Bosch Nyon importing GPX routes....

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I've got a new Bosch Nyon and every time I import a gpx route into the eBike Connect portal from Komoot it says "Could not map your route to existing roads. Your route will be visible on Nyon without turn by turn directions."

I have tried making sure that the route is on roads only and not on any paths, cycleways, etc etc and it still gives the same error and sure eough the rout displays on the Nyon but it won't give any distance information or turn by turn instructions. I've even tried converting an already ridden route into a Nyon route and it still does not give me any turn by turn info. The only time it will give me turn by turn info is if I put a destination into the Nyon and let it calculate its own route.

Has anyone else seen this and/or got a fix for it? It's a massive PITA!

TIA

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
So I've done a bit more testing and basically if you create any kind of route on Komoot that includes a waypoint then export it to the eBike Connect portal the Nyon won't give turn by turn navigation. It only works if you put a start point and a destination and let it work out a direct route from A to B. If you do that then export it it will offer turn by turn navigation. Completely useless if you want to navigate a planned ride along a certain route.

Silverfox Baz

Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
So I've done a bit more testing and basically if you create any kind of route on Komoot that includes a waypoint then export it to the eBike Connect portal the Nyon won't give turn by turn navigation. It only works if you put a start point and a destination and let it work out a direct route from A to B. If you do that then export it it will offer turn by turn navigation. Completely useless if you want to navigate a planned ride along a certain route.

I’ve found the same thing recently. I’m sure I have had turn by turn directions with Komoot routes containing waypoints in the past though. Has there been an update that changed this or am I imagining it?

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
That would explain it - it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out what I need to do to get turn-by-turn back.

@oceanskipper By 'export to ebike-connect' you mean the automatic push from komoot to bosch, not a manual import/export, right?

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I have a new Nyon and have not had time to start importing routes yet, as I was at the end of my riding season when I upgraded from the Boach Smart Phone Hub. But you might just call Bosch custmer service and ask them about your issue. I have found them to have great customer service and are very helpful there the few times I've contacted them.
There are also Nyon user forums you can locate with Google.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
Has anyone found a solution to this? Considering how integrated Bosch and Komoot are supposed to be it’s hugely annoying when trying to create a route. I rode in an event yesterday that published a downloadable gpx file which I imported into Komoot and it worked perfectly - I am going to ask them what they used to create the route.

Silverfox Baz

Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
On the weekend I created a route in Komoot with 5 waypoints and found that the Nyon now gives Turn by Turn guidance with the waypoints. It also reroutes if you go off the route but I found that it doesn't reroute to the next waypoint but to the end point.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
On the weekend I created a route in Komoot with 5 waypoints and found that the Nyon now gives Turn by Turn guidance with the waypoints. It also reroutes if you go off the route but I found that it doesn't reroute to the next waypoint but to the end point.
Some of the Youtube reviews have been out for a number of years on the Nyon They still complain about no voice turn by turn guidence when you import routes. Hopefully as you pointed out, a Nyon update may have finally corrected this.

Last edited:

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I think you might have just been lucky that the mapping corresponded. I imported a gpx route from a Velo 29 Sportive a couple of weeks ago and the turn by turn, distance to destination etc all worked perfectly, like you I was hopeful it had been fixed. Yesterday I did a second route from them and it only had the route this time. It's basically rubbish still (I have asked them for detail of how they planned the routes in case there is something useful to be learned frm that so I'll report back). The distance (even when wheel circumference is adjusted) and altitude are way off when recording a ride too, which makes the system a bit crap really, but that's another thread....!

I wonder if anyone has had more success planning a route using a planner other than Komoot...?

Last edited:

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I’ve emailed Bosch a couple of gpx files to look at. The one that worked and also one of the many that don’t! I looked at the files in a txt editor and I couldn’t see any obvious differences. I even tried copying the header from the working one over a non working file but it still had no turn by turn….

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Does nyon let you save a ride as a route? and then have it work like you want?
if it does you could see what file format it uses then make your routes on the ridewithgps website, then you can save it as any number of different file formats.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
It lets you export previously ridden routes as gpx or tcx or to Strava but if you do that and reimport them they still don’t work. It also has a convert to route function whereby you can in theory ride a previous route without exporting and reimporting but that doesn’t work either - it just gives a warning saying could not map the route to existing roads as below…

992C673E-7308-4EEA-8B4E-6ABD5FD6BFBA.jpeg

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I got the below reply from Bosch which is BS. I have tried exporting and re-importing previously ridden rides which I know to be on the road only and they still don’t give turn by turn instructions.

Thank you for your email.

Thank you for the GPX files. The routes that are not routable contain some sections that are off road. Therefore, the turn by turn navigation will not work for those routes. Unfortunately this is the normal behavior of the system when the route contains off road sections.

Thank you and have a lovely day.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
So I have discovered what the problem is - basically the mapping that Bosch use is utter garbage!
Yesterday I had a previously ridden Strava route shared by a friend that I imported into Komoot with no problem - sure enough when I tried to import it into EBike Connect it gave the "known ways" error. So, I decided to map the route manually in the Bosch Ebike web portal. I put in the start and end points then tried to adjust the route by adding waypoints so it matched the Komoot version. Problem number 1 you can only have 10 waypoints. Problem number 2 I discovered that it refused to use some sections of certain roads, it was as if the road just stopped and then restarted again a mile later - these were A roads too not pathways/tracks. If I tried to force the route to continue along these roads by dropping a waypoint where it had gone off track it just said could not map route and continued doing a massive detour only to rejoin the same road a mile further up. This was happening all over the place as if there were massive gaps in the mapping. Eventually I gave up and let it do its own route and then tried to follow it. It was OK until I deviated from it once and then it just kept trying to reroute me to the previous waypoint and there was no way to skip it. In the end I abandoned the route and just put the destination address in and let it recalculate its own route. Basically the navigation is of no use whatsoever for any pre-planned routes.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
You need a Komoot account and you need to buy their mapping. You can create a gpx wherever you like and import into Komoot. When you do it says that some routes aren’t on know roads but you can say that’s ok. It then works smooth as - rerouting if you change path and voice commands

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
You need a Komoot account and you need to buy their mapping. You can create a gpx wherever you like and import into Komoot. When you do it says that some routes aren’t on know roads but you can say that’s ok. It then works smooth as - rerouting if you change path and voice commands
Do you have an example? In komoot I get “includes a segment in which cycling is not permitted” but not sure how you can map between two points without there being a path (“known road” as you put it) between them.

1687533687613.png

Bosch routes around the segment mindlessly having you loop around up to it and back down again

1687534297383.png

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
Yeah, there is no way to force the Nyon to do what you want and route on certain sections of certain roads/paths because although they show up on the map in the Bosch Portal they are seemingly missing from the backend mapping and simply cannot be added no matter what you do. It's utter garbage. And it's not weird off road sections either - there are major roads missing whole sections up to a mile long and it just will not use them.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
I use OS maps to create a route. I drop waypoints throughout the route. On Komoot during a ride it says segment off grid and creates a straight line between two waypoints. Bit of I know there is a legal path I stick to it and it continues after that ✅

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
this thread is about the Bosch Nyon not being able to follow routes imported from Komoot or indeed any where.
My experience is quite different.

I use Komoot for all of my planning. I have my Komoot account connected to my Bosch account and all new routes from Komoot will automatically sync to the Bosch portal from where they eventually reach my Nyon from 2021.

In most cases (99%) Komoot routes are shown on the Bosch Portal with identical routing.
In the Bosch eBike Connect app the routes differ more often from Komoot and the Bosch portal.
The Nyon will show the routes always the same as the app and not the portal.

What I’ve leaned over the past two years:
  1. You must have bough the maps from Komoot covering the region you plan your tours and want them to work on the Nyon. Komoot handles this like any other ‚download to GPX device‘. Without the maps no download and no sync.
  2. Bosch will not work with Komoot routes that use the off-grid routing function.
  3. Bosch‘s routing engine is very restrictive with some special road usage limitations and will refuse to follow these even when Komoot does.
    Those are -from my experience- One way streets that allow bicycle use in both directions. Bosch will not route the ’wrong‘ way, but will find another much longer route. If you set a waypoint in that street you will get a circular route around, in the other end and back out.
    Streets or any other paths with time and/or day restrictions for bicycle use. Bosch will never use those while Komoot does and will only give you a warning about the restriction.
  4. It helps to have the latest map version locally loaded on your smartphone and the Nyon.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I have all the maps and a Komoot Premium subscription. The routes sync OK and they appear as a blue line on the Nav screen so you can at least follow them but the turn by turn navigation and any distance/ETA info is not available. I think it depends where you live - my guess is in Germany it works a lot better than the UK.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I have all the maps and a Komoot Premium subscription. The routes sync OK and they appear as a blue line on the Nav screen so you can at least follow them but the turn by turn navigation and any distance/ETA info is not available. I think it depends where you live - my guess is in Germany it works a lot better than the UK.
If you would share a link to an example route in Komoot that does not work with your Nyon, I could have a look and check for any anomalies I‘ve seen before. I bought the world package for Komoot but no Premium subscription. So please find an example that does not make use of any Premium functionality. The example route needs to have public access enabled in Komoot so that I can copy it to my own account.

A year ago I could help someone else with a very similar problem. Turned out his route crossed the border between Germany and Belgium for half a kilometer and he didn’t have the Belgian maps.

I don’t think that there is a huge difference in functionality between the UK and Germany. The maps are both based on OSM and the coverage should be similar.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
Thanks for the offer but I've done plenty of testing myself, there are no anomalies in my routes and Koomot works perfectly well independently, giving navigation instructions itself when using the phone app, without issue. I have tried routes created in Komoot, routes imported into Komoot and routes previously ridden that I know for sure are on major roads and visible on any and every map and the results are the same - the Bosch portal says "could not map route to existing roads", EVERY time. I have also examined the GPX files in a text editor to see if anything looks odd but it doesn't. The routes simply don't match Bosch's awful mapping so it can't cope. It only works if you let it plan the whole route itself whereby it presumably misses out the bits it can't cope with but that's no good when trying to navigate a pre planned route. I have only ever had one route that mapped correctly in the Nyon out of the 300 or so routes that I have in Koomot. If you read my earlier post (quoted below for reference) I tried to mimic a road route in the Bosch Ebike web portal that a friend shared, thereby bypassing Komoot altogether. My thinking was that maybe the route had some anomalies like you say but it failed spectacularly to allow me to match the route manually as per below and in the process proving that the Bosch mapping is utter garbage - do you work for Bosch by any chance...😉🙄

Oh, and I might add that I have another bike on which I use a Karoo bike computer and I have zero issues with Komoot or Strava routes on that - only on the Bosch…

Yesterday I had a previously ridden Strava route shared by a friend that I imported into Komoot with no problem - sure enough when I tried to import it into EBike Connect it gave the "known ways" error. So, I decided to map the route manually in the Bosch Ebike web portal. I put in the start and end points then tried to adjust the route by adding waypoints so it matched the Komoot version. Problem number 1 you can only have 10 waypoints. Problem number 2 I discovered that it refused to use some sections of certain roads, it was as if the road just stopped and then restarted again a mile later - these were A roads too not pathways/tracks. If I tried to force the route to continue along these roads by dropping a waypoint where it had gone off track it just said could not map route and continued doing a massive detour only to rejoin the same road a mile further up. This was happening all over the place as if there were massive gaps in the mapping.

Last edited:

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Thanks for the offer but I've done plenty of testing myself, there are no anomalies in my routes and Koomot works perfectly well independently, giving navigation instructions itself when using the phone app, without issue
That’s ok, was only an offer.

Just to be clear, I don’t think the problem is with Komoot. I know there are some issues with routes planned in Komoot and transferred to Bosch. But I have never heard about such a number of failures as you seem to experience. I have more than 200 active routes in Komoot and most of them are following complicated trail patterns in forest areas. All of them work on my Nyon.

There must be something wrong in one of the steps you’re following. What I understand from your posts is, that you export the route from Komoot and import the GPX into the Portal where you get the errors. I don’t do that. I have my Bosch and Komoot accounts connected so that every new route in Komoot automatically transfers to Bosch and eventually ends up on the Nyon. There never is a ‚could not map route to existing roads‘ error.

For your reference: I do most of my planning on the Komoot website, so that is always up to date. On my iOS devices I use the latest available versions for the Komoot and Bosch apps. My Nyon is on FW 3.0.0.0.

And as I said, I don’t believe the map details Bosch uses for the UK and Germany are so much different that it would explain what you are seeing.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I think you are misunderstanding me - It's not Komoot that's the problem it's the Nyon mapping. I have tested various scenarios and I also like you have Komoot synched. I only started manually importing them because they would not give turn by turn navigation on the Nyon and I was wondering why. Just to be clear it most definitely is not the steps I am following. Please take note of what happened when I tried to create a route in the Bosch portal itself. It would not allow me to map the route using the roads I wanted to even though those roads appeared on the map.

And again for clarity the route itself appears on the Nyon it just does not give turn by turn instructions or any info on distance remaining, ETA etc.

So here's an example - I want to go down the road circled in red (it was included on a previous route that I had synced but it did not work so I tried to recreate it in the Bosch portal...

The portal won't go down that section of road no matter what I try.
EMTB1.jpg

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
Here is that same screen expanded out so you can see what route the Bosch portal has actually plotted..

To get from waypoint 5 to waypoint 6 it has gone all the way round the area in pink...

EMTB2.jpg

And here again I want to go along the section of road highlighted and I have put several waypoints on it 2, 3 and 4 but it routes me all over the place.

EMTB3.jpg

So when my route created in Komoot used that road the Nyon wouldn't and this happens on loads of roads which is why it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I think you are misunderstanding me - It's not Komoot that's the problem it's the Nyon mapping.
I got that and as I said before Komoot is my standard planning tool. But I also have never seen those problems you describe.

However, thanks for sharing the screenshots. Now I think I know what the problem is.

That road Bosch refuses to use is named A179, so it’s an A-road which to my understanding in the UK is one class below a M-road. While cyclist are banned from M-roads they may use A-roads or when banned an alternative cycling way must be provided.

This looks like another and for me new instance of those very restrictive road uses Bosch has implemented in their routing engine. It is clearly wrong, but falls into the same pattern as the one-way streets and time/day restricted roads I mentioned before. It could also mean that that specific section it won’t use has an incorrect classification in the original OSM material.

And it surely doesn’t help, that in Germany roads named Axx are Autobahns, wich cannot be used by cyclist, same as your M-roads. :ROFLMAO:

I can only suggest you write to Bosch‘s support and tell them. This must be a widespread problem in the UK.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles