Bosch ABS demonstrated on EMBN

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Another rotor, another sensor …I don’t know??
I switched over to Mt7’s a while ago which gave me a better feel for this rooty or rocky tight turns. Maybe this is the answer but for now I’m pretty happy with the hydraulic modulated mt7’s. I could see where this could be an advantage in wet conditions on roots and rocks.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
No. In all dirt racing and track racing you need the wheels to lock up on demand.

you can still stop a car faster with out ABS brakes than with. It’s just that the common society are not skilled drivers so they place them on cars for the masses.

if you ride off-road and want ABS that says you’re a Sunday driver. Which is fine, We all need sheep so the wolves and sheep dogs can compete.
That 🔝🔝

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
No. In all dirt racing and track racing you need the wheels to lock up on demand.

you can still stop a car faster with out ABS brakes than with. It’s just that the common society are not skilled drivers so they place them on cars for the masses.

if you ride off-road and want ABS that says you’re a Sunday driver. Which is fine, We all need sheep so the wolves and sheep dogs can compete.
yep that - I absolutely do not want ABS on my mtb

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK

Wow what an arrogant reply

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
ABS Always Be Steering as someone preach to me. ABS takes longer to stop but retains steering control.

I had a track car on semi slicks I missed ABS on public damp winter roads. Never missed it only rally car even on ice I do have a brake bias adjust and far less likely to encounter something in your way. Couldn't imagine needing it on my bike off road its rare to do a full stop plus you have independent front and rear braking. I could see a case for commuters preventing wash out on greasy roads.

ABS could lead onto traction control. That would be interesting for emtb for micro-interventions to keep the rear wheel skipping giving maxim power possible on a climb.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
In all dirt racing and track racing you need the wheels to lock up on demand.

I'm neither a dirt racer or a track racer, and frankly, I'm not really sure what a dirt racer is. More so, you'll never see me doing backflips (on purpose), or dropping in at Redbull Rampage. But even at my admittedly unprofessional level, I sometimes use brake-skidding to influence orientation. Maybe they would be beneficial to me, but before I jump on the ABS Bandwagon, I'll have to see these contraptions on the trails... as they're pulling away from me.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Isnt this kind of introduced to do more with ebikes on the road, rather than off road.

PS the vid is the biggest bunch of hokum ive seen this year.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
absolutely of no use on a 4x4 offroad so why would it be of any use on an off road bike, if your riding on summer marbles no amount of abs is gonna help.

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
It's of limited use off tarmac, and forgetting to turn off abs completely before a steep loose decent can lead to some serious brown trouser moments, and this is on a decent trail bike, Husq 701, with a relatively good abs system. I've seen people completely out of control down hill because of abs, they couldn't even lock a wheel to slide off intentionally.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Lots of negative comments here.
I would consider Steve to be a pretty competent rider, and he seemed to be pretty impressed with it. (In the Eurobike video he mentioned how good it was).
I can see that if you can keep your weight more forward over the front wheel when braking, this will have a positive effect on steering and brake effectiveness.
The only thing I can see against it is the number of extra tubes and cables that can get caught / broken and more electronics that can go wrong.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Why don't they make it remote like the actual expensive derailleurs and dropper posts ?
People would beg for it, front and rear :)

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
We don't see ABS on dirt motorcycles, yet there is the dual sport adventure bike segment that uses it extensively. The systems also allow T/C to be combined with ABS. That said, the level of added complexity is significant. It's not that difficult to figure out yet the manufactures such as Bosch haven't given us even the option to use diagnostic tools to do our own DIY service work.

Our eMTB's have more in common with a traditional dirt bike or analog MTB. Don't see this catching on too quick IMHO but never say never.

Digital

May 2, 2022
Penticton, BC
Facts and shit talking. That’s what I do. i thought only millennials are sensitive with their feelings. 🤷

Actually, you come across as loud and annoying (and I'm Gen-X). Here are some "Facts" for you: ABS vs. Non-ABS (on motorcycles) - https://msf-usa.org/downloads/imsc2006/Green-Comparison_of_Stopping_Distance-Paper.pdf The same goes for cars and trucks, but I felt that a motorcycle comparison is more relevant to us though. (FYI: cars and trucks: https://www.icbc.com/partners/driver-training/Documents/ts274w.pdf)

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
We don't see ABS on dirt motorcycles,

You're right, because you said it yourself...

the level of added complexity is significant

Crossers need to be as light and complex free as possible. And as you also quite rightly say, dual sport road bikes like the BMW R1200 do have it, and it's a brilliant system, combining ABS and TCS as well as wheelie control. 99.9% of riders would benefit. Crosser riders, being infinitely more skilled in general, don't need or in fact want such assistance. I don't doubt that the elite MTB riders would say the same, but for us mere mortals I would happily admit that I could ride faster and safer with electronic aids.

maynard

Lots of negative comments here.
I would consider Steve to be a pretty competent rider, and he seemed to be pretty impressed with it. (In the Eurobike video he mentioned how good it was).
I can see that if you can keep your weight more forward over the front wheel when braking, this will have a positive effect on steering and brake effectiveness.
The only thing I can see against it is the number of extra tubes and cables that can get caught / broken and more electronics that can go wrong.
Steve will Like anything he is paid to like. Good luck to him . He is quite charming .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles