• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Any watch that works great with navigation

asmar

Mar 7, 2020
Crete, Greece
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a watch instead of a normal GPS unit that it can handle route navigation.

What I want is to load a .gpx file and then into the watch just display an arrow with the direction, meters to turn etc. Something like the Kommot is doing on smartphones but in a watch instead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
I use a Garmin Fenix 2 as they are old model but new ones are cheap on eBay, often bundled with a heart rate monitor you can sell which netted out £100. You set the scale to what you want displayed and can align display to North or heading. No spoken instructions. Battery lasts at least a day full use. Waterproof to 100m proven by I also record windsurfing runs. Newer Garmin are more functional but pricier

asmar

Mar 7, 2020
Crete, Greece
Thanks for the replies. I tried so far the Suunto Ambit Peak 3. It is ok but difficult to navigate as you can't zoom (scale) manually and in many cases it is confusing where to go quickly. I guess from both of your posts the Fenix can scale so easier to navigate.

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
Definitely the Fenix. Maybe I should sell my old ones since I have a 3 and 5 laying unused and only use my 6 nowadays. Awesome watch, can upload and very dependable in quickly finding your location.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
I have the Fenix 6x and love it but if its purely for using on your bike I would go with one of the bike specific garmins. The watch isn't ideal when you're hurtling down a trail and need to check when to make a turn. I use my watch in conjunction with komoot on my phone mounted to handlebars with quad lock. I went for the watch as I can use it for other exercise, hiking etc.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I have a Garmin Fenix 6x as well and concur with @Stuart569. Taking your hands off the bars to look at the watch can be particularly dodgy. However the Fenix 6x is excellent, especially with the "Ebike Field - Nerd Style" data field plugin which pulls data from your bike such as mode, cadence, battery remaining etc.

You might be better off with a cheap rugged Android smartphone running BLevo or another mapping app like Trailforks. I usually have Blevo running on my phone on the bars, and my Fenix also capturing the ride in parallel.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a watch instead of a normal GPS unit that it can handle route navigation.

What I want is to load a .gpx file and then into the watch just display an arrow with the direction, meters to turn etc. Something like the Kommot is doing on smartphones but in a watch instead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2794.jpg

Komoot is of course already doing that on the Apple Watch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles