Bosch Powertube still moves when 'locked' into place

Ashphil

Aug 10, 2021
Hungary
Hi all, I'm new to eBikes, having got my first one recently, and I just have a question about the Bosch Powertube moving when locked in. I didn't buy the world's fanciest eBike (Focus Thron), but I'd like to think it cost enough to not have to trouble shoot things a week into riding it.

When clicked into place, the Powertube can still be moved inwards a couple of mm more. It doesn’t really move at the connector end, and takes a bit of a squeeze to move it at the top, but it can move. The weight of the battery keeps it all pretty stable, but I’m sure it’s moving a bit when ridden off road. Again, am I just looking at something that is to be expected? Is a bit of battery movement when locked in normal? Do the mounting brackets need adjusting, should I pack the space with foam, or just put up with it and ride?

I'll take it back to the shop if need be, but if it is an easy fix to do myself or nothing can be done, then I'd rather get out and ride.

I’ve attached a few photos which might make what I’m trying to say clearer…

Finally, does anyone know of a link to a service manual for working on the above? – I can find the readily-available consumer manuals, but for anything maintenance-wise they say return to the dealer. I’m quite happy to make some minor adjustments myself, but would want to be able to check torque settings, etc. for the mounting brackets.

Powertube cover gaps.jpg

Thron with battery cover locked into position.jpg

Thron with battery cover moved inwards.jpg

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Hi all, I'm new to eBikes, having got my first one recently, and I just have a question about the Bosch Powertube moving when locked in. I didn't buy the world's fanciest eBike (Focus Thron), but I'd like to think it cost enough to not have to trouble shoot things a week into riding it.

When clicked into place, the Powertube can still be moved inwards a couple of mm more. It doesn’t really move at the connector end, and takes a bit of a squeeze to move it at the top, but it can move. The weight of the battery keeps it all pretty stable, but I’m sure it’s moving a bit when ridden off road. Again, am I just looking at something that is to be expected? Is a bit of battery movement when locked in normal? Do the mounting brackets need adjusting, should I pack the space with foam, or just put up with it and ride?

I'll take it back to the shop if need be, but if it is an easy fix to do myself or nothing can be done, then I'd rather get out and ride.

Finally, does anyone know of a link to a service manual for working on the above? – I can find the readily-available consumer manuals, but for anything maintenance-wise they say return to the dealer. I’m quite happy to make some minor adjustments myself, but would want to be able to check torque settings, etc. for the mounting brackets.

View attachment 68658

View attachment 68659

View attachment 68660

View attachment 68658

View attachment 68659

View attachment 68660
I arrived here with exactly the same worry. Maybe a little less play than yours, but play all the same.I can only imagine that that in time something will break or fail. Maybe a little foam behind the battery isn't such a bad idea ?

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
I arrived here with exactly the same worry. Maybe a little less play than yours, but play all the same.I can only imagine that that in time something will break or fail. Maybe a little foam behind the battery isn't such a bad idea ?
Did you get any help from the bike shop ?

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Digging up an old thread here, but just bought a bike recently (Canyon Grail:ON) which also came with a Powertube that was loose with a clear gap to the frame as delivered. Unlike @Sijmes the hinge pin on the bottom mount/latch assembly on my bike was fine, nothing bent or wrong. What I did find is that the mounts on the frame side at both ends (the connector end and the latch end) have slightly slotted holes for the bolts that secure them to the frame (presumably to allow for adjustment), and both of mine were set with the brackets at the low end of the range, meaning the battery sits as far as possible from the frame. I notice the same on @Sijmes photo above (I've marked up his photo below to explain). Loosening these screws, moving the brackets up into the frame allowed me to get the battery to fit properly, tight to the frame with no gap or excess movement. Hopefully this helps someone that gets a new bike and notices the same thing with their Powertube.
IMG_20220707_204113.jpeg

Last edited:

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I was just having this issue at the weekend with mine, thanks for the tip I’ll try that

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles