BH Atom X spontaneously shut down and won't restart

1 Bike Lover

Mar 10, 2022
San Diego, California
Hi Everyone,

I bought my Atom X two and a half years ago and I absolutely love it, however about two weeks ago just after I left my house for a ride, the bike suddenly powered itself down and nothing I had done since would bring it back to life.......until yesterday.

I'm posting this to hopefully help out anyone else who might suffer the same problem.

I'm in the US and if you didn't know, BH pulled out of the US (just after I bought the bike) partly I believe because of the impact of Covid 19. Unfortunately that has left US BH owners without any easy support.

I even contacted the US arm of Brose, who I thought had supplied the the power and control modules to BH for this bike, however, they informed me that they only supplied the motor.

Let me get to the solution: The problem lay in the power/mode button module on the left handle bar (pictured). Foreign matter (dust and moisture perhaps?) had found its way between the two surfaces that have a series of spring loaded electrical connections. I was quite surprised that this wasn't a bit more resistant to the elements, and it's not like I have ridden in any torrential downpours (I live in San Diego).

It must have happened through the gentle clean up I do after rides.

I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures of this during the process, I was just focused on trying to get my bike operational again and frankly I was just poking around in the dark.

The module is in two parts, upper and lower, almost like a split hamburger bun, and to split the two, first you have to remove the two small screws on the bottom side of the module that secure the clamshell bracket that holds the module on the bar.

When you've removed the module from the handle bar it will give you access to a third (slightly longer) screw that is securing the upper and lower halves together. Once the three screws are out, there is a black plastic tab that needs to be pushed down to allow the two halves to be slid sideways apart.

When you've done that, you will see the series (maybe 7 or 8?) of tiny electrical contact connections. It was here that I saw that one of them had some tiny build up around it. It was simply a matter of wiping the surfaces clean, putting them back together and the problem was resolved and the bike was up and running again.

And now I'll be super careful when I clean the bike again.

Good luck and safe riding.

IMG_9046.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles