.
Personally, I am happy with the screens with 1 exception. I run the power level screen and will switch to others when we have a stop for something, but would prefer the power meter size to be about 1/3 small and make the battery life 100% bigger. As an old fart I can't really see the current one without stopping. Of course, when riding slow I can flick to the screen that shows both my battery life as well as the battery life on my phone, but is a pain.

20220327_122112.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles