Resetting the maintenance reminder (wrench icon) on SC-EM800

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
This is either a total secret, or dealer only. The latter seems ridiculous. I'm at 250 miles, and the little wrench icon appears around 13 miles ago. I can't find a way to clear it. Google it, read the user docs and dealer docs, looked through all the menus, tried various button press and hold ideas, nothing. The user doc says "visit your dealer for maintenance." The dealer doc barely references it, and makes it sound like you can only clear it using the PC interface and software.

Any other ideas?

I should say that I actually do own the PC interface, but it's horribly unreliable and it can take ten attempts before it connects at all. Windows crap. This should be something you can do with buttons, like any service indicator in a car or motorcycle.

1676927725826.jpeg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
First thing I would do is fire up E-Tube and look at any existing faults. That might provide a clue. The second thing would be to fire up ST-Unlocker. It will also show you faults, but I'm not sure if you can clear them.

Last thing I can think of is to remove your battery, let the bike sit for a bit, and reinstall it. That might clear the fault. But if you clear it without knowing what it is, you'll never be able to spot if there is a pattern developing. There is a battery in your display, so maybe it will maintain the fault log. If that battery starts getting low, that that would be a problem that only the dealer can fix.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
This is not an error or warning. It is merely a maintenance minder. Think of it like a car's oil change reminder, not a check engine light. Battery removal for a day has done nothing. I've looked through the phone-based E-Tube app, and there are no errors, only the maintenance minder. In the E-Tube ride app, you have to acknowledge the reminder often, which is annoying.

I haven't done anything with the PC connector and E-Tube dealer app since it's always a huge pain in the ass. And 99% of end users don't own this, so the whole thing seems crazy to require a dealer app.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Recently had the wrench icon appear again on my Kiox for the 4-5th time. Visited the LBS to have them reset it. Imo the service intervals are too close for me. I said set the next one for 3000+kms. See ya later this year I said. Cost me nothing and they can’t service my bike. I do that.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I saw a reset procedure for the other Bosch displays, are you sure there isn't one for yours?

The interval on mine is too short, and too long. At 250 miles I will have done the basic services at least once anyway, our environment is harsh in some ways. But I won't be doing major services for a while.

I may have to fight the stupid Windows drivers again and see what I can set with the dealer app. Any day I'm forced to fire up a Windows machine is a bad day.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hmmm, never knew there was reset process available to me. I’ve got the old 2020 Kiox and app.

You’d think even the Shimano or other motors would have the ability to shut off the service wrench. Our warranty’s have expired.

2stroked

Dec 15, 2022
Nanaimo
This is either a total secret, or dealer only. The latter seems ridiculous. I'm at 250 miles, and the little wrench icon appears around 13 miles ago. I can't find a way to clear it. Google it, read the user docs and dealer docs, looked through all the menus, tried various button press and hold ideas, nothing. The user doc says "visit your dealer for maintenance." The dealer doc barely references it, and makes it sound like you can only clear it using the PC interface and software.

Any other ideas?

I should say that I actually do own the PC interface, but it's horribly unreliable and it can take ten attempts before it connects at all. Windows crap. This should be something you can do with buttons, like any service indicator in a car or motorcycle.

View attachment 107272
I have a linkage device and it took me awhile to figure it out, it’s in the settings tab, there is one option with the motor to change the profiles and another that has the maintenance reminder options, my EP801 has a range and date, I just turned them both off.
Shimano definitely doesn’t make it easy to figure out there systems, there website sends you in circles until you click something that gives you more information.
Nice bike by the way, I have the same one that came with DVO, swapped to a Zeb and then got a Alloy with Ohlins and swapped that out to my Zeb and got a Vivid and put the Ohlins on my carbon. I kept bottoming the Ohlins fork and couldn’t fix it.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for that. I think the worst thing about this happening is that it seems like it will basically eliminate the ability to get real warnings. I think (not sure) that the same indication is given for both real problems and just "clean and lube." Dumb.

Odd about bottoming the fork, what's your weight? In the time I owned it, I lost a bunch of weight, and now find it harsh on recommended settings. I am 175 (80kg) now. Yesterday I dropped it even more. I can't imaging bottoming it as long as the second air cylinder is aired up. Oh, and I find it nearly impossible to get that right; the chuck releases half the air on removal. Were you possibly running too low?

2stroked

Dec 15, 2022
Nanaimo
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for that. I think the worst thing about this happening is that it seems like it will basically eliminate the ability to get real warnings. I think (not sure) that the same indication is given for both real problems and just "clean and lube." Dumb.

Odd about bottoming the fork, what's your weight? In the time I owned it, I lost a bunch of weight, and now find it harsh on recommended settings. I am 175 (80kg) now. Yesterday I dropped it even more. I can't imaging bottoming it as long as the second air cylinder is aired up. Oh, and I find it nearly impossible to get that right; the chuck releases half the air on removal. Were you possibly running too low?
I’m 240-250 lbs I had 300lbs in the ramp up and whatever the air setting was for my weight, it was mainly on harsh transitions or shorting gaps. Ohlins suggested a piece of rubber tubing in the ramp up chamber. Put my Zeb on, never bottom it.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
That's interesting. It seems like maybe the Ohlins has a narrow "sweet spot?" The suggestions have columns for "pro" and "expert" but not "fat mortals." LOL

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles