• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Anyone fitted a gps tracker?

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Anyone any experience with a gps tracker? Any feedback on whether they work or not? What brand etc. I'm on an aluminium frame so curious to know if a tracker is effective?

Cheers

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
If the purpose is to track your bike if it gets stolen - it's a very good idea.

The problem is to hide it, so it has to be very small.
It can be hidden in different places, and some makes holders to do so.

AirTag or similar devices are most obvious.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Using the forum's search option (magnifying glass symbol top right) should bring you to quite a few discussions about this topic - people seem to have come up with various options and results! 😀👍

Dannage

May 28, 2022
UK
Air tags are not GPS! They have limited tracking distance.

I looked at fitting a GPS tracker to the battery of the bike when I got it but decided that insurance and a lock are the better idea. It's never left alone except when locked up at home.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As I understand it, and I could well be mistaken, a problem with Airtags is that they can be remotely detected at distance thus providing an indication that there might be something worth stealing at the Airtag location.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As I understand it, and I could well be mistaken, a problem with Airtags is that they can be remotely detected at distance thus providing an indication that there might be something worth stealing at the Airtag location.

Best stick to what you DO know.

Then please be kind enough to correct me. Thanks.

Macworld said:
Because AirTag regularly emits Bluetooth signals that Apple devices can pick up, you can use a simple Bluetooth tracker for iOS or iPadOS to scan the area around you and see if an AirTag is nearby.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
well he is partly right in that an Iphone user is alerted if an airtag is close by for any length of time. So if you bike thief is an Iphone user he/she will get an alert and helped to find and disable the airtag.
Airtags were designed to enable finding things like keys etc and rely mostly on blu tooth connections/connections to nearby Iphones for tracking purposes. They have no SIM and no GPS ( which makes them low cost) so long range tracking is less viable.
There is no real alternative to a GPS tracker and that means paying not only initially to buy the device but also then paying subscription fees to cover the cost of data sent by the SIM to host servers and recovered on an app on your phone.

There are 2 alternative ways to design a GPS tracker. One being with its own internal/rechargeable battery and the other being one able to run from a (c12v) power source. So most car GPS devices are the latter connected to a feed that is constantly live. There are now a couple of Ebike GPS devices that are powered by the bikes main battery but they also require a standby rechargeable battery for when the bike is switched off. GPS trackers that are stand alone are lower cost and probably the richest selection of those types of tracker are those designed for pets ( dogs and cats). No tracker will work if encased in a bike frame ( blu tooth trackers like Airtag can have their blutooth signal blocked by anything in direct line of sight between it and an Iphone.

I use a tracker in both my bikes provided by a company called Tractive........and yes, they are actually designed for dogs! They work flawlessly.
The associated app gives their current location ( anywhere in the world) , battery charge status, and GPS signal. I set a "safe Zone" where they are stored. If either is moved eyond that safe zone I get an alert on my phone. Similarly if the battery gets to only 10% charge I get an alert. Every movement of the bike is tracked and can be viewed in "history" mode on the app. The distance and track is invariably identical to my Strava for any ride. The latest version which I have in one of my bikes is set so as to be a ble to identify if it is within range of my home wifi and goes into power saving mode. This means no battery usage when the bike is within my wifi range........which is coincident with the safe zone I set. Being actually designed to be attached to a dogs collar they are waterproof and knock proof. Costs are about £45 purchase price and £5 a month for the basic subscription. A slighlty dearer subscription adds additional functionality such as global rather than national coverage and the a bility to nominate 2 others who can also track the movements of the tracker. The latter being a useful function if you have an accident in the middle of some woods somewhere and you are late returning.....maybe not if your supposed mtb ride is in fact a clandestine visit to the pub!
Battey life: I typically do a 15 mile ride twice a week...the rest of the time the bike is in the safe zone/power saving zone. I charge them about once a month.

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
well he is partly right in that an Iphone user is alerted if an airtag is close by for any length of time. So if you bike thief is an Iphone user he/she will get an alert and helped to find and disable the airtag.
Airtags were designed to enable finding things like keys etc and rely mostly on blu tooth connections/connections to nearby Iphones for tracking purposes. They have no SIM and no GPS ( which makes them low cost) so long range tracking is less viable.
There is no real alternative to a GPS tracker and that means paying not only initially to buy the device but also then paying subscription fees to cover the cost of data sent by the SIM to host servers and recovered on an app on your phone.

There are 2 alternative ways to design a GPS tracker. One being with its own internal/rechargeable battery and the other being one able to run from a (c12v) power source. So most car GPS devices are the latter connected to a feed that is constantly live. There are now a couple of Ebike GPS devices that are powered by the bikes main battery but they also require a standby rechargeable battery for when the bike is switched off. GPS trackers that are stand alone are lower cost and probably the richest selection of those types of tracker are those designed for pets ( dogs and cats). No tracker will work if encased in a bike frame ( blu tooth trackers like Airtag can have their blutooth signal blocked by anything in direct line of sight between it and an Iphone.

I use a tracker in both my bikes provided by a company called Tractive........and yes, they are actually designed for dogs! They work flawlessly.
The associated app gives their current location ( anywhere in the world) , battery charge status, and GPS signal. I set a "safe Zone" where they are stored. If either is moved eyond that safe zone I get an alert on my phone. Similarly if the battery gets to only 10% charge I get an alert. Every movement of the bike is tracked and can be viewed in "history" mode on the app. The distance and track is invariably identical to my Strava for any ride. The latest version which I have in one of my bikes is set so as to be a ble to identify if it is within range of my home wifi and goes into power saving mode. This means no battery usage when the bike is within my wifi range........which is coincident with the safe zone I set. Being actually designed to be attached to a dogs collar they are waterproof and knock proof. Costs are about £45 purchase price and £5 a month for the basic subscription. A slighlty dearer subscription adds additional functionality such as global rather than national coverage and the a bility to nominate 2 others who can also track the movements of the tracker. The latter being a useful function if you have an accident in the middle of some woods somewhere and you are late returning.....maybe not if your supposed mtb ride is in fact a clandestine visit to the pub!
Battey life: I typically do a 15 mile ride twice a week...the rest of the time the bike is in the safe zone/power saving zone. I charge them about once a month.
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The hardware you use is certainly intriguing, not to mention cost effective! Do you mind if I ask where on the bike you have installed the tracker?

STLC22

Aug 24, 2022
Norway
Anyone any experience with a gps tracker? Any feedback on whether they work or not? What brand etc. I'm on an aluminium frame so curious to know if a tracker is effective?

Cheers
I use this with the insurance and are very satisfied with it.
Yes it can be removed by a gangster but the insurance still cover it and the insurance also cover if someone is threatening me to give him/her my bike.
HOME - BikeFinder

Last edited:

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
I use this with the insurance and are very satisfied with it.
Yes it can be removed by a gangster but the insurance still cover it and the insurance also cover if someone is threatening me to give him/her my bike.
HOME - BikeFinder
Hi, thanks. Have you tested it to see how reliable/accurate it is? I've seen several reviews posted from customers who have had issues with the unit actually sending a gps signal.

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Weird. I can track baggage all over the world with an AirTag. That’s limited alright, to the planet earth. (Korea doesn’t work).

@OP. I’ve tested 2 gps systems. They both suck. Go AirTag.

also AirTags can be detected. 1 with a RF detection kit. So unless you’re working with the government or wanna pay $1,000 you won’t have one.
so two is another way that I’m not gonna explain but you’d need some things in place your common Criminal doesn’t need to know because they’re stupid enough not to make money in any honest career field.
Hi, thanks for the advice. Which other gps unit did you try? What sucked about it?

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
I have the:
Sherlock GPS Tracker - didn’t last a
Month of use. Vibration probably killed it. It needed plugged in almost every night. (So if stolen from storage they’d know something is in the bar that needs power)

AlterLock- better. Goes on your water bottle mount so if you have a water bottle holder they can look integrated. Charg lasts a couple weeks.

Living in a city gps tracking does no good. Once the thief goes under the cover of a roof it’s reading gps reflection. So it’ll show 60 meters left right up down all over until the battery dies. So you won’t know building but in range you can connect via BT and turn on alarm. But in my experience you’d need to be with in about 10’ so good luck when it’s behind European walls and doors. (Not hollow like American walls and doors).
Really useful info. Thanks

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the:
Sherlock GPS Tracker - didn’t last a
Month of use. Vibration probably killed it. It needed plugged in almost every night. (So if stolen from storage they’d know something is in the bar that needs power)

AlterLock- better. Goes on your water bottle mount so if you have a water bottle holder they can look integrated. Charg lasts a couple weeks.

Living in a city gps tracking does no good. Once the thief goes under the cover of a roof it’s reading gps reflection. So it’ll show 60 meters left right up down all over until the battery dies. So you won’t know building but in range you can connect via BT and turn on alarm. But in my experience you’d need to be with in about 10’ so good luck when it’s behind European walls and doors. (Not hollow like American walls and doors).
My trackers work everywhere I ride and because I usually drive to my rides with the bike in my van I know it tracks OK then as well. True it will not pick up gps satellites when the bike is in my house but it does when it is in my garage. The difference is the foil backed insulation everywhere in the house so it is like a Faraday box. Any gps device has the same limitation

STLC22

Aug 24, 2022
Norway
Hi, thanks. Have you tested it to see how reliable/accurate it is? I've seen several reviews posted from customers who have had issues with the unit actually sending a gps signal.
No I haven't tested how reliable it is but if it get stolen that's the insurance company jobb.
I think the insurance who you can buy beside to Bikefinder is very good but what type of insurance you have may be different in different countries. In Norway it's 'Tryg" who work together with Bikefinder so you can't choose what insurance company you want.

Last edited:

Dannage

May 28, 2022
UK
Weird. I can track baggage all over the world with an AirTag. That’s limited alright, to the planet earth. (Korea doesn’t work).

@OP. I’ve tested 2 gps systems. They both suck. Go AirTag.

also AirTags can be detected. 1 with a RF detection kit. So unless you’re working with the government or wanna pay $1,000 you won’t have one.
so two is another way that I’m not gonna explain but you’d need some things in place your common Criminal doesn’t need to know because they’re stupid enough not to make money in any honest career field.
Airtag range is about 30feet give or take on its own. It gets updates through the apple "find me" network that will send a signal on if there is another apple phone nearby. So yes, perfect for luggage when you're near it. Totally useless when they've stolen your bike and put it in a container for a few nights to see if its being tracked.

There is also software on apple phones that will alert a user if there is an airtag nearby that has lost their owners signal. So if the thief has an iPhone it will eventually alert them to the tag anyway.

Not a security device at all. Even apple advised against this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles