Fuel EXe Bontrager Elite dropper post return season slow

Arctic318

Sep 25, 2023
USA
Just bought a fuel exe 9.8 xt. I’ve searched and ready many posts but no luck. My bontrager elite dropper post returns very slow compared to PNW and FOX that I’ve had before. I’ve adjusted the tension, added slick honey to dropper and still very slow (2-3 seconds to get seat back to height). Is this normal for bontrager or suggestions? I’m hoping to avoid rebuild as I’ve had the bike 2 weeks.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Some Bontrager droppers may not be the best but they generally work well.

Ensure the cabling and sheathing is not pinched or kinked. Do not over torque the seat post clamp. Using assembly grease can slightly reduce the torque required for securing a dropper into a seat post. Is the dropper controller working freely? Is the controller adjusted properly?

There’s a few things you can easily do before you determine that the dropper is faulty.

Arctic318

Sep 25, 2023
USA
Some Bontrager droppers may not be the best but they generally work well.

Ensure the cabling and sheathing is not pinched or kinked. Do not over torque the seat post clamp. Using assembly grease can slightly reduce the torque required for securing a dropper into a seat post. Is the dropper controller working freely? Is the controller adjusted properly?

There’s a few things you can easily do before you determine that the dropper is faulty.
I’ll look at all this. Lever is moving freely and even after adjusting tension no improvement

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If it’s not the lever or cable tension you may need to remove the dropper. This will give you the ability to ensure the cable is operating freely or the dropper operates properly when you manually activate the dropper (without the cable).

If the bike is still under warranty the LBS may drop the motor and search for any binding, pinched, or a poorly installed cable.

FWIW, most of us have replaced the original Bontrager dropper with various manufacturers and/or lengths.

Arctic318

Sep 25, 2023
USA
If it’s not the lever or cable tension you may need to remove the dropper. This will give you the ability to ensure the cable is operating freely or the dropper operates properly when you manually activate the dropper (without the cable).

If the bike is still under warranty the LBS may drop the motor and search for any binding, pinched, or a poorly installed cable.

FWIW, most of us have replaced the original Bontrager dropper with various manufacturers and/or lengths.
I replaced anything bontrager on my fuel Ex8 and will replace the dropper on my new bike asap. I’ll take it to LBS to look at as its torqued to spec and other suggestion y’all said.

wdonegan

Aug 1, 2022
USA
My experience seems to be different from that of others. I’ve been happy enough with the dropper that came on my 9.8 that I haven’t replaced it yet. Has been bomber so far.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles