Bike computer vs phone computer? Whats the best

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
yeh I just bought TF gold as well yesterday, was only £9 for the year so cant complain. Spent more on beer yesterday!

ive flipped around between many apps and a Garmin Edge. Currently using Komoot (with the one off payment World Maps) for turn by turn navigation. I load gpx’s from AllTrails, TF as well as home made ones into Komoot ?
TF has navigation? I’ve somehow missed this, be perfect if so for now.....

I tried Garmin edge....was crap, laggy didn’t want to respond to users path choices, bit like the first ever Tom Tom, I turned it off in the end, anyone else had better experiences?

If TF has nav why the need for Komoot?

GPX files, so can they load from TF into Komoot t out of interest, if TF wasn’t very good?

Your using the phone or a Garmin?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Komoot it doesn’t have a search facility, at least on the IPad I’m using? All I can do is search the curated official collections and pick from there, some are very good. I can build rides with it also, it sounds like you can find trails but how? Is it the paid version perhaps?
Yes you can search, at least on Android. Just go to full screen map and hit the search. Shows the routes of the place you are looking for.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
TF has navigation? I’ve somehow missed this, be perfect if so for now.....

I tried Garmin edge....was crap, laggy didn’t want to respond to users path choices, bit like the first ever Tom Tom, I turned it off in the end, anyone else had better experiences?

If TF has nav why the need for Komoot?

GPX files, so can they load from TF into Komoot t out of interest, if TF wasn’t very good?

Your using the phone or a Garmin?

Komoot has proper navigation where as TF is limited to ride logging and rudimentary route following.

Yup you can export gpx files from TF website and then click the + button top right of the Komoot website which allows you to import them. Theres loads of guides and videos in the help section of both websites which should give step by step instructions ?

Ive used both but currently on an iPhone with Komoot.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Komoot has proper navigation where as TF is limited to ride logging and rudimentary route following.

Yup you can export gpx files from TF website and then click the + button top right of the Komoot website which allows you to import them. Theres loads of guides and videos in the help section of both websites which should give step by step instructions ?

Ive used both but currently on an iPhone with Komoot.

Went to swinty moor and Stainburn today, the komoot performed really well, couple times it lagged or lost its orientation but that might be might be my iPhone 7 more than anything!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Went to swinty moor and Stainburn today, the komoot performed really well, couple times it lagged or lost its orientation but that might be might be my iPhone 7 more than anything!

I think they all do that, all of my phones/apps, even my Garmin used to do that as well. Guess its just something to do with how they connect to the satellites.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Second time out with the tech, again Komoot was spot on and garmin in places had its uses. Does anyone know how to record a trail with red/black detail like you see on these trails? Is it like a cadence sensor or something? When I did my ride it was all recorded in blue even though it’s exactly the same trail that someone else made and theirs has all the details

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Don't trust os maps to give you usable routes. I did a loop using the map and online app. Some of the bridleways had been downgraded to footpaths but the locals said they were not used. And after a very long slog pushing over the moorland up a rather high hill and standing on the bridleway according to the map/phone it didn't exist. It might have been an old packhorse track years ago but not now. Thankfully my fitter mates found something about a mile higher up. So always double check if possible that the bridleways are usable and don't trust map fully.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So you know when we record a route in Komoot as an example, how do we get the trail difficulty scales (s0-s5) to colour in the route? I saw a good route, selected it, completed it and uploaded my route with some photos etc but it was all coloured blue instead of what the original posters was.....be nice if the trail would record the trail difficulty somewhat

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles