Bosch battery compatibility

Andydiaz

May 15, 2020
Uk
Hey guys, my pal has a Haibike Allmtn 3.0 2019 running Bosch with a 500wh in tube battery. I want to get a ebike with battery compatibility so we can loan each other batteries if we are going for a long one. I am looking at 2020 Haibike Allmtn 3.0 but it has a 625wh Bosch battery. Are they interchangeable?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Assuming that they are interchangeable, and assuming he has 500Whr, and you get the bike with 625whr, I am interested in how you see this working.
Is one of you planning to have a spare battery and you both travel side by side? In which case if you have the spare, you will always be lending your spare to him when he runs out. But if he buys the spare and not you, he will already be using his spare by the time you run out. :(

If you both have a spare, same problem.
This lending batteries thing only works if you ride on different days and the one riding needs a spare battery and wants to take it with them.

Then there are emergencies. "My charger has just failed, and I'm promised tomorrow, can you......?"

Fair do's, why not have compatible batteries? There is a chance it will work to the favour of the unlucky one. But if you don't have compatible batteries, one of you may be unlucky one day.

I would not compromise my bike choice on the off chance that one day I might be able to borrow a battery if my mate wasn't using it.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
I don`t know about the comparability between the 500wh and 625wh but i would thinks it highly unlikely the battery's are the same size, but the maths would indicate some cunning battery use is required.

Assuming the spare is 500wh, this gives your friend 1000wh, vs your 625wh.

So when his 500wh is 60% (300wh) depleted he needs to swap to the new battery, saving the remaining 200wh for you, assuming you are depleting at the same rate he now has a full 500wh battery, you are at 325wh (625wh - 300wh).

Adding his 200 to your 325 gives you 525 as a new total.

You will have enough left to eco back to the car park whilst he walks, :giggle:

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I believe the 500 and 625 powertube type batteries are interchangeable as the 500 has a spacer to make it the same length as the 625.
The problem is the powertube batteries usually incorporate a section of the bikes downtube that will make it incompatible with anything other than the same frame type. You can take it apart and attach to your frame but I doubt you'll want to do it trailside.

Andydiaz

May 15, 2020
Uk
Cheers guys some interesting points. To clarify my intention, he has 2x 500wh batteries so there are two possibilities;

- one of us goes out on our own for a mega ride with all 3 and 1625wh capacity and smash the whole ride in turbo with a massive grin.

- we both go together. My pal starts on 500wh. I start on the 625 and use half then take it out and replace with spare 500. My pal uses up his 500 then the remaining half of 625. We both have a full 500 and half of a 625. Enough for a decent ride.

since I see the biggest limitation of ebikes is battery capacity and since spare batteries are expensive, it seems to me that this should be a major deciding factor in which bike I choose, even to the point of making slight compromises elsewhere.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just buy a Focus Jam2 with the 378Whr in the frame and the 378Whr TEC pack tat can clip onto the frame. That will give you a clean looking bike that weighs light for short rides and a massive 756Whr for those more epic rides.

Jay355

Apr 10, 2020
East Anglia
Cheers guys some interesting points. To clarify my intention, he has 2x 500wh batteries so there are two possibilities;

- one of us goes out on our own for a mega ride with all 3 and 1625wh capacity and smash the whole ride in turbo with a massive grin.

- we both go together. My pal starts on 500wh. I start on the 625 and use half then take it out and replace with spare 500. My pal uses up his 500 then the remaining half of 625. We both have a full 500 and half of a 625. Enough for a decent ride.

since I see the biggest limitation of ebikes is battery capacity and since spare batteries are expensive, it seems to me that this should be a major deciding factor in which bike I choose, even to the point of making slight compromises elsewhere.
I have a new Haibike Allmtn 3.5 2020, it does have the capability of a range extender. As this is my first ebike i was concerned about battery longevity and had been initially looking at the focus because of the TEC pack but the battery life hasn't yet been an issue but if it was its nice to know its future proof.
I done 30 miles yesterday on flat country lanes in Tour mode and used 1 bar, the remaining Range was 51 miles when i got home.

Errol1098

Jul 8, 2018
Sydney Australia
I have a 625 and my wife has a 500 in her bike. They are different lengths and you can't simply just slot a different size in as the mountings are closer together on the 500 - on our bikes at least. I don't doubt i could convert hers to take the 625 but it's not something we could do halfway through a ride.

Andydiaz

May 15, 2020
Uk
I have a 625 and my wife has a 500 in her bike. They are different lengths and you can't simply just slot a different size in as the mountings are closer together on the 500 - on our bikes at least. I don't doubt i could convert hers to take the 625 but it's not something we could do halfway through a ride.
Really helpful thanks

Buzz720

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
My wife and i both have power tube 500wh. Was want to use hers as a spare when she goes away : ) looks like i will need to change the position on the plug 90degrees so it will fit my bike. Has anyone done this? Change the position of the socket on the battery?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles