• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Bike Sat nav

pedrod355

Jan 24, 2021
UK
Am looking for a sat nav for my ebike, currently use my iphone with a download OS map but a pain taking in/out of pocket and don’t want it fixed on handlebars,

Is there a Garmin or similar device that i can download maps onto?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have a Garmin Edge 840, which is a bit like a bike Sat Nav.
Prior to that, I've had the Edge 830, 820, 810 and 800! They all do the same thing though - just more gimmicks and features on the newer models... and I'm a sucker for gadgets. My 840 has a solar face that charges it about 2% over a 2 hour ride in the glaring sunshine... much the same as plugging it into a USB socket for 2 mins 😂

The 830 and 840 have Trailforks integration... so you can map out routes on the Trailforks app / website, and then download them on the Garmin. You can then follow them on your bike with the Garmin, and iIt will pop up with prompts like your car would... "in 200 yards, turn left". Great for going round trails you've never been to before - as you can plan a route including the runs you like the look of - and back to the car without getting lost!
It also has streetmaps on it, so I could type in a destination and it would navigate me there.

I believe Wahoo make a similar device - the Elemnt.
I've always stuck with Garmin though as I've been in their ecosystem for a long time now, and have purchased several golf GPS devices / watches, fitness tracker, heart rate monitors, topography maps etc.

pedrod355

Jan 24, 2021
UK
I have a Garmin Edge 840, which is a bit like a bike Sat Nav.
Prior to that, I've had the Edge 830, 820, 810 and 800! They all do the same thing though - just more gimmicks and features on the newer models... and I'm a sucker for gadgets. My 840 has a solar face that charges it about 2% over a 2 hour ride in the glaring sunshine... much the same as plugging it into a USB socket for 2 mins 😂

The 830 and 840 have Trailforks integration... so you can map out routes on the Trailforks app / website, and then download them on the Garmin. You can then follow them on your bike with the Garmin, and iIt will pop up with prompts like your car would... "in 200 yards, turn left". Great for going round trails you've never been to before - as you can plan a route including the runs you like the look of - and back to the car without getting lost!
It also has streetmaps on it, so I could type in a destination and it would navigate me there.

I believe Wahoo make a similar device - the Elemnt.
I've always stuck with Garmin though as I've been in their ecosystem for a long time now, and have purchased several golf GPS devices / watches, fitness tracker, heart rate monitors, topography maps etc.
Excellent, Thanks info gives me something to go on. Not really needing all the extras just something that will show maps.

Al-ec

Subscriber
Mar 4, 2024
West Wales
Used to use a SatMap for multi-day bike packing which was great for navigation, but the company gave up the ghost.
Use the Garmin eTrex for navigation / bike packing (loaded with full OS maps) which works OK for that, but not as good as the Edge for cycling data gathering.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles