BMS reset

jonasdig

May 18, 2020
Norway
Hi, I have a BT-E8010 battery with dead BMS. The cells are verified ok. Is there a way to reset the BMS? I can only find how to do it on other manufacturers BMS. Another option is to replace the BMS. I am afraid that my soldering skills isn't good enough and I haven't found any info on replacing the BMS.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Try a battery reset. Fully charge battery, remove it from bike, press and hold power button until all the lights go out then put it back on the bike and on charge.

jonasdig

May 18, 2020
Norway
The battery is fully charged, but it won't deliver any power through the BMS to the bike. I can't get any lights on the battery and nothing happens when I press and hold the power button.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Are you sure that the problem is with the BMS? May be the charger is defective and the battery is at 0% charge, have you tried another charger?

jonasdig

May 18, 2020
Norway
Are you sure that the problem is with the BMS? May be the charger is defective and the battery is at 0% charge, have you tried another charger?
I have tried another charger and it didn't work. Opened the battery and measured individual cells. All are fully charged.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Then I do not know. In Spain there are some companies that replace cells in Shimano batteries, so may be there are similar companies in Norway.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
In another thread it was said another type of reset:" The eByke tech did start up, and then he quickly pushed the power button three times. He told me that was a re-set."

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I now have a similar situation. Was out on a ride today with 2 fully charged batteries. Charged them yesterday with no problems. While riding the first battery was ok, and when almost empty i wanted to change it out for the 2nd spare battery in my backpack. No luck, no lights would come on and there i was stranded miles from my destination. The first almost empty battery would still work a bit so drove that one until empty. Got a good workout for the rest of the trip!

So now that dead battery can no longer be charged. The charger is blinking, meaning an error.
Ive opened up the battery, measured all cells, all are nicely full, all connections to the BMS are ok, temp sensors operate ok (i can see the measurement periodically on my scope). The on/off button works ok (signal goes to the BMS board at least).
But it just wont turn on...

So how to reset the BMS?
Disconnect all cells, then reconnect, and hope it works again after that? Or would that make the situation even worse?

Im kinda bummed. Im in the middle of nowhere again for a couple of months so i would like to use this 2nd battery.
Im even considering just bypassing the BMS, but not sure if the bike and charger would like that... There seems to be some active communication going on between the Bike<->BMS, and Charger<->BMS.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Well ok, im kinda looking for an alternative solution while im on the road travelling ;)

So i measured a fuse that is surface mounted on the BMS. Its a FR-9550-30A:
(i kinda thougt it was an oscillator before, it looks like a typical SMD oscillator...)
The fuse is located in the path between the cells positive tab and the P-channel high side switches (which regulate power flow in and out of the battery)

So that fuse seems to be blown, or at least not showing full conductance. Now the weird part is, that fuse has an integrated heating element inside. Possibly to blow the fuse deliberately by the BMS itself. So now the question arises, did that fuse just accidently blew, or did the BMS blew the fuse deliberately? Im measuring some weird voltage fluctuations coming out of the fuse's primary contacts, but also the heater pin. Could the BMS be in a state actively trying to destroy the fuse? If so then im not sure this BMS is even repairable?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles