Best rear mud tyre for 2020 levo comp

Mac Sinclair

Dec 11, 2019
Cumbria
I’ve recently traded up from a 2018 levo to the 700watt cheers comp

All good and I’m still getting used to it, however I have noticed the rear mud clearance isn’t as good at the rear

Any suggestions on mods or tyre options would be much appreciated

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
I have one on order and dealer agreed to put the same 2.6 butcher on the back at no charge since read somewhere that the narrower eliminators also have more slip. Hopefully that helps with mud too and I don't have to worry about changing them out right away.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
my main preference of mud and dirt trails is Surly Dirt Wizard 27.5"x3" - amazing grip.
Recently I changed to Michelin E Wild....absolutely not happy in Wet Conditions at all.
I will give them a change at dry condition but for mud and wet Surly can't be beaten (IMO).

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
tropical rain showers every night where I live so trails always muddy and wet. Can't believe how well the specialized hillbilly 29 x 2.6 performs in these conditions. Superior to any other tire I have tried including the butcher, all the minions. So much less side slip on off camber wet roots and greasy rocks and sheds mud beautifully. Better clearance in the rear then the 2.6 Maxis DHR2 that it replaced which slid sideways on off camber wet roots horribly in comparison. I was actually stunned at the improvement since everyone raves about the minions being the best which has not been my experience in our conditions. Give the hillbilly a try.

Mac Sinclair

Dec 11, 2019
Cumbria
I'm using a 2.6 Schwalbe Magic Mary on the front and 2.4 Michelin Wild Enduro on the rear, this combo has been brilliant right through the winter.
Thanks I’ll give that a go. A 2.4 should do the trick on mud clearance
tropical rain showers every night where I live so trails always muddy and wet. Can't believe how well the specialized hillbilly 29 x 2.6 performs in these conditions. Superior to any other tire I have tried including the butcher, all the minions. So much less side slip on off camber wet roots and greasy rocks and sheds mud beautifully. Better clearance in the rear then the 2.6 Maxis DHR2 that it replaced which slid sideways on off camber wet roots horribly in comparison. I was actually stunned at the improvement since everyone raves about the minions being the best which has not been my experience in our conditions. Give the hillbilly a try.
Thanks, another great option, I’m going to have to do my homework!

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Are you guys using Hillbilly as a rear tire?
Yes, I will be very soon and have read nothing but good comments in the reviews when it is used on the rear as well in wet conditions. My tire just came in to my LBS today. Waiting on a new ultra light wheelset and will install it on the rear. Right now it is simply astounding how scary the rear 2.6 inch DHR II exo+ is, just continuously sliding sideways back-and-forth on wet slick roots/ greasy rocks while the front just simply holds on with the slightly skinnier 2.6 inch hillbilly (63 mm versus 60.5 mm at widest point on 30 mm ID rims 20 psi).
By the way, I'm a real lightweight so I run incredibly low pressures of 11 and 13 PSI for better grip when it is wet. I can get away with it most can't. But I noticed on the first few rides with the hillbilly where I ran higher pressure of 16 and 18 psi in the front to see how stiff the sidewall support might be, it also held on without slipping excessively sideways at the higher pressures. The higher pressures just transmitted more of the trail chatter to the hands and not as comfortable. DHF 2.5 inch, when I pump them up 16/18 psi the grip deteriorated significantly on my trails-understand that is w/ my weather conditions, soil, etc. Just wanted to point out the difference that I noticed which is really sweet.
When we ride to the top of the mountain and bomb downhill scary fast I do go with higher pressures and it's nice to know you still have the grip with the hillbilly when it is wet which is almost always here.
Finally, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to pay $40 less for a tire that works better.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles