Bosch CX Gen 4 Mileage/Reliability

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
Bought a new Race 625 with the CX..is it normal for the motor to make a noise? nothing alarming like a grinding or crunching. It's just got a noisier whirring noise than my previous Cube eMTB the preformance with Gen 3 65nm ..is it just 'a thing' the more powerful motor does?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Bought a new Race 625 with the CX..is it normal for the motor to make a noise? nothing alarming like a grinding or crunching. It's just got a noisier whirring noise than my previous Cube eMTB the preformance with Gen 3 65nm ..is it just 'a thing' the more powerful motor does?
Your previous one was probably a gen2 not a gen3 - the gen3 is more for commuter bikes.

The gen4 does have a whirr ... not sure if it gets quieter with time or you notice it less ? it's less intrusive than an e8000, but louder than a brose.

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
2021 Focus Jam2 6.9, motor in for replacement after 160km. Noisy from the first ride, eventually sounded terrible, only realised how noisy after being given a loan motor which was quieter and has more power. Still waiting on replacement and hopefully an explanation.
Mine Trek Rail Bosch motor - firstly getting error 500 several times during ride, drive unit cable replaced under warranty, currently after 1500km motor is noisy as hell, sent to dealer, waiting for reply... very disappointed on Bosch system

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Nearly 3000 miles on my stereo 140, Bosch CX, no problems at all.
It got a bit noisy around 6-700 miles but has quieted down now.
The Mrs' Trek rail 5 is around 1000 fautless miles, and went through the same noisy period but is also quieter now.

chrisQ

Apr 22, 2021
Belgium
i do have 3200 km on my Bosch gen 4 on a Cube stereo 120. Did not get a single fault code yet (fingers crossed).
On my former cube hardtail with the gen2 i had after ~1000 km occasionally fault codes mostly related to battery connections.
I do find this gen4 motor much more noisy (whining) then the former gen2. It does not get quieter in time.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
My 2020 Trek Rail when into the shop a couple of week before Christmas, with error code 530, they run diagnostics and when I collected it, a week later, they fitted new controller, new battery lead, new motor,( motor No3) 🤨but said they may be an issue with the speed sensor, which is a Trek item, not Bosch, not in stock till end of January 2022 ?? 🤷‍♂️, saying that I took the bike home and it rode fine , did about 130 miles, error 500 showed it’s face! Intermittent shutdown powered off and back on, it’s now back in the shop for a dose of looking at, bike shop been A1, but it seems the UK climate isn’t proving kind on the Bosch Gen 4👎👎👎👎👎

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
My 2020 Trek Rail when into the shop a couple of week before Christmas, with error code 530, they run diagnostics and when I collected it, a week later, they fitted new controller, new battery lead, new motor,( motor No3) 🤨but said they may be an issue with the speed sensor, which is a Trek item, not Bosch, not in stock till end of January 2022 ?? 🤷‍♂️, saying that I took the bike home and it rode fine , did about 130 miles, error 500 showed it’s face! Intermittent shutdown powered off and back on, it’s now back in the shop for a dose of looking at, bike shop been A1, but it seems the UK climate isn’t proving kind on the Bosch Gen 4👎👎👎👎👎
No it’s not looking good. Well done on having such a decent LbS I can’t find a good Trek dealer locally. Mines sat with a Specialized dealer…albeit a Bosch service centre as well. Can’t even get hold of anyone at Trek U.K. unless I call, which is tough during work hours. I bought the bike (which was the only Rail available in the country at the time from Team cycles in Gateshead….a 500mile round trip away. I wish now I had listened to my mate and paid more for a Levo. I will never by another Trek, the brand name and dealer network count for nothing…

davidjmilli

Nov 20, 2020
Dudley
Experienced my first issue with my 3500 mile old stereo 160 this week. Coming back down from the top at Llandegla a creak began on pedal strokes. After a strip down I found the 2 screws securing one of the mount plates to the motor had come loose. So 3000 over mostly hash terrain and the only issue beyond consumables being 2 screws have come loose. I’d call that pretty good Reliability for myself.

Shame couldn’t be said about availability of service info for Cube Bikes, there site gives details of bearing kits and there torque settings only, noting for motor mounts.
Ended up getting LBS to call CUBE service department as they couldn’t find anything in their service manuals.

6NM for the screws into the motor and 11NM for the Frame (carbon) bolts, if you need them.

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
Mine Trek Rail Bosch motor - firstly getting error 500 several times during ride, drive unit cable replaced under warranty, currently after 1500km motor is noisy as hell, sent to dealer, waiting for reply... very disappointed on Bosch system

retrieved reply from dealer - new motor is on the way, so waited 2 months for new cable between motor and battery which was somehow broken, than waiting another 2 months for new motor. bike should come this week from dealer, hopefully new motor will last longer than this one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles