Chrisrobbs

Feb 6, 2023
Bristol
IMG_20230203_171019.jpg

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
Details of how the bike was secured and how it was stolen help others to update their own security practices. Terrible to see such a nice bike stolen.

Chrisrobbs

Feb 6, 2023
Bristol
Details of how the bike was secured and how it was stolen help others to update their own security practices. Terrible to see such a nice bike stolen.
Yes I repair and build ebikes as a regular thing this was my own bike locked in a secure shed and garden fence panels all around only mistake I made was leaving my work table by the fence so they used that to lift the bike over and they were very quick as I was in the kitchen so not set the alarms also camera updates at midnight so just before typical Iam so annoyed and I will get the bike back eventually

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
It does seem like the UK is worse, but even here in Australia you can go 30 years without being hit or your place can be burgled twice in the same week, you just never know. My security has been beefed up as a result of reading this forum
- bike chained to floor, garage locked, no tools in the garage that can be used for cutting, alarm system and a noisy dog :) (the dog is rewarded for her service by accompanying me on rides through the forest)

locks.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I've always advocated ground anchors and high quality chains/locks, I have 2 anchors split between 4 bikes. The bikes in turn are then also locked to each other and then my bike also has a further (albeit lower quality) lock between the forks and the frame of the next bike as well so 7 locks in total as well a motion alarm on mine which is as loud as hell. Of course any lock can be picked (attacking the anchors would be futile-they are as strong as an ox and can't be undone) but all I can do is hope that a scumbag would simply move on to an easier target.

Dogs that bark at unknown noises are by far the best deterrent though if your bike is stored within earshot - in 12 years of frontline policing I went to many, many burglaries but none where a loud dog resided...make of that what you will.

CCTV is also largely useless, most have terrible quality especially in the dark and the vast majority of scumbags cover enough of their face to make it pointless. Even if it catches a car/van reg the motor is usually nicked/on false plates or registered to someone who can't be traced. It can of course maybe give you a a time of theft to assist with house to house enquires but how many of your neighbours would be up, looking out the window at 3am and further be able to identify some dark clothed vermin with covered faces.

Unfortunately it's what we have to deal with and we all (including myself) can get complacent so just keep on top of yourself. I made a rule when I got my ebike that it wasn't getting left anywhere unlocked, many a time I have been out and thought about popping into a small shop for a can of coke which I know would take about 1 minute and could see outside the front of the shop but I just won't do it unless I have carried a decent lock with me (which is rare). I would never enter a big store even with the bike locked given a toe-rag can get though a lock in less then 2 minutes with a grinder and as we have seen, the general public will very rarely jump in for someone elses bike (and I can't honestly blame them) although I would, best time being at the point of them just setting off, largely due to having been a victim of bike theft myself previously.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It does seem like the UK is worse, but even here in Australia you can go 30 years without being hit or your place can be burgled twice in the same week, you just never know. My security has been beefed up as a result of reading this forum
- bike chained to floor, garage locked, no tools in the garage that can be used for cutting, alarm system and a noisy dog :) (the dog is rewarded for her service by accompanying me on rides through the forest)

View attachment 106614
I got an Orange Aluminium Elite stolen maybe 1990. It was a £1000 bike back then but I was lucky got full amount from insurance company. Never found out who took it had a good idea though .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The chain locks seem to faffy for lasy me . I pray a scum bag never finds my bike . Cos it would be easy . My dog acts very vicious but if u walk in confident she just backs off.
I put four 🔐 locks on mine in the shed sometimes and always remove battery. Then next time I forget and don't even lock the shed . Then went in to hills last summer and just left it lying in the Heather looked back after a while and could see the sun glinting off of it . Still there 6 hours later so still honest people out there.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I put four 🔐 locks on mine in the shed sometimes and always remove battery. Then next time I forget and don't even lock the shed . Then went in to hills last summer and just left it lying in the Heather looked back after a while and could see the sun glinting off of it . Still there 6 hours later so still honest people out there.
Probably took one look and honestly thought didn't want a shit bike like that. Maybe. ;)

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York

View attachment 106614
I know it's after the fact but as others have mentioned to take security measures. I use an Apple Air tag, have my bike chained with heavy chain to my gas meter pipes even sitting in my basement. Insurance is the cheapest thing you can buy. I just sold a Giant Ebike and it was $84 a year for the annual premium. I think my current $6700 ebike is around $132. If your shed is sitting on dirt than dig a hole and fill it with cement and imbed an anchor as the poster above is showing. No cutting tools in shed is a great idea. Chances are your bike was stolen by a neighbor, their kids or friends of their kids mostly to sell it or chop it and buy drugs . They see you riding around on a pricey ebike and then park it in "a shed"! I also have an alarm system and an extra camera trained on my ebike in the basement. Sorry for your loss . . . that sucks. In some countires they chop the hand off of thieves after they catch them. I'd be OK with that form of stolen bike justice 😜

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles