Bike rack.

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
Hello people i was sick of lifting the decoy in and out of the car and could not bring the dog with me. I bought a bike rack which was delivered today.
I have a question I am used to having alloy bike and this is my first carbon bike. I am paranoid about damaging the carbon.
Instead of clamping the bike on the top tube do you recon it be ok to clamp around the air can?
The way I am looking at it the clamp is not that tight and if the worst happens I can replace the air can? Does any one else hold their bike in the rack like this.?
I got buzz rack e scorpion ( single bike).

20200525_164057.jpg

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I wouldn't clamp the shock that way. From what I can see, you'll be putting a lot of lateral force not the shock as the car vibrates, which could lead to shock seal or mounting hardware failure.

Hitch mounted racks are best.

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
Hello thanks for the reply I looked at getting one of the fake top tape adapters but with zero stack you would have to put it around handle bar and the tension be off center. The weight of the bike is not on the shock just just to keep it vertical. Maybe a better photo will show what I mean

20200525_175412.jpg

20200525_175344.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just clamp it on the top tube and use a rag/chamois to protect it - I uses to have a neoprene velcro sleeve I used when I had a rack like that, bit like this:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I just bought the same rack!
I put on my carbon Trek Rail and clamp on the top tube, I can't see any issues, just don't do it up to an inch of its life.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Also I noticed you have your bike on the wrong way round, the front wheel should be on the side with two straps to stop the wheel waggling in the airstream ?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I’d clamp it on the top tube with a rag in between the clamp and the top tube. Doesn’t need to be too tight as long as you aren’t in race car mode on the way to the trails.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I'd be concerned about that connection on the top tube. One large bump in the road... especially with a 50lb bike.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Can you clamp it nice and tight on the crank arm? Never used this rack in person so not exactly sure how it functions under driving conditions.

Or just buy a pickup truck with a tailgate pad. Problem solved.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I too have a CF frame. I wrap a piece of closed cell foam "6 x 4" under the jaws and tighten up until it is firm on the top tube. I can lock the clamp knob so it doesn't go loose. Then I wrap some Gorilla strap in a figure of eight pattern around the clamp and top tube. If I didn't have a Gorilla strap I would use a normal strap and buckle. Even if the clamp was to come loose the strap would stop it falling.

The weight of the bike is taken on the wheels. The clamp is just to stop the bike from pivoting down to the ground while the car is moving!!!

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
Can you clamp it nice and tight on the crank arm? Never used this rack in person so not exactly sure how it functions under driving conditions.

Or just buy a pickup truck with a tailgate pad. Problem solved.
The bike is tied down by the wheels so the clamp is really only to stop it falling backwards or forwards. I would love to get a pickup with only a drivers seat that would solve all my problems ?, I will order one of those neoprene pads and try that. I will clamp it to the shock tube until it arrives. Should have bough an alloy bike ?, I do like the decoy to be fair it's my first ebike and loving it.

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
I just bought the same rack!
I put on my carbon Trek Rail and clamp on the top tube, I can't see any issues, just don't do it up to an inch of its life.
I will say I looked for a while before picking this one. Its extremely well made surprisingly so.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I will say I looked for a while before picking this one. Its extremely well made surprisingly so.
Same here I did a lot of research, it's the only one that ticked all the boxes for me.
Folds up small to get in boot, not too heavy, can take an ebike of up to 30kg and can take large wheel base bikes.
I was just deciding between the single bike or two bike version .
But the nose weight for my tow bar is only 55kg so two bikes and a heavier carrier was out of the question.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
How’s the folding and unfolding procedure? They made it look quite lengthy in the video compared to my Atera Strada DL3.
I quite fancy the eScorpion for when I go out on my own.

Currently, I put a bit of pipe insulation round the part of the frame I clamp before I put it in the rack... and don’t ratchet it up very tight.

Maherto

Feb 22, 2020
Dublin
How’s the folding and unfolding procedure? They made it look quite lengthy in the video compared to my Atera Strada DL3.

Currently, I put a bit of pipe insulation round the part of the frame I clamp before I put it in the rack... and don’t ratchet it up very tight.
I not that experienced with bike racks but it seems fine to me I think It weights 15kg. I am impressed with the clamp to the ball sees very positive and easy to hold when putting on. Overall I think I made the right choice which is a first for me. I got it in the uk and shipped to ireland which saved about 100 euro compared to local price.I only got it as when I put the bike in the car the hound had to stay behind and I could not take the eyes looking out the window as I driving off.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

I've got both, the Atera and the Scorpion .
Once you get the hang of the Atera you can get it on the tow bar in about 15 seconds, the Scorpion has two actions rather than one to clamp, so it takes about 10 seconds longer to attach.
But when it's on, it's better in every way.
The wheel tracks are wider and longer, you can roll your bike up and along it rather than lifting it. The straps are easier and more secure and the clamp is better.
It folds up in seconds, so you can leave it on the car in a smaller form factor or put in boot.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
View attachment 32064
Kuat V2. Holds two Ebikes and comes with a maintenance clamp to elevate the rear wheels for Maint. Super easy to clamp the bikes down. Comes with an integrated bike lock for each bike and a hitch lock as well.

View attachment 32063
These racks are great, but most uk towbars have a tow ball and not a receiver hitch like in the USA, and they dont sell these or the Thule version for our tow balls ?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
View attachment 32065
Kuat V2. Holds two ebikes. Integrated locks (3). One for rack and one for each bike. Has an integrated bike repair stand/clamp for trail repairs. Gets the rear wheel elevated.
Put your rack’s front clamp up against the fork arch. That way if the back strap fails for any reason the rear end of the bike won’t be able to elevate up off the rack.

Last edited:

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Put your rack’s front clamp up against the fork arch. That way if the back strap fails for any reason the rear end of the bike won’t be able to elevate up off the rack.

@rb. Lol...not YT related, but my friend and I argued about this positioning many times. He too prefers to place the hook ~180 degrees from the arm pivot (nearly crossing the axle). He's worried it's going to mess up the fork or cable and isn't convinced it holds better than his method.

I place mine between the "V" of the tire and fork body. I never read the manual...it just make sense if you think about it.

I simply gave up trying to explain it to him....it's not my bike or rack and I don't drive behind him!

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
have any of you guys used a Sea Sucker with your E Bikes? im considering one for my Decoy. 20kg limit on the sea sucker means a battery off job i think though.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
@Irfan1712 - I wouldn't risk that, or want to remove battery each time I went to ride. The bike is expensive and so is your car paint/glass. In fact, I'm reluctantly upgrading my perfectly-functional Kuat Sherpa v1 to Kuat NV 2.0 just to accommodate the ebike mass. Racks are challenged enough to maintain stability by 30lb bikes, much less 50+ lb ebikes. Check out the slo-mo videos on e-trailer's website and you'll see what I'm talking about.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
@Irfan1712 - I wouldn't risk that, or want to remove battery each time I went to ride. The bike is expensive and so is your car paint/glass. In fact, I'm reluctantly upgrading my perfectly-functional Kuat Sherpa v1 to Kuat NV 2.0 just to accommodate the ebike mass. Racks are challenged enough to maintain stability by 30lb bikes, much less 50+ lb ebikes. Check out the slo-mo videos on e-trailer's website and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I think you're wise to upgrade.
I purchased the 1upUSA Heavy Duty rack, specifically to handle my 55# Decoy.
I have a F150 but lifting the bike onto the tailgate pad wasn't something I regularly enjoyed doing. I have a 15 year old Thule rack which fetched a good resale price and offset the cost of the 1up rack.

I'm happy with my purchase. The 1up is very low profile, easy to use and quite stable.

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales

to be fair the Sea Sucker is a tried and tested rack - i see what your saying but if they are installed correctly i see no issue with paint (assuming common sense is used by putting the sucker on a clean non dirty / gritty surface) and the other suckers on the rear glass or boot / trunk lid. There's always the risk of it failing but i've not read any horror stories of bikes falling off roofs due to the sea sucker. Perhaps due to incorrect installation, or not pumping up the suckers every so often on a long journey but not due to the system itself. Downside seems to be the weight of the E Bike being on the threshold of what the single bike sea sucker could carry, but i believe the dual bike system is more than ample.

i cant install a tow bar on my car due to the lower diffuser and i dont want to drive around with roof rails on my car during the week or keep taking them on and off.. hence i though the Sea Sucker would be ideal as i dont have many other options really lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles