ABS

gtfreight

Apr 17, 2024
GB
I am looking at buying my first e mountain bike and have seen one advertised with ABS. I have researched the forum and the last post was in 2022 and the verdict was mixed at that point. I'm a 60 year old and wouldn't say that my braking skills are any better than average on mixed terrain.
Has ABS come on in the last 18 months and Is it a gimmick or a worthwhile add-on?
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Dang...I've worked part time at a bike shop for quite a few years as a mechanic, and I never heard about ABS on an emtb. I'm a motorcycle guy too, and of course that's been around on them for quite a while. Obviously I don't know everything...LOL!...an obvious confession, and I don't know all the stuff the cool kids know. However, even spending some time on forums like these, I guess I missed seeing it mentioned.

We sell Trek, Specialized, and Santa Cruz where I worked, and if someone was going to have ABS, I'd think one of the biggies would have introduced it...you know...for the safety of the children and such. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not an anti-ABS guy especially when it comes to street production automotive applications, and lots of folks like it on their motorcycles. I personally looked for the street model of the motorcycle I bought last in a non-ABS model, but that's just me. And I can't see a real dirt motorcycle for real off road use using ABS, but I can see ABS being somewhat useful for the dirt adventure class bikes like the Yamaha T700 and such...with the ability to temporarily cancel when conditions change.

So with emtb's being more like an off road motorcycle application...for the most part...I can kind of see why this hasn't taken off in a big way. And while our mtb/emtb hydro brakes have gotten really good, I don't see them as the power house I have on my dirt or street motorcycles. The comments on this issue should be interesting...and...as always...maybe preference will play a big part.

gtfreight

Apr 17, 2024
GB
Well,

I've gone and bought it!
I have a friend with the none ABS model and this was a similar price. It should be delivered by the end of next week so once it's put together and I've been on my first ride I'll let you know my thoughts. 😊

Screenshot_20240427_162210_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240427_162200_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
Hi , well you wont be disappointed! I bought the same bike 3 weeks ago from my lbs, and it's a belter, I'm 56 so no spring chicken, but kept fit and able with my Whyte 905 hardtail but fancied this bike as soon as I rode one on rest, well this beast is a total game changer!! ABS is no gimmick as you'll find out, you won't believe how late you can brake into corners even on loose gravel , no slide no lock up it just grips! I'm very impressed with it , it does everything so well, climbs unbelievably, descend as fast as you dare and v easy to set up how you like. I'm regularly doing 60+ km rides on one charge but am seriously thinking of getting another battery as I want to keep on going!! Let us know how you get on and feel free to give me a shout if you need any advice on set up etc. enjoy😁

1713733584559.jpg 1713733584563.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is the first 100% positive review of ABS on an mtb that I have seen. I'm glad you posted before me as I was about to post a "don't bother" based upon the so-so reviews I had read to date. I would have made clear that I have not ridden an ABS mtb.

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
That is the first 100% positive review of ABS on an mtb that I have seen. I'm glad you posted before me as I was about to post a "don't bother" based upon the so-so reviews I had read to date. I would have made clear that I have not ridden an ABS mtb.
Hi Steve, it's like everything else I guess it's not for everyone but I find the ABS gives me a huge dose of confidence on the trails I ride( mainly rocky gravel mountain routes single and double track with steep up and down hills). ABS has certainly kicked in many times and now I'm used to it , which does take a while , I find I can brake in places where I shouldn't really be able to, it leaves me to concentrate on other aspects of my riding. The only issue I've found is once you get used to it you have to be v v careful getting back on a non ABS bike( I got the scars to prove it) lol.
I agree it won't suit everyone but then again if you don't like it or get on with it you can switch it off with the app.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Hi Steve, it's like everything else I guess it's not for everyone but I find the ABS gives me a huge dose of confidence on the trails I ride( mainly rocky gravel mountain routes single and double track with steep up and down hills). ABS has certainly kicked in many times and now I'm used to it , which does take a while , I find I can brake in places where I shouldn't really be able to, it leaves me to concentrate on other aspects of my riding. The only issue I've found is once you get used to it you have to be v v careful getting back on a non ABS bike( I got the scars to prove it) lol.
I agree it won't suit everyone but then again if you don't like it or get on with it you can switch it off with the app.
Is it ABS on both wheels or only front?

gtfreight

Apr 17, 2024
GB
Hi , well you wont be disappointed! I bought the same bike 3 weeks ago from my lbs, and it's a belter, I'm 56 so no spring chicken, but kept fit and able with my Whyte 905 hardtail but fancied this bike as soon as I rode one on rest, well this beast is a total game changer!! ABS is no gimmick as you'll find out, you won't believe how late you can brake into corners even on loose gravel , no slide no lock up it just grips! I'm very impressed with it , it does everything so well, climbs unbelievably, descend as fast as you dare and v easy to set up how you like. I'm regularly doing 60+ km rides on one charge but am seriously thinking of getting another battery as I want to keep on going!! Let us know how you get on and feel free to give me a shout if you need any advice on set up etc. enjoy😁

View attachment 139347 View attachment 139348
Thanks for posting. I was a little unsure if I'd made the right decision but your words have made me feel better. I can't wait to get out and try it.

gtfreight

Apr 17, 2024
GB
Crikey, when I saw the box I thought they'd delivered a Penny Farthing (you can see my road bike above the box)!
All opened up now and perfect barring a frayed rear mech cable which the shop told me to get fixed and they will reimburse me.
I have only had a little ride around the block but it's fantastic. I think I'm going to get used to electric assistance very soon.😊

20240504_143911.jpg 20240505_071549.jpg 20240504_160501.jpg

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
Crikey, when I saw the box I thought they'd delivered a Penny Farthing (you can see my road bike above the box!
All opened up now and perfect barring a frayed rear mech cable which the shop told me to get fixed and they will reimburse me.
I have only had a little ride around the block but it's fantastic. I think I'm going to get used to electric assistance very soon.😊

View attachment 139774 View attachment 139775 View attachment 139776
Oh yes , it opens up a whole new load of routes you thought would be impossible, honestly The gradients you can scale on these Emtb's mean nothing's really off limits. Just learned today that it has walk assist and hill hold too !! So even when I fall off half way up it helps you lug it to the top without rolling back down !!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles