Bike fixing and you

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I like to think I give my LBS the chance to shine when it comes to diagnostic work on the electronic side of things, but when they put a set of new brake pads in without a call or permission saying the bike was too dangerous to test ride without out them (less than half worn and working perfectly)then that’s when I loose any trust I was trying to build up. I have on two occasions at different shops made the mechanic put the old pads back in and argued the fact I did not ask for the work to be done then I tend to be a tadge cynical

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
From my first bike, I couldn't afford upgrades or fixes so I learned to fix them myself. Started with the most basic of bikes, the basic components and it went from there as the technical complexity of bikes increased.
First it was cantis, then V's then Hope C2's, Bomber forks, gearing systems, hubs and on.

Forums such as RetroBike and Single Track World were my instructors. People relating what they knew. Plenty of pics, advice, solutions to problems and then as you tube became more popular that was a place to go to see a fix or such in real time. Easy to pause, rewind and watch again and again till i could do these things blindfold.
Once you have the basics and you've stripped and rebuilt a few dozen bikes and serviced their components, you gain confidence in your abilities and sometimes the only thing stopping you is unfamiliarity of a particular fork, shock or brake.

But even then the only thing stopping you is fear itself. The instructions are readily available, how to vids on YT, personal accounts on forums, it's all there, you only need access it.

In the beginning i couldnt afford new parts, so i had to take it off, sell it on a forum or ebay to get funds for the bit i wanted/needed, and to sell something on for the best price it needs to be in the best condition, so i would sit in front of the tV, a small collection of tools beside me, some cleaning and wiping rags, a tin of GT85 and strip, clean and polish the parts, sometimes going as far as sanding out scratches and other marks using increasing grits of wet and dry, finishing with metal polish and lacquer.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I like to think I give my LBS the chance to shine when it comes to diagnostic work on the electronic side of things, but when they put a set of new brake pads in without a call or permission saying the bike was too dangerous to test ride without out them (less than half worn and working perfectly)then that’s when I loose any trust I was trying to build up. I have on two occasions at different shops made the mechanic put the old pads back in and argued the fact I did not ask for the work to be done then I tend to be a tadge cynical
I think I would be thanking them for the free pads in that case...

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
5 years ago I knew nothing, I am an Engineer all be it electrical. I've amassed a large bike tool collection and listened and watched loads of advice. A bike stand is something I'd say is pretty much essential, also a torque wrench as if you don't have any mechanical sympathy you could make a mess of stuff by overtightening things. Drivetrain maintenance is also essential but easy to learn. Good luck, don't be afraid to ask and don't believe everything you read.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm with @Mikerb on the suspension, and since I got an emtb, the "e" stuff too. Everything else, I do myself, mostly - sometimes the LBS is so quick and cheap for some stuff that I let them do it. As long as I can book it in and get it done the same day. Every LBS should operate a booking system! (y)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Cheap LBS…..sure!
Yes, I can't believe what he charges. There have been a few occasions when I have challenged him on his prices. I really want this guy to stay in business. I took my son-in-laws bike in because his front brake was seized and I just couldn't shift it. The LBS couldn't unseize it either despite using proper unseizing kit (I can't remember what he called it). He said that he had spent nearly half an hour on it. He recommended that I discard the caliper and buy new. He didn't have a suitable replacement in stock or he would have done the job. I asked him how much and he told me no charge because he couldn't fix it! He asked me where would his customers be if he charged them every time that he failed to fix something? I forced a fiver on him (which I now think was a bit cheap, but it was either that or a twenty and I thought that was a bit much).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Everything except wheel building and truing, and I'm planning on rectifying that as soon as possible.

Fork servicing is easy, although I've to do a damper service.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
To be fair, I needed a couple of sets of cup and cone washers to align a caliper probably under £10 if I ordered them in . I called in a a "Tiny" bike shop in Flixton, Stretford, the owner gave me 8 sets, wouldn't take any money, just asked for a post on his website.
Still some old school business men around.
I went back 6 months later and bought a bike from him for my grandson.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Everything except wheel building and truing, and I'm planning on rectifying that as soon as possible.

Fork servicing is easy, although I've to do a damper service.
Definitely go for it. Possibly because I'm tight but I did a DIY alignment jig, serviceable but ugly
Bought in a dishing tool, spoke tension guage & an accurate indicator.
3 successful rebuilds to date.

IMG_20200426_144439.jpg

winsail

Aug 23, 2022
What's your comfort level? That's the determining factor. The other factor is how wealthy you are and do you have time? Ask yourself do I fix my own car? Do I repair and install anything that goes wrong in my household (even if it's a van)? Can I fix my cell phone, laptop software and hardware if it's broken without help? If you answer no to all those questions you will need to take your ebike into the LBS. If you suck at repairs I'm sure you know that. It's time consuming to fix your own bike but can save you quite a bit of money to buy more stuff if you have the time, talent and temperament. It also feels nice to understand how your bike works.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.....sorry...don't think those analogies all apply. A bike is a pretty simple mechanical device. On an EMTB the motor is out of bounds if in warranty so what is left that you can work on electrically are connections and 2 components ....which can be changed out (remote and controller).
Most work on a bike is cleaning and lubeing.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
everytime something breaks or needs maintenance I learn how to do it. usually youtube or similar. Mainly to get the bike back working quickly. Its incredibly useful when it comes up again, to be able to fix it in short order. I also have quite a range of spare tyres/bearings/screws/mechs/chain/cassette etc.

Most important thing to do I think is keep the chain and cassette clean. I can't stand gritty sticky shifting so mine is done very frequently.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Re chain cleaning.
Cleaned chain with a chain cleaner tool & cleaning product. Checked chain for wear, no stretch indicated.

Cleaned chain in an ultrasonic cleaner. Measured chain dry, now showing 0.5 worn. (Obviously no crud inside the roller's)

Put chain in a hot paraffin wax bath until bubbles had stopped. Hung chain & allowed to cool fully. Thoroughly flexed the chain to clear excess.

Rode bike for about 1 mile. Rechecked chain wear, it's now back to measuring no wear.

Will still clean & lube as normal, keeping a close check.
If nothing else I know that there's no grinding paste inside the roller's.
Will it extend the chain life?
Is it worth the messing about?
Do I really care?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles