Black Friday Nonsence!!

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Like a fool I spent time trawling though supposed Black Friday sales.............I should have known having worked in retail many years ago, that sales mostly consist of stock nobody wanted!

Well there are a few clothing bargains......especially if you are very big or very small but browsing through the CRC Black Friday sale there were a few "tactics" I found really annoying!

Thats a mega price.............except its out of stock
Thats a mega discount...........except it has never been at the supposed RRP in any outlet
That looks interesting........ah, only available in XXL pink!
Thats a good deal..........mmm, no wonder, look at the feedback!!
I came to that conclusion years ago. For the most part I immediately delete the season ending and holiday emails. It’s all leftover clearance stuff that nobody wants. If I like the apparel, it’s way too small or large. If my size, I don’t like the design/color, and neither did anyone else.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... sales mostly consist of stock nobody wanted ...

It is not only stock nobody wanted. It is also, perhaps more importantly, people simply deciding not to spend.

My guess is that what we're seeing now is nothing compared to the expected retail bloodbath after January New Year sales.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Personally, I only buy if it's the right item that want, and it really benefits from a better price, otherwise, I move on... (y)
Yes agree but some folks go crazy . I got boots 6 weeks ago in sale . I had a look in black Friday nonsense not seen them as cheap as I got them .

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
It’s true that there are some people who are compulsive buyers! 😁
But this year I just bought the Quad-lock support with -30%, and in the rest there was nothing interesting for me..

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I came to that conclusion years ago. For the most part I immediately delete the season ending and holiday emails. It’s all leftover clearance stuff that nobody wants. If I like the apparel, it’s way too small or large. If my size, I don’t like the design/color, and neither did anyone else.
well as an UK citizen, Black Friday/Cyber Monday are both something of a mystery!! They are US imports and since we do not celebrate Thanksgiving, somewhat meaningless! They only really started to appear in the UK about 10 years ago, and even now not every company bothers with it. So for me it is something of a novelty.........a waste of time novelty mostly!!

dumpy

Nov 11, 2023
usa
theres 3 kinds of black friday sales.
1) the scams. thats most of them (80%?). its basically the same price as a month ago, or more expensive but phrase it as if it was a saving. Know the price of what you buy. if its not higher than normal and you want it, can still be fine, though its definitely not "on sale". Not that stuff on amazon does this ALL year long. they regularly put the price up then discount it to yesterday's normal price. Same thing.

2) the once-a-year deals. some places have very specific stuff you cant find anywhere else and they have a once a year sale and that's black friday. so good deal there.

3) the actual good deals. these are rare and out of stock if you're too slow. good luck, it's too late.

At the end of the day unless its an item you've tracked for a while and it turns out to be a good deal during black friday, great, buy it. If not, it's just all made to make you think if you dont buy now you have to wait next year for sale. but dont worry, february will be cheap(er) than today, because its the empty season.

Levo-Lon

Jan 21, 2020
Uk
I got some lovely Hunt deep carbon wheels for my gravel bike..

£729..

In a recent Not to be missed super sale I could have got these for the amazing once in a blue moon price of £729...I know bloody marvellous..I missed out big time Ahh well maybe next time🤣🤣🤣

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I got some lovely Hunt deep carbon wheels for my gravel bike..

£729..

In a recent Not to be missed super sale I could have got these for the amazing once in a blue moon price of £729...I know bloody marvellous..I missed out big time Ahh well maybe next time🤣🤣🤣
I hear ya! I’ve had to put a moratorium on upgrades for a few more months (daughter got married in Whistler) so I missed out on the sales.

I’ll start up a new wish list in the spring.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I hear ya! I’ve had to put a moratorium on upgrades for a few more months (daughter got married in Whistler) so I missed out on the sales.

I’ll start up a new wish list in the spring.
I had to Google that M word im afraid. It's not in my Doric dictionary 🙄. Whistler mmm Fairmont Chateau no doubt. I only ever managed a soup and sandwich at their Portobello cafe , very nice it was too.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
. Whistler mmm Fairmont Chateau no doubt. I only ever managed a soup and sandwich at their Portobello cafe , very nice it was too.
We booked the Fairmont Chateau 2 years ago. Then Covid struck. Then pregnancy struck, but they kept our reservations for 2 years. It was opening weekend in Whistler too. Outside wedding at the golf lodge/course. It was friggen cold for about 20 minutes. Then party inside.

We’ll head back up when the snow melts for some emtb’ing.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
We booked the Fairmont Chateau 2 years ago. Then Covid struck. Then pregnancy struck, but they kept our reservations for 2 years. It was opening weekend in Whistler too. Outside wedding at the golf lodge/course. It was friggen cold for about 20 minutes. Then party inside.

We’ll head back up when the snow melts for some emtb’ing.
Always fancied the mtb there but you can't have everything . January last year the last time I was there its jumped up a lot the prices for skiing all over the world. The Irish Bar will be bouncing this weekend with Shane McGowan just passing away I imagine. RIP.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles