Bike box/ storage solution

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Evening folks

I am planning to move into new accommodation soon and will have to give up the luxury of keeping my bike under the stairs indoors.
My apartment has nowhere to store a bike normally (on its own two wheels upright) and I want to find out what bike boxes of bags you guys use for your Levo's or other e-mtb's.

It'll be a pain in the arse to take the wheels off twice a day for the sake of keeping it indoors but that's my only way that I would be allowed to keep the bike indoors but at least that way I know it will be safe.

If it helps, my budget for such a box/bag would be £250 as I am not using it for travel and purely storage, I can sacrifice the robustness to an extent and hence the lower budget.

I've tried looking on google at boxes - and there's lots but I can't seem to find much in the way of what people have experienced using with an emtb.

Thanks in advance. :)

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
So, you need to leave your bike outside and are looking for some way to protect it ? What is the climate where you live ?
No, I'll be keeping it indoors but will have to remove the wheels to save space. It's also to help keep my accommodation clean.
So storage temperature isn't something important.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So you are looking for a kind of trunk you can put the bike in to keep it out of the way inside? Most bike bags and boxes will require turning/taking off the handlebars to put the bike in them - presume you are looking for something you dont need to do this?

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
So you are looking for a kind of trunk you can put the bike in to keep it out of the way inside? Most bike bags and boxes will require turning/taking off the handlebars to put the bike in them - presume you are looking for something you dont need to do this?
As you say most are like that. If I have to get one like that then so be it...as long as I can keep the bike indoors safely.
I'm more so wondering what bike boxes or bags people have used that fit their ebike nicely. I've looked at loads of reviews of different ones but it seems impossible to see whether someone has tried with an emtb.

Cheers

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Might not be what you're looking for, but I had one of these in my apartment and just used the top spot to place my bike, leaving the bottom spot empty with the hooks removed. You really develop a strong back and shoulders ;) View attachment 10845 USPS.JPG

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Might not be what you're looking for, but I had one of these in my apartment and just used the top spot to place my bike, leaving the bottom spot empty with the hooks removed. You really develop a strong back and shoulders ;) View attachment 10845 View attachment 10846
I like that! Shame I have to take my bike up a set of stairs before my room otherwise I'd like that. Could you link me one please?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Resurrecting the thread as I have a similar requirement.

I’d like a bag (padded ideally) that can take a bike without wheels but with bars and pedals on. This is for transporting in my Avant and storing away.

Any good suggestions?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just spotted this thread due to Fivetones resurrection.

What is wrong with a cardboard bike box? I still have the box that my YT Capra came in. It stays in the garage and I use it as a shelf. But as you are prepared to remove the front whee, ,an emtb should fit in there (pedals off). The bars may stick out the top, but it's in the corner, under the bed, out of the way. :)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Not a bad suggestion Steve but I don’t have the box (just collected the Orange Surge today).

I don’t mind wheels but whipping pedals off and on all the time will get old.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not a bad suggestion Steve but I don’t have the box (just collected the Orange Surge today).

I don’t mind wheels but whipping pedals off and on all the time will get old.

When I use to transport my bike inside the car, the front wheel and the pedals came off every time, on again when I got to the trail, then off and on again later. I found that turning the bike upside down made the whole process faster. Repetition helped me to get really fast at this, to the point it was normal and unremarkable. I was actually surprised when I read your comment that "whipping pedals off and on all the time will get old".

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
If you're willing to keep the wheels on and space isn't an issue but cleanliness is, then take a look at velosock (Google it) which might be a good fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles