Bosch Gen 4 free wheel

Doddy

Jul 8, 2023
Bradford
Morning all.
I have a Bosch gen 4 motor , 1700 miles 2021, warranty has just run out and the free wheel is sometimes locked in, locked out, when you back rotate the pedals it is really lump, like the teeth in a standard hub, anyone else have a problem like this, is there a fix, heard spares are hard to come by, can anyone recommend a repair service.
Thanks Phil.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Morning all.
I have a Bosch gen 4 motor , 1700 miles 2021, warranty has just run out and the free wheel is sometimes locked in, locked out, when you back rotate the pedals it is really lump, like the teeth in a standard hub, anyone else have a problem like this, is there a fix, heard spares are hard to come by, can anyone recommend a repair service.
Thanks Phil.
If the issue is with the freehub in the back wheel, the chain will go slack on top (provided you have a derailleur system) If this is not happening, then as the others have said, it is probably motor related. This is a common issue on the Gen 4 because the crankshaft rusts and starts to become tight in the freewheel sleeve within the motor.
To check this: Remove the chain, hold the front chainring and turn the pedals backwards. The crank should be relatively free moving and a clear crisp ratchet sound should be heard.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Cranks on a Bosch gen 4 should spin backwards without moving the chainring/chain, so sounds motor related.

I'd take it to a Bosch service centre and let them send diagnostics off to Bosch. They might come good being just out of warranty...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles