Bosch Kiox fixings

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've just added one to my Orbea Wild FS. It has a magnetic securing method with an optional screw fixing. Although the magnet feels quite strong I was wondering how many people supplemented the magnet with either the screw fixing or a small lanyard. And perhaps more to the point what are peoples experiences with the security of the device especially over roots and rock gardens etc. and in the event of a fall.

Al

Dashfield

May 11, 2021
Bristol, UK
Mine is mounted on top of the headset and I knocked it off twice on my first ride. So I bought a little bumper on eBay with a little loop at the top. Now I have a little carabiner from the bumper to one of the cables so if it comes off it stays connected to the bike.

I’ll take a picture at some point to show what I mean.

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
I added a countersunk screw in the first week of owning the bike. I did not have an issue with the kiox display falling off because I didn’t wait. For me it is a security issue.

Updates can be done without needing to remove the screw on the back of the display.

A link to a previous thread. Looks like many have added the screw?

Dashfield

May 11, 2021
Bristol, UK
This is what I mean, although I can see a screw would also work well.

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've used a Garmin lanyard for now. It's elasticated and you can hardly see it. Can't decide which will be best however, the lanyard or screw. The advantage of the lanyard is that it's easy to remove the unit.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I use a lanyard, so I can more easily remove the kiox from the bike when washing it.

You need to be a bit careful with the kiox to ensure that no water gets in the USB port, ie make sure that the crappy rubber cover is properly closed all the time.

I have taped my cover shut, and I remove the kiox from the bike when washing, because I broke one kiox by getting moisture in it.

Ian986

Apr 21, 2021
Surrey
I used to use the lanyard solution ...

View attachment 68642

... I now proselytize for securing it with the screw mount.
Damm:

I am getting a kiox fitted next week and I was not aware that this was an issue of them falling off. The shop said that I should screw it on, but one of the benefits of having this was the immobilisation of the bike when not on the bike.

I thought it might fall off if you are Auditioning for Red Bull Rampage, But looking at this has got me slightly worried maybe should just stick with my Purion.

Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
Damm:

I am getting a kiox fitted next week and I was not aware that this was an issue of them falling off. The shop said that I should screw it on, but one of the benefits of having this was the immobilisation of the bike when not on the bike.

I thought it might fall off if you are Auditioning for Red Bull Rampage, But looking at this has got me slightly worried maybe should just stick with my Purion.

just use a lanyard, that way you can remove it when needed but it won’t get too damaged in a crash.

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to attach a lanyard. Only had my Cube 160 with kiox display for a month and I've already had it pop of twice. (light falls, nothing serious) Fortunately the display is still sound. The magnet is strong until its not. I prefer the lanyard idea to screw as I think if it pops off it's less likely to break.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I use the Lanyard. I want to be able to remove the Kiox for security / Washing / traveling with the bike on the carrier in a rain storm.
I have knocked it off a few times over the last few years, nearly always with my knee when I do something Stupid.
I posted a picture in the thread Kiox Hacks, tips and tricks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles