Black Friday Nonsence!!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Like a fool I spent time trawling though supposed Black Friday sales.............I should have known having worked in retail many years ago, that sales mostly consist of stock nobody wanted!

Well there are a few clothing bargains......especially if you are very big or very small but browsing through the CRC Black Friday sale there were a few "tactics" I found really annoying!

Thats a mega price.............except its out of stock
Thats a mega discount...........except it has never been at the supposed RRP in any outlet
That looks interesting........ah, only available in XXL pink!
Thats a good deal..........mmm, no wonder, look at the feedback!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Like a fool I spent time trawling though supposed Black Friday sales.............I should have known having worked in retail many years ago, that sales mostly consist of stock nobody wanted!

Well there are a few clothing bargains......especially if you are very big or very small but browsing through the CRC Black Friday sale there were a few "tactics" I found really annoying!

Thats a mega price.............except its out of stock
Thats a mega discount...........except it has never been at the supposed RRP in any outlet
That looks interesting........ah, only available in XXL pink!
Thats a good deal..........mmm, no wonder, look at the feedback!!
Black Friday is only a bargain if something you already want to purchase is reduced lower THAN IT WAS last month!

I have a couple of things that I want to buy… and I’m holding off until the weekend to see if they’re reduced. Most of these are not bike related… and most of them are Christmas / Birthday presents for my wife / mum / mother in-law to give ME… so I’m not sure why I’m even interested in getting them cheaper 😂😂😂

If they’re not on sale by Monday, I’ll be ordering them at their current price… but it’s stupid to buy anything just now just in case!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Yeah I wasnt going to buy anything but got an email from slam69 for 20% off everything!
New linkglide m5130 mech and shifter on route.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Waiting on an Apple IPad Air of a specific spec for my wife for Xmas. I've been tracking the price for a few weeks now and prices are slowly coming down. Amazon have just announced their Black Friday price. Now waiting until the actual day.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Don’t know much about the retail business but my wallet pumps the brakes now and then.

Black Friday seems to be “dumping day” or a tease for ‘out of stock’ stuff. The spd shoes by Shimano are suddenly not available. They’re the ones that I wanted. I’m gonna have to suffer with my old ones.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The latest "Which" report pretty much agrees with my observations.

mmcengineer

Jan 3, 2022
Sheffield
I like

This item is this price all year

We raise it to a few hundred before black friday sales so it looks pricey

Wowzers really an entire two hundred quid off what a great deal on sale day

Currys well known for it

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

jetskier973

Nov 9, 2023
Gardner, KS.
So am I about to be had on this brake setup?
This is on bikeINN, www..tradeinn.com

Screenshot_20231125-085934_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I don’t mean to be the grammar police, but please fix your title. Nonsense is misspelled. But I agree, the sales are nonsense.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I struggle after too werds in my tests so i appropriate da gamer poolice. 🤷‍♂️
The original post said something like “Nonsense is misspelled. You need to change it.”

Some people need to read the room and chill out.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I see you’ve edited that because you are the grammar police. This is an internet forum… not a school class. People misspell things all the time. Wise up! 🤷🏼‍♂️
😂 Um no, I edited because I added more to my original post. Why are you taking offense? You seem a little sensitive. Maybe chill in a safe space. 🤷🏻‍♂️ ✌🏻😂

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
😂 Um no, I edited because I added more to my original post. Why are you taking offense? You seem a little sensitive. Maybe chill in a safe space. 🤷🏻‍♂️ ✌🏻😂
You added more to your post as you came across like an arrogant tool, and tried to dial it back a bit by adding more to it to soften it.
I’m not taking offence (not offense btw 😂).
People who come on forums and tell people they’ve made spelling errors seriously need to get a grip.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You added more to your post as you came across like an arrogant tool, and tried to dial it back a bit by adding more to it to soften it.
I’m not taking offence (not offense btw 😂).
People who come on forums and tell people they’ve made spelling errors seriously need to get a grip.
Says a scotchman [sic] with a chip under his kilt
handbag.gif

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
I got in early and picked up a shed load of nukeproof bits .
Couple of headsets, riser bars , boost axles, saddles at stupid prices.
See me through to 25/6 .
Just hope the kids got the emails regarding cassettes and chains 😉

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
you have to ask the question why would the retail trade discount stock at a time which is the lead up to the busiest shopping period of the year.....Xmas? Sales were typically used to clear winter stock to make way for new season garments....and yes it was primarilly the rag trade. Other retail outlets joined in to take advantage of the greater footfall in the High Street largely selling discontinued lines. Now a significant proportion of sales of all sorts of goods is online rather than in the High Street so that rationale goes out the window. There is now no time during the year when there is not a supposed sale. All it means is that RRP is now and has been for some time, completely meaningless, and along with that, discount from RRP.
With the sort of bike kit most of us buy there is the typical marketing/pricing strategy of starting off with a high price because "early adopters" will pay what is asked to get the latest gear. Volume is low but margins are high. Eventually the "early adopter" segment dries up, so price is reduced in an attempt to reach a mass market ( hence a "sale"). Competition also plays a role in pricing. A competitor produces a similar product and in order to grab a market share, launches at a lower price. The original product probably has to match it..........so a price war.!

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Yea retail prices are insane.

I got a good deal on some icetech 203mm rotors for 24.90€ per piece, swissstop 27e brake pads for 10 € and some nobby nics superground bronze tires for 22 €.

that's more than 2x cheaper than if I had bought them locally

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Looking on CRC, Wiggle, and other stores
Wanted the Topeak D2 Smart gauge these companies were selling the thing from £27.00 upwards
I just had a look on Amazon and just purchased it £20.99 amazing
Don't make sense

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles