Bosch Powertube 625w range

Simon1970

Dec 9, 2022
Ash
Hello. I'm planning to do the South Downs Way early next year. If i stay away from Turbo mode do you think i will get 50 miles from one battery?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi, I’ve rode 70km on fairly flat terrain with a 500wh gen4 motor and still had 1 bar left. Your mileage may vary. 🤷‍♂️

But I can go thru 90% battery on my 625w battery(Rail 9.7)after 35km on our mountain.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The south downs you say? Why I ride those curvy sexy hillocks every week. Thing about the downs is you're never on the flat. It's up & it's down, no in between. On a full fat emtb, you're pushing it for 50 miles on a 625. You'd need to be in eco as much as possible, trail for the climbs.

I did Worthing to Devil's dyke & back this summer, got back with 14% on a 30 mile loop & 3280 vertical. You'd have to work hard for 50 miles.

Untitled.png
Untitledss.png

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hello. I'm planning to do the South Downs Way early next year. If i stay away from Turbo mode do you think i will get 50 miles from one battery?
Yes, as long as you're not trying to beat any speed records.

I live in Chichester so very often on the South Downs Way. Turn your motor off for the flats and down hill.

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
It can be done if your fit, and as others say, with good battery management. I did it this year with a 625 in my Giant trance. The first leg was Winchester to Worthing (where I stayed) was around 100k. The second leg was shorter but I found it much harder, only just made Eastbourne with 12% left. I don’t know why it’s called “the downs” coz all you do is seem to go up 😂. My favourite place to ride though, stunning, and very rewarding. Good luck on your quest

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
May as well do it on a normal bike, I can’t see you doing 50miles (+/-90km) on a emtb without considerably more pain than gain, I’d be pushed to do half that in the hills here, even being frugal with the ‘juice.’

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I'm 210 lbs. suited and ready to ride. To get 50 miles I'd have to be in eco the entire way and have relatively low rolling resistance and no regular brake usage.

Range is very dependent upon the tires and air pressure, tubes or tubeless, your riding position and weight. Even a clean chain with fresh lube can make quite a difference.

Here's a fun trick to get an intuitive sense of how much air resistance your trail tires have. It's especially shocking if you do it with a wide knobby with fresh tread. Put the bike in a bike stand or upside down so you can pedal it with your hand. Shift into high gear and "pedal" it up to a nice cadence of 80 rpms. Now hold that speed and notice how much pressure you need to keep on the pedals to maintain that speed. It's quite enlightening to see how much energy is consumed and most of it is just the air resistance of the tire spinning. Multiply that by 2 to account for your front tire which is not spinning when you pedal the bike in place.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Only about 16 miles and 3,000ft max on my Rail w/625 battery with riding mostly in Tour and some ECO to conserve juice. Never Turbo here, occasionally eMTB if extra battery to give. I had to buy second 625w battery for any longer rides. Not sure why Rail ate battery so quickly. 53 lbs, coil rear, aggressive thick tires/CushCore and 10spd gearing may be contributing factors even though keep cadence fairly high/steady. Was pretty amazed my new Fuel EXe with small 360 battery outlasted my Rail today on typical battery weekend ride. Got 4100ft in 17 miles on it today in Trail mode the whole time, pretty stoked. For reference I am just over 200 lbs and ride my bikes pretty hard

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Always make me wonder whether all this riding in ECO or Tour off-road is actually counter productive in terms of range. I rarely have to do any part of a ride on tarmac but that would be the only ti.e I would use those modes. Off-road I am in EMTB all the time with very short bursts of turbo when needed. My 625w/h in my Whyte e180 rs seems to have pretty good range......certainly better than the 500w/h I had in a Levo and not far off the 750 w/h in my e160 RSX.
I don't go by climb metrics because it tells you nothing really....the climb metres could be gradual on easy terrain through to steep on techy terrain and have very different impacts on battery use.
For me the biggest influences on range for the same bike on different rides is temperature, wind, tyre pressures and hard or soft terrain.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Always make me wonder whether all this riding in ECO or Tour off-road is actually counter productive in terms of range. I rarely have to do any part of a ride on tarmac but that would be the only ti.e I would use those modes. Off-road I am in EMTB all the time with very short bursts of turbo when needed. My 625w/h in my Whyte e180 rs seems to have pretty good range......certainly better than the 500w/h I had in a Levo and not far off the 750 w/h in my e160 RSX.
I don't go by climb metrics because it tells you nothing really....the climb metres could be gradual on easy terrain through to steep on techy terrain and have very different impacts on battery use.
For me the biggest influences on range for the same bike on different rides is temperature, wind, tyre pressures and hard or soft terrain.
Emtb and Turbo zaps my battery much more than ECO and Tour for sure. Lots of factors affecting battery like you say, temps, trail conditions, steep climb pitches. At the end of the day, for myself at least, it is all about how much fun DH did I get. Since use Strava and Garmin to record, it only measures in vertical feet gained. For me, that is reflective of how much trail DH. And to why mileage isn’t always relative, especially when riding steeper trails (less miles typically). So far my Fuel EXe smoking my Rail in vertical (DH) per battery charge.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Emtb and Turbo zaps my battery much more than ECO and Tour for sure. Lots of factors affecting battery like you say, temps, trail conditions, steep Climb pitches. At the end of the, for myself at least, it is all about how fun DH did on a trail ride. Since use Strava and Garmin to record, it only measures in vertical feet gained. For me, that is reflective of how much trail DH. And to why mileage isn’t always relative, especially when riding steeper trails (less miles typically). So far my Fuel EXe smoking my Rail in vertical (DH) per battery charge.
I mostly ride forest trails and climbs are relatively short but climbing back up the downhill rather than firetrailing it back to the trailhead is as much fun and challenging as going down😆

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I mostly ride forest trails and climbs are relatively short but climbing back up the downhill rather than firetrailing it back to the trailhead is as much fun and challenging as going down😆
Yep, my local DH/FR private trail zone that I hit after work is usually up the same trails as descending. Yesterday was mostly up fireroads, some paved climbs and some trail climbs to DH’s. Still my Rail w/625 usually only good for 75-85 minutes of continuous riding max there. Got 2 hours yesterday on the Fuel EXe w/360, so tells me Rail just not as efficient, likely due to much more power that kills battery

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Yep, my local DH/FR private trail zone that I hit after work is usually up the same trails as descending. Yesterday was mostly up fireroads, some paved climbs and some trail climbs. Still my Rail w/625 usually only good for 75-85 minutes of continuous riding max there. Got 2 hours yesterday on the Fuel EXe w/360, so tells me Rail just not as efficient, likely due to much more power that kills battery
Rail w/750 Smart likely much better with range and possible efficiency compared to 625. I haven’t tested it. My buddy on Rail 5 w/500 gets as much or more than I do on my Rail when riding together. But he is 20 lbs lighter and rides mellower than I up and down

Gray_Hawk

Sep 14, 2022
Germany / Costa Rica
On a recent trip, with 2x625wh BOSCH batteries on Gen4 CX, we averaged comfortable "1000" meters of "Ascent" (Aprox 3300 feet) for each fully charge battery.. Days with 3000+ meters of ascent we would charge during breakfast and lunch... (The other bike had a PW-X2 Yamaha motor, about same results). Our target was 1500, and we maxed out about 1500 meters with one battery full charge. This could be 29Kms of HARD 10%+ average grade or 100kms of flat, hilly gravel. My weight 82Kgs, my load 12Kgs on the backpack, bike 22Kgs. Tires, 20/21ps, maxxis rekon+. May be this can help others calculate a specific range. By the way, Costa Rica is not a small Country. is a HUGE mountain bike park.!! cheers.

EpicCostaRica.jpg

StravaEpicCr.jpg
Pittier.Jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles