Best glasses for winter/dark times?

sorensi

Jun 10, 2020
Norway
I am looking at clear glasses that work well during the winter months. Especially during the day on forest trails. . Any recommendations here? I already have the Julbo React 0-3 Photocromic, but I find them a bit dark even at the lightest.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Oakley Photochromic lenses are good in the full sun and for night riding. I've tried Chinese knock-off lenses, and they are not even close to being as good as OEM.

I'm currently using Oakley's Trail Torch lenses. They protect your eyes from the sun and increase contrast. They're great for all daytime conditions, but are not good for night riding.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Oakley Photochromic lenses are good in the full sun and for night riding. I've tried Chinese knock-off lenses, and they are not even close to being as good as OEM.

I'm currently using Oakley's Trail Torch lenses. They protect your eyes from the sun and increase contrast. They're great for all daytime conditions, but are not good for night riding.
Interestinly enough iv just got back from bike park wales where my trail torch lenses seemed a bit dark through the woods, iv used them for years, first time in the daylight "albeit in the woods" they let me down

Reactions: Dax

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Interestinly enough iv just got back from bike park wales where my trail torch lenses seemed a bit dark through the woods, iv used them for years, first time in the daylight "albeit in the woods" they let me down
Used to wear Oakley Trail Torch glasses but now wear Oakley Trail Torch goggles which have ~36% VLT. When it gets too dark for them have some Smith low light ski goggles (with the foam cut out) with a VLT of ~50%.

Why do I now wear goggles?

Reason is that I have hearing aids (hearing damage from a previous life road racing stupid dB bikes) and if I wear glasses and crash then I risk losing a hearing aid. Don't ask me how I know. At £1,500 an ear its not a risk I want to take. Do look like a dork with goggles in summer but hey, if it means I don't lose £1,500+ in the undergrowth in a crash then I'm good.

Last edited:

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Last winter, I ran Shady Rays Snow Googles and you can swap out the lens. Perfect since I need a darker shade while the sun is out due to the glare off the snow, but then I can switch to clear when the sun sets. Just bought the yellow lens to try out as well.

Milktoast

Sep 4, 2023
Australia
I had the same issue in overgrown/forested areas too but the price for mtb glasses was pretty expensive. I ended up buying two pairs from Temu with clear transition lenses for $10 AUD each.
They're comfortable and have held up really well so far.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles