Bike Covers

Colin-T-Woods

Jun 15, 2019
North Shropshire
Looking for a high quality cover to protect two Levo's on a tow bar mounted bike rack. ‘Googling’ brings up many options as does EBay, but what isn’t clear is whether they will accommodate two full-sus emtb’s. Anyone have any experience of a particular cover?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Protect them from what?

A cover on the rear of a towbar mounted rack is...a bit... erm...

Hasport-Sauce-Spot-chute-shot.jpeg

But if you must... Fiamma do a pretty sturdy one that closes on the back reducing that drag effect (slightly)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I already lose 10% on my mpg with one unprotected bike on my tow bar rack. I shudder to think what I would lose of the bike was wrapped in a cover.

Just protect the bits you are concerned about. I have seen neoprene covers + velcro (think wet suit material) for the motor and battery area. That of course would do dual duty in stopping the chilling of the battery in winter, even if there was no rain. If I saw something like that, that wasn't outrageously expensive, I might buy.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looking for a high quality cover to protect two Levo's on a tow bar mounted bike rack. ‘Googling’ brings up many options as does EBay, but what isn’t clear is whether they will accommodate two full-sus emtb’s. Anyone have any experience of a particular cover?

I think you should just buy a nice horsebox. A HB511 has loads of space to stuff a nice bunk bed in, two bikes, half you house and viola. Sell it five years later in France and you'll get what you paid for it.

As Gary says, a bike cover will act like a parachute, worst case scenario is you damage the bike, best case scenario is you get the ever embarrassing Levo toe as the fabric is forced around your bike ..

Colin-T-Woods

Jun 15, 2019
North Shropshire
All very good points, but this is for use on the rear of a motorhome (smells better than a horse box). I assume the motorhome will punch quite a large hole in the air (remember Guy Martin cycling at 112 mph behind a truck).
It is as much to keep them hidden from prying eyes as for protection as we tour around.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think @Gary has you "covered" here with his suggestion ..

But just go for the XL.

Don't just dissuade people who might look for bikes. Dissuade people who look for bikes on the back of motorhomes and go for the full disguise..... (you might want to cut out a few eye holes, in case it's not a one way mesh type finish on the windows).
cover.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
From bitter experience. Covering expensive bikes on the back of a motorhome will not hide them from thieves... quite the opposite.
Always travel with them inside your motorhome. Better still keep them fully out of view in a storage compartment if your motor home has one large enough.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From bitter experience. Covering expensive bikes on the back of a motorhome will not hide them from thieves... quite the opposite.
Always travel with them inside your motorhome. Better still keep them fully out of view in a storage compartment if your motor home has one large enough.

I think he's suggesting, that in the worse possible scenario, you consider a "wife rack" for the tow bar. Obviously with a cover, we're not cruel.

Barryjm

Dec 9, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
Heading out for a day at the bike park, I agree why would you need a cover! However, going camping with your bikes and facing having to go food shopping or stop at motorway services or even leave at the campsite with £10k of ebike mounted on a toe bar then I certainly do want to hide them away as best I can!

I got my cover from Bags4Everything, it is not a perfect fit but is pretty large, covers both ebikes and is made from a tough waterproof material. Just wrap 6 to 8 adjustable straps around the cover/bikes to reduce the balloon/sail effect. Bit of a faff putting it on but does help with peace of mind when having to leave unattended. I combine it with two Gold rated bike locks and chain for further peace of mind.

Not as secure as leaving at home but I bought them to ride them!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles